Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance, UK

Car Insurance, UK

Old Apr 7th 2016, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

gorasahib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance, UK

I have to go back to the UK for periods of time over the next year or so, sometimes for several months.

Whilst I could hire a car for some of that time, it will get quite expensive.
I've been trying to figure out how I would be able to use a car (either buy or borrow) on my US driving license and have UK car insurance. I am a US resident so know that I shouldn't use my UK license to drive any more. I do have an address in the UK so perhaps that helps.

In any case, I have been unable to get any useful information about how I could get car insurance in the UK using my US driving license whilst no longer being a resident of the UK.

Does anyone know if that is possible and, if so, how would I go about it?

Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2016, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance, UK

Originally Posted by gorasahib
I have to go back to the UK for periods of time over the next year or so, sometimes for several months.

I've been trying to figure out how I would be able to use a car (either buy or borrow) on my US driving license and have UK car insurance. I am a US resident so know that I shouldn't use my UK license to drive any more. I do have an address in the UK so perhaps that helps.

In any case, I have been unable to get any useful information about how I could get car insurance in the UK using my US driving license whilst no longer being a resident of the UK.

Thanks
Get your UK address on your UK license and I believe you are good to go.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 4:49 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Check out rates for long term rentals, where insurance is covered, i suspect its less of an issue. There are a number of gotchas.

if someone lends you a car knowing you arent insured they and you are in legal trouble.

You cant buy a uk registered car without a uk address.

If you dont legally own the car the principal of insurable interest may mean that you arent insured even if they take your money.

You cant tax the car without valid ownership and insurance. No tax will get you caught quickly.

They [insurers]never ask people for license details normally, nit their problem they just wont pay up, and you can drive on a foreign license for 6 months.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 6:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gorasahib

Thanks
Chances of getting a company to insure you if you are not a UK resident are virtually zero.

Don't even consider breaking the law by giving a UK address for residency if you are not a U.K. Resident.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 7th 2016 at 6:28 pm.