Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance - no claims discount

Car Insurance - no claims discount

Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of
Default Car Insurance - no claims discount

Moving back to Wales next month from Australia and wondered if there's a piece of paper I should be asking insurance company here for to confirm 2 years of no claims?

Also - if I can get something, will any insurance company take it into account? I've heard it's horrendously expensive these days so any discount would be great.

Thanks in advance :-)
Old Dec 21st 2012, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance - no claims discount

I am sure your insurance company would have something to indicate your NCB but I didnt have anything when I came back and found that they would give me a small NCB but, yes, insurance was quite expensive - a bit cheaper because we both had UK licences I think. I found the Co-op to be cheapest (though really not so outrageous as it also covers road service) and was a tad ticked off with Aviva which promised named drivers on other policies a good deal - have been able to drive my dad's cars for decades but they made no accommodation for that. It was just a matter of ringing round although of course I tried confused.com, comparethemarket.com etc first.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:01 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to a claims history from your insurer, I would recommend that you get a copy of your driving record (traffic infractions etc) from the appropriate govt. authority.

I found National Farmers Union to be the best. I was able to speak to someone and explain my situation and they accepted the letter from my insurer and my Alberta Govt. driving record. My problem with the online quotes was that most would not even provide terms as soon as they discovered I did not have a UK license. If you have a UK lic. Then you might find decent terms through "go compare"

Good luck.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

We were advised to get a statement from our insurers, not just a copy of the policy statement. We did that and had no problems getting it all recognised (we were with GIO in Oz, and our first policy here was with Aviva via a broker).
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
In addition to a claims history from your insurer, I would recommend that you get a copy of your driving record (traffic infractions etc) from the appropriate govt. authority.

I found National Farmers Union to be the best. I was able to speak to someone and explain my situation and they accepted the letter from my insurer and my Alberta Govt. driving record. My problem with the online quotes was that most would not even provide terms as soon as they discovered I did not have a UK license. If you have a UK lic. Then you might find decent terms through "go compare"

Good luck.
This is the very reason I always say, go to a broker for your first year (I use one every year now). Online is all well and good, but the back office system is designed for yes/no answers. It helps to have someone to go into bat for you and do all the explaining. Yes you pay a little extra for it, but it's a lot less hassle IMO.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it would be a nightmare having been away for 12 years but it was easy, I had a letter from my Australian insurer but didnt need it. I told the insurer here what no claims I had and they accepted it without seeing any proof, CO-OP Eco Insurance.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone. Still have my UK licence with no points and by some miracle have not had any fines here. I'll ask the insurance company for a letter showing my two years of no claims and hopefully get some discount. Not looking forward to insuring the teenager next year though!
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
Thanks everyone. Still have my UK licence with no points and by some miracle have not had any fines here. I'll ask the insurance company for a letter showing my two years of no claims and hopefully get some discount. Not looking forward to insuring the teenager next year though!
There have been changes to the insurance system in the last week or so, it's now illegal for insurers to offer a different rate for male and female drivers, this does mean that the insurance services are going to have to equalise the rates, despite the evidence that female drivers are the best group. Teenagers are, I'm afraid, really penalised with policies often costing far more than the value of the car they are driving, and is they are added to a parents policy the cost usually just leaps up.