Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in Massachusetts

Car Insurance in Massachusetts

Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:14 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Car Insurance in Massachusetts

Anyone got experience of buying car insurance in MA?

I know its different as the state govt largely sets the prices. For this reason most of the major insurers Geico, Progressive etc wont do business in MA.

I wondered if anyone lived in MA and got car insurance? How much for standard passenger car roughly? what are the good/best companies to use? who should you avoid?

Thanks its all useful info as i occupy myself with reams of wife annoying and extremely anal planning for a move up north in the summer. My spreadsheets and memo's are coming along nicely so far.

thanks,

Duncan
Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:32 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Call GEICO!

They'll give you a quote. I've had them for about 10 years.

1-800-841-3000
1-800-932-8872
Old Mar 17th 2004, 10:35 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Call GEICO!

They'll give you a quote. I've had them for about 10 years.

1-800-841-3000
1-800-932-8872
Geico dont do business in Massachusetts. They cover 48 states but not MA. Nor do any of the other major companies, Progressive, State Farm etc.

Only 22 companies do insurance business in MA and they are nearly all MA companies.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 10:42 pm

Great to know... I drive through Mass almost every weekend in the summer!

Now I know if I get hit on the Mass Pike they'll probably have an Ins Company I've never heard of.

Duncs... I've gotta tell ya... Where you are going to is absolutely beautiful, we have a home in Vermont (same kinda scenery) It's just breathtakingly beautiful.

You are going to feel so good when your all settled in, the seasons and the people are the best.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:00 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Great to know... I drive through Mass almost every weekend in the summer!

Now I know if I get hit on the Mass Pike they'll probably have an Ins Company I've never heard of.

Duncs... I've gotta tell ya... Where you are going to is absolutely beautiful, we have a home in Vermont (same kinda scenery) It's just breathtakingly beautiful.

You are going to feel so good when your all settled in, the seasons and the people are the best.
Its the government pricing controls that cause it. essentially they level out the prices across the board so everyone pays similiar prices with smaller variations than pure market pricing might create. Its good for young people in the city as it artificially lowers their prices but bad if you are a safe driving older person in rural Mass. Lots of politcal controverys though and MA Governor Mit Romney says he wants to scrap the system and allow a free market but the last time they did that in the 70's the prices rocketed so it was soon back to price controls.

mainly i just wanted advice about a good MA company to go to for a quote.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I live in MA. We got our car insurance through AAA. It is called The Commerce Insurance Company. It is fairly expensive because we have 3 cars on it and our son has only been driving for about 18 months so that hikes it up a bit. Hope that helps. Where about in Boston/MA are you planning to live?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 4:14 pm

cbone is on a distinguished road
Default Car Insurance

Duncs

We went through a broker in Boston who took into account our UK driving history.

PLI Brokerage, details are:-

Marlene Ferrante
Account Manager
PLI Brokerage, Inc.
Phone: 617-695-2244 Ext. 210
Fax: 617-695-2288

Call her she is very helpful. We insured a '00 Durango and a '03 Focus and it cost about $2000 for the 2 full comp. The insurance was with Plymouth Rock.

They also do home insurance and will give a discount if you use the same company. After looking around I couldn't find a cheaper place.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 18th 2004, 4:36 pm

cbone... you are a helpful doll!

Thank you for being a nice person!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:33 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by joto
I live in MA. We got our car insurance through AAA. It is called The Commerce Insurance Company. It is fairly expensive because we have 3 cars on it and our son has only been driving for about 18 months so that hikes it up a bit. Hope that helps. Where about in Boston/MA are you planning to live?
Cambridge.