Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance help required

Car Insurance help required

Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance help required

Originally Posted by Englishmum
(See: Applying for Your First Driver License and scroll down to 'Drivers from Other Nations') It's a bit alarming where it says that the road test examiner retains one's foreign licence during the test, the DMV keeps it and *destroys it* after 60 days!!! (You can ask the driving test examiner not to have it destroyed though....what a bloody cheek, how dare they even choose to destroy a licence issued by another country...grrrr).
tell 'em to sod off, it ain't your license to hand over anyway...or just say you don't have it with you, as it's handy having a UK license anyway *l*
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I just got my Illinois license 2 weeks ago and did not get a permit, nor was I told that I needed one. I am 100% certain that you do not need to get a learner's permit. When I took my test no-one asked to see a learner's permit or even mentioned it (and I took different parts of my test at 2 different DMV's).
Different state, different rules...most do require a learners permit before allowing someone to take a test though...in maine if under 23, have to have a learners permit for 6 months before being allowed to take a test for instance...and a UK license is good for 12 months in this state...
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

sanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nice

AIG will cover you. I was in exactly the same situation as you about a year ago and signed up for AIG's inbound USA programme. They will insure you on your British licence.

PM if you want further details.

Sanj2010
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

I just got my Illinois license 2 weeks ago and did not get a permit, nor was I told that I needed one.
The crucial word here is ILLINOIS. Driving Licenses are regulated by each state. It is not a federal thing. The regulations, requirements etc vary from state to state.
And when I lived in New York, not only did they want me to get a learner's permit but they also told me I had to take a 30 hour driver's ed. course! (I already had a Georgia license but that's another story.) Which is why I now have an Ohio drivers license.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:15 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I am 100% certain that you do not need to get a learner's permit.
And I am 100% certain that in New York state you DO need to get a learner's permit before you take the test - unless they've changed the rules since I took my test in New York two years ago, which I doubt. However, despite the NY DMV stating on their website that they take your UK license off you - in this case you're right, they didn't even ask to see mine at any point.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:21 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
And when I lived in New York, not only did they want me to get a learner's permit but they also told me I had to take a 30 hour driver's ed. course!
30 hours??? Dearie me, the one I had to take in NYC was only 5 hours, which broke down as follows:

2 hours of crappy quality instructional videos dating from the early 80s
1 hour of the instructor emphasising repeatedly that you shouldn't turn up at the test pissed
1 hour in Krispy Kreme across the street
1 hour to do a laughably easy test which really took only 20 mins to complete

Last edited by elfman; Nov 29th 2005 at 2:36 am.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Fanghorn will become famous soon enoughFanghorn will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone - you have renewed my hope./..........for now anyway.

Going to hassle the DMV tomorrow.

Cheers
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

jamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud ofjamjar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elfman
30 hours??? Dearie me, the one I had to take in NYC was only 5 hours, which broke down as follows:

2 hours of crappy quality instructional videos dating from the early 80s
1 hour of the instructor emphasising repeatedly that you shouldn't turn up at the test pissed
1 hour in Krispy Kreme across the street
1 to do a laughably easy test which really took only 20 mins to complete
Yeah I have no idea where the 30 hour thing came from --probably someone at the DMV talking out of their ass. I wasn't half shocked though because when I got my license in Georgia, (my first driver's license, I didn't have British one) I got my learner's permit and then went back a couple of weeks later took a very short and easy multiple choice test, drove around the block with the instructor and that was it -- I had my license
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:56 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjar
Yeah I have no idea where the 30 hour thing came from --probably someone at the DMV talking out of their ass. I wasn't half shocked though because when I got my license in Georgia, (my first driver's license, I didn't have British one) I got my learner's permit and then went back a couple of weeks later took a very short and easy multiple choice test, drove around the block with the instructor and that was it -- I had my license
The ability to talk fluently from one's arse is the only requisite qualification for working in the DMV.

...although a healthy hatred of other races and an inherent belief in your own superiority despite overwhelming mental limitations are traits that are always looked upon favorably.

Those rejected by the DMV are automatically shortlisted for the Social Security Help Desk jobs.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
The ability to talk fluently from one's arse is the only requisite qualification for working in the DMV.

...although a healthy hatred of other races and an inherent belief in your own superiority despite overwhelming mental limitations are traits that are always looked upon favorably.

Those rejected by the DMV are automatically shortlisted for the Social Security Help Desk jobs.
Sounds like a good job opportunity for British Expats....
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fanghorn
Thanks everyone - you have renewed my hope./..........for now anyway.

Going to hassle the DMV tomorrow.

Cheers
I moved to NY when I first came to the US; as far as I remember I got my SSN within 14 days of arriving.

I can't remember getting a learners permit for driving, I drove on my UK license for a few weeks, then I had to do a written test at the DMV, then I attended a classroom session on driver safety one evening and got a certificate to prove I had attended, after that I registered for my driving test with the code number from the classroom certificate.

The process was pretty easy, the worst thing I had to put up with was the line at the DMV - so get there early.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:55 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I moved to NY when I first came to the US; as far as I remember I got my SSN within 14 days of arriving.

I can't remember getting a learners permit for driving, I drove on my UK license for a few weeks, then I had to do a written test at the DMV, then I attended a classroom session on driver safety one evening and got a certificate to prove I had attended, after that I registered for my driving test with the code number from the classroom certificate.

The process was pretty easy, the worst thing I had to put up with was the line at the DMV - so get there early.
This is how I would envisage things working.
If your UK license is valid for a limited period of time after your arrival why would you need a learner's permit ??? Surely this makes absolutely no sense.
Personally I would go to the DMV and try to get the NY license asap and not mention anything they don't mention to you first.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:14 pm
Russell Beattie

rbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nice

Your UK driving license should be OK for up to 1 year after which you have to take the driving test within the State you are resident. You do not have to get a learners permit as your UK license will be recognised as an international license. You will however have to take the full test - no big hassle.

Insurance can be gained but you have to get a broker who is prepared to spend some time on the phone with head office explaining your special circumstances. For me this was Nationwide, and initially it was only a short term at extreme cost while I built a record.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Car Insurance help required

Originally Posted by rbtuk
Your UK driving license should be OK for up to 1 year after which you have to take the driving test within the State you are resident. You do not have to get a learners permit as your UK license will be recognised as an international license. You will however have to take the full test - no big hassle.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Each State is like its own little country with its own laws. Which is why some States have the death penalty for some crimes whilst others don't for a similar crime.

Personally, I would not want to take the risk of driving without a licence in the US and then find out if involved in an accident or if the car is stolen that the insurance company won't pay out as I'm considered an uninsured motorist......
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Each State is like its own little country with its own laws. Which is why some States have the death penalty for some crimes whilst others don't for a similar crime.

Personally, I would not want to take the risk of driving without a licence in the US and then find out if involved in an accident or if the car is stolen that the insurance company won't pay out as I'm considered an uninsured motorist......
I concur...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.