Reload this Page >

car insurance - esure caveat

car insurance - esure caveat

Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:23 am
Anglophile Scientist

bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car insurance - esure caveat

Hiya,
so I've found a lot of good advice on this site, and have been pointed to a few insurance companies and esure has come out as one of the cheapest. it needs to be used with one big caveat though: you need to be aware that you'll be handled by incompetent indian call centre reps as well as incompetent live chat reps. my position was a bit complicated, i admit: having arrived in the UK at the beginning of September 2006, i wanted to insure my car, having a full EU licence for 12+ years. On the website conditions I found out that my details included 'Resident of the UK for over 1 year'. Now the livechat imbecile told me that I could buy the insurance online (to take profit of the 10% online discount) and then rectify this issue by phone. OK, went ahead, then called India to be told: 'We can't insure you if you have not been in the UK for over a year; we'll insure you for 7 days and then cancel your insurance'. Me: 'Ask your supervisor'. Same thing. OK, thought one more customer service idiot who doesn't know shite. Called back to get another bloke on the phone. Now the problem was 'You don't have a UK licence'. Me: 'Yeah that's what I told everybody before I bought the insurance'. Them: 'If you don't have a UK licence you can't get insurance from us'. WTF? So, I'll be waiting for my refund (which will hopefully arrive) and go with another company. Summary: be cautious with those guys.
Thanks for listening to my rant.
Best,

Ralph.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: car insurance - esure caveat

Originally Posted by bassman578
Hiya,
so I've found a lot of good advice on this site, and have been pointed to a few insurance companies and esure has come out as one of the cheapest. it needs to be used with one big caveat though: you need to be aware that you'll be handled by incompetent indian call centre reps as well as incompetent live chat reps. my position was a bit complicated, i admit: having arrived in the UK at the beginning of September 2006, i wanted to insure my car, having a full EU licence for 12+ years. On the website conditions I found out that my details included 'Resident of the UK for over 1 year'. Now the livechat imbecile told me that I could buy the insurance online (to take profit of the 10% online discount) and then rectify this issue by phone. OK, went ahead, then called India to be told: 'We can't insure you if you have not been in the UK for over a year; we'll insure you for 7 days and then cancel your insurance'. Me: 'Ask your supervisor'. Same thing. OK, thought one more customer service idiot who doesn't know shite. Called back to get another bloke on the phone. Now the problem was 'You don't have a UK licence'. Me: 'Yeah that's what I told everybody before I bought the insurance'. Them: 'If you don't have a UK licence you can't get insurance from us'. WTF? So, I'll be waiting for my refund (which will hopefully arrive) and go with another company. Summary: be cautious with those guys.
Thanks for listening to my rant.
Best,

Ralph.
Ralph

Has your US insurance company have UK offices? We were with Pilot Insurance in Canada which is part of Aviva. Norwich Union is also Aviva so my wife and I got 65% no claims discount when we moved back to the UK.

When we returned to the UK in 2005 we changed our old UK license for the new EU photo style. It may be worth doing some searches on the internet and look at some of the online quotes as they stipulate if you need to have so many years in UK or type of licence.

We managed to insure 2 family cars fully comp for under ₤400 after being outside the UK for over 8 years.

I can not see an issue having a EU driving licence either. Hope you find a good deal.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 4:33 pm
Anglophile Scientist

bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi hudd, thanks for your helpful comments. I'll need to change my EU licence anyhow to a UK licence if i want to drive in the UK for longer than 3 years ... but I did get a nice quote from Virgin and have taken a policy with them. They were quite helpful and did not make a fuss.
Best,
Ralph.

Originally Posted by hudd
Ralph

Has your US insurance company have UK offices? We were with Pilot Insurance in Canada which is part of Aviva. Norwich Union is also Aviva so my wife and I got 65% no claims discount when we moved back to the UK.

When we returned to the UK in 2005 we changed our old UK license for the new EU photo style. It may be worth doing some searches on the internet and look at some of the online quotes as they stipulate if you need to have so many years in UK or type of licence.

We managed to insure 2 family cars fully comp for under ₤400 after being outside the UK for over 8 years.

I can not see an issue having a EU driving licence either. Hope you find a good deal.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bassman578
hi hudd, thanks for your helpful comments. I'll need to change my EU licence anyhow to a UK licence if i want to drive in the UK for longer than 3 years ... but I did get a nice quote from Virgin and have taken a policy with them. They were quite helpful and did not make a fuss.
Best,
Ralph.
When speaking to the DVLA about driving on my American licence, they said you can drive up to a year on it. If you move back, once the year is over, you have to get a UK licence. If you leave and return to the UK, the year renews itself.

I'm writing before I've looked, but not sure where your from, a couple countries are basically.. interchangable if you like with UK licences. Example: People with a Candian licence, can come to the UK and swap there licence for a UK without doing the test. Sure it's not quite that simple, but probably easier than re-sitting the British test!

As for insurance quotes etc, might want to try www.confused.com It lists almost every insurance company possible and lists individually what there quote is, to find you the best quote.