Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance costs

Car insurance costs

Old Feb 6th 2015, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

BevJez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance costs

Is US car insurance similar to UK costs?
Old Feb 6th 2015, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Car insurance costs

From my own personal experience, no.

In the UK we paid less than 40 GBP per month for one car and 1 4wd, here we pay $200 per month for almost the exact same style vehicles. I am in Katy, Texas. It may differ other places.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 8:22 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's family here in the States swear by AAA (we just got here two weeks ago). I bought a car a couple of days ago and got quotes from AAA beforehand. Then I went to Geico and they were half the price.

I found Geico to be only slightly more expensive than what I was paying in the UK (around $55 p/month), however I was expecting worse from what I had read on these boards. Pleasantly surprised.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I recently used comparenow.com to get quotes after buying a new VW Golf

I then went back to my existing insurer, Geico, and got them to beat the prices I got. I pay $60/month for myself and wife.

http://www.comparenow.com/ppc-landin...f8gaAvwq8P8HAQ
Old Feb 6th 2015, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new quote!!! Good prices!!
Old Feb 6th 2015, 10:08 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LJSassy
Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new quote!!! Good prices!!
The prices might look good, but what level of cover does it buy. You have to make sure you are comparing oranges with oranges.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
The prices might look good, but what level of cover does it buy. You have to make sure you are comparing oranges with oranges.
There is typically "state minimum" insurance, which is fairly cheap, but the liability coverage is grossly inadequate, leaving you exposed to being sued if you are involved in an accident. In NY state minimum is $50,000 for injury to people and $10,000 for damage to property, so if you have state minimum insurance you'd better hope that you don't hit and kill a corporate executive driving a Ferrari, because the executives heirs' lawyers will come after you for every penny they can squeeze out of you.

The rule of thumb, that appears to be true across much of the US, is that insurance for a new immigrant is going to cost you about $1,000 for six months. It doesn't appear to make much difference whether you're driving an old crate or a mid level Ford/Chevy/Honda/Toyota.

The good news is that the cost falls fairly quickly, within 3-4 years. We are currently paying $1,300 in aggregate for a year for an Accord, a Mustang GT, and an F250 crew cab.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 7th 2015 at 1:14 am.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:48 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

$750/6 months for my newish Dodge pickup plus the beat up Maxima. (most of the bells and whistles on the Dodge insurance, State min on the Maxima). Versus $300 for just the Maxima minimum previously. Progressive beat Geico.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 2:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
$750/6 months for my newish Dodge pickup plus the beat up Maxima. (most of the bells and whistles on the Dodge insurance, State min on the Maxima). Versus $300 for just the Maxima minimum previously. Progressive beat Geico.
But you didn't step off the plane yesterday, did you?
Old Feb 7th 2015, 2:21 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But you didn't step off the plane yesterday, did you?
True, that is after 10 years, no claims. I was equating my price to yours, rather than a newbie. Oops
Old Feb 7th 2015, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by RICH
True, that is after 10 years, no claims. I was equating my price to yours, .....
Oh, right, .... same ballpark then.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

We've also found it to be much more expensive, although not as bad as we feared. We're using Mercury who offer a discount for engineers (and other professions). We're paying a little over $200 per month for a new Toyota Sienna and Ford Mustang GT. That's for well over the state minimums. Been here just six months now.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 6 months, bought a new Ford Focus last week.

Nearly every insurance quote I'm getting in around $500 per month.
It's obscene - don't know where to turn to get a half decent quote.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's a lot. We don't even pay that much for three cars!

Tried State Farm, Geico, Progressive etc?

Looked at whoever insures your house to see if you can add on car insurance?

Looked at higher deductibles?

Talked to an agent?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

When I came (several years ago now) I talked to a State Farm agent. That meant I could explain, and show from my UK no claims discount papers, my claim free history. I believe this helped and I got a fair deal. I do not know how much discretion they have, but I think discussion with an agent is always going to be better than the automated on-line systems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.