Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance advice

Car insurance advice

Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:51 am
Just Joined

DukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really nice
Default Re: Car insurance advice

Originally Posted by Ray
Of course they will ..you do know that price was per month
I asked 2 questions, which one were you referring to?

And no, that's the quote for 6 months - I might be stupid enough to try and get cheap car insurance by bending a few truths, but I know how to read an insurance quote:

Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DukeGuy

And no, that's the quote for 6 months - I might be stupid enough to try and get cheap car insurance by bending a few truths, but I know how to read an insurance quote:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2uy0m08.jpg
http://britishexpats.com/forum/ic.com/2uy0m08.jpg
Makes no difference what the price is...if you've obtained it by 'bending a few truths'...you have no insurance cover. You're paying for thin air.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:04 am
Just Joined

DukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really niceDukeGuy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I appreciate that but how can we tell you for sure whether the info you give/don't give will invalidate your insurance? As a rule of thumb I always think if you make a claim and there is the slightest way the insurance company can wriggle out of paying...they will.
I guess the bottom line is I don't want to pay a lot of money for insurance on a car that's not worth it and I fail to see how we foreigners who have been driving for a long time should have to be put in the same risk bracket as a 16 yr old cracker.

Makes no difference what the price is...if you've obtained it by 'bending a few truths'...you have no insurance cover. You're paying for thin air.
I'm paying for a piece of paper that says I'm insured and that I can show to the Police or anyone else if I need to. Making a claim however, might prove more difficult.

Last edited by DukeGuy; Nov 4th 2010 at 5:07 am.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the bottom line is I don't want to pay a lot of money for insurance on a car that's not worth it and I fail to see how we foreigners who have been driving for a long time should have to be put in the same risk bracket as a 16 yr old cracker.

I'm paying for a piece of paper that says I'm insured and that I can show to the Police or anyone else if I need to. Making a claim however, might prove more difficult.
I know it doesn't seem fair or right but we've all had to suck it up. It was your choice to live here...

You are paying for a piece of paper that says you're insured but it will be subject to certain conditions...which by the sound of it you haven't met. What if you are injured...what about the 3rd party if the accident is your fault?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:20 am
Just Joined

I know it doesn't seem fair or right but we've all had to suck it up. It was your choice to live here...

You are paying for a piece of paper that says you're insured but it will be subject to certain conditions...which by the sound of it you haven't met. What if you are injured...what about the 3rd party if the accident is your fault?

I know, and I'm playing devils advocate here - but you see - just because everyone before has accepted that this is the way, doesn't mean we should just accept it on faith - you have to question these things (ever heard the bananas and monkeys story? http://paws.kettering.edu/~jhuggins/humor/banana.html). The part I was thinking about most is the same as you; the liability if I were to blame for something - which would then have my insurance investigate my policy, no doubt invalidate it and then I'd be left with the consequences...

...I'd better drive carefully then!

Last edited by DukeGuy; Nov 4th 2010 at 5:23 am.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're driving a junker and don't mind filing for bankruptcy if you're sued, just get the state minimums.

Or move to NH, where you aren't even required to have insurance....which pisses me off as anyone within an hour of the border has to pay higher premiums for because of it.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I know, and I'm playing devils advocate here - but you see - just because everyone before has accepted that this is the way, doesn't mean we should just accept it on faith - you have to question these things (ever heard the bananas and monkeys story? http://paws.kettering.edu/~jhuggins/humor/banana.html). The part I was thinking about most is the same as you; the liability if I were to blame for something - which would then have my insurance investigate my policy, no doubt invalidate it and then I'd be left with the consequences...

...I'd better drive carefully then!

OK after this post I'm done with this because you've obviously made your mind up. I would check with your state whether you are allowed to drive without valid insurance.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://i56.tinypic.com/2uy0m08.jpg
http://britishexpats.com/forum/ic.com/2uy0m08.jpg
wow ..what a bargain ...shame its no good for you
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I might be stupid enough to try and get cheap car insurance by bending a few truths...
Might be?

Ian
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I bought an $8K car for cash when I moved here. It cost $900 for the first 6 months (with a new US license). Now, it's around $400 after 2.5 yrs living here, it's dropped each renewal. I do have to shop around and have had 3 different insurance companies in that time because the prices vary so wildly.

Just cough up - it's just not worth being dodgy and not being adequately covered for you or third party if/when things go wrong... ESPECIALLY with the cost of medical care here.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

I work in the Insurance industry. Whilst not on the private clients / motor side the principals are still relevant - you have a duty to disclose all material facts when taking out a policy. The onus is on you to make this disclosure.

If you take that policy you will effectively be driving without insurance. Do you really want to do that in a country as litigious as the United States?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

one thing they will do, is take your money for premium and then ask for previous ins...policy..if you can't provide it, they will raise your premium even though you have paid in full....
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Ok, ok, I knew it was too good to be true!

I continued on the 'buy the policy' not because I'm going to (I'm not even going to buy the car I am using for the quote) but because I wondered how far it would let me get to....then I got stuck:

So...the answer to the question is 'no' you can't get cheapo insurance through the internet because they ask the right questions AFTER they tell you how much the policy is. Those sneaky swines!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok, ok, I knew it was too good to be true!

I continued on the 'buy the policy' not because I'm going to (I'm not even going to buy the car I am using for the quote) but because I wondered how far it would let me get to....then I got stuck:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2rq20rc.png

So...the answer to the question is 'no' you can't get cheapo insurance through the internet because they ask the right questions AFTER they tell you how much the policy is. Those sneaky swines!
Yes we know that...Ray tried to tell you...