Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance

Car insurance

Old May 25th 2004, 7:12 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance

Probably all been said before but I just paid $1,500 for 6 months' car insurance - that's $3,000 a year! I paid less than 300 pounds for the same cover in the UK. Oh the joys of being an immigrant. But OH THE JOYS of finally having a car!

Old May 25th 2004, 7:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

at the end of the 6 months policy shop around again as you'll then have driving history.
Old May 25th 2004, 7:16 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
at the end of the 6 months policy shop around again as you'll then have driving history.
Will do. I've been driving my father-in-law's truck since December and he had me on his insurance. But apparently that doesn't count as history. I'm going to try our credit union at the end of six months. The good thing about the car is we got a loan for it which means I'm not only building driving history but credit history too. Finally things starting to become a little normal - and I've only been here a year and a half!
Old May 25th 2004, 9:08 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Question

is there any dealers offering free insurance when buying new cars in us, like they do in uk?? - might be worth pursuing??

Ant

Originally posted by Scarlett-Dallas
Will do. I've been driving my father-in-law's truck since December and he had me on his insurance. But apparently that doesn't count as history. I'm going to try our credit union at the end of six months. The good thing about the car is we got a loan for it which means I'm not only building driving history but credit history too. Finally things starting to become a little normal - and I've only been here a year and a half!
Old May 26th 2004, 4:48 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by antjen
is there any dealers offering free insurance when buying new cars in us, like they do in uk?? - might be worth pursuing??

Ant
nope I don't think so.

however that said, if you owe money to a bak for a vehicle, and don't have insurance, they're more than happy to put physical damage on the car for you and send the bill in the mail.
Old May 26th 2004, 7:19 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Car insurance

Probably all been said before but I just paid $1,500 for 6 months' car insurance - that's $3,000 a year! I paid less than 300 pounds for the same cover in the UK. Oh the joys of being an immigrant. But OH THE JOYS of finally having a car!

Ouch. Where and what for a Rolls Royce?

We paid $850 so thats $1700 a year. Wife(USC) main driver me as extra. Moving to Massachussetss oon and got quoted $1380 for years worth, oh the joys of price control. Hurray for liberal massachussetts!
Old May 26th 2004, 7:50 pm

Originally posted by Duncs

We paid $850 so thats $1700 a year. Wife(USC) main driver me as extra. Moving to Massachussetss oon and got quoted $1380 for years worth, oh the joys of price control. Hurray for liberal massachussetts!
NOPE. Not a Rolls. A very inoffensive 2001 Chevvy Prizm. I think your wife may have made the difference for you. I'm the only driver in our family and an immigrant. 20 years driving with not even a speeding ticket to my name means nothing. I just have to suck it up. The cost will come down eventually. Meanwhile, I'm just delighted to have the thing on the road.

Cheers
-=-
Scarlett
Old May 27th 2004, 9:20 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

NOPE. Not a Rolls. A very inoffensive 2001 Chevvy Prizm. I think your wife may have made the difference for you. I'm the only driver in our family and an immigrant. 20 years driving with not even a speeding ticket to my name means nothing. I just have to suck it up. The cost will come down eventually. Meanwhile, I'm just delighted to have the thing on the road.

Cheers
-=-
Scarlett
I've just got a car myself (Ford Explorer). And if you think the insurance is steep now, wait till your children start to drive. Now there's expensive insurance!

Debbie

Last edited by dbark; May 27th 2004 at 9:22 pm.
Old May 27th 2004, 9:56 pm

cbone is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Duncs

Hey Duncs

Whereabouts in MA are your going to live?
Old May 27th 2004, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Just dont get a dunt, (probably pretty hard in Dallas with all these mad TX drivers) because then you will know what it costs then. We managed to get insurance with Concord for $600+ with a S10 and then added on Mitsubishi Montero XLS which pushed it up to $750 for 6 months. Then I had 2 minor dunts which cause some damage to one car's front bumper and a few scratches to the other (which they claimed 1500 damages so no wonder). Our insurance is now nearly $1200. Our daughter now wants to drive (she is 19) which will cost us another $350 plus whatever for her car. Son is also wanting to drive now he is 17. All in all we are looking towards $2000 every six months. With the youngest coming up to 15, it doesn't bare thinking about. Also heard that once your premium is up, it rarely goes down. How does the average American family afford it? Unfortunately, have no alternative as this town in 2000, voted to get rid of Capitol Metro run by Austin, so get around you need a car.