Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance

Car Insurance

Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby pay 554.22 per 6 months and you can choose to pay either monthly or lump sum. Its from USAA. We pay 96.67 per month.

Last edited by rzack; Aug 16th 2003 at 3:14 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 3:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

is that full coverage or PLPD?
Old Aug 16th 2003, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry...what is PLPD? I read the insurance letter, its covered everything.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 10:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

PLPLD is Personal Liability/Property damage or to us British peoples...........Third Party.

Full coverage is fully Comp.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 11:53 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

My hairdresser told me that her daughter was having her first driving lesson that morning, with another booked for later on in the week, two more the following week and then she would be ready for her test!!!!!! We took our US test and did not even leave the test center. One of my questions was a sign stating "all traffic must turn right" they asked what does this mean a) All traffic must turn left b) All traffic must go straight on or c) All traffic must turn right????????????

It is a completely different way of driving over here. You must assume that all other drivers are going to do exactly what they are NOT supposed to. Also, when someone flashes you, it means that they are coming - not that they are giving you the right of way!
Old Aug 17th 2003, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

RaymanInPA is an unknown quantity at this point

US driving tests are a joke.

Premium for people with UK licenses should be discounted by 30% just because they arn't like the crazies over here.

My advice...

Bad:
GEICO
SAFE AUTO

Good:
PROGRESSIVE
STATE FARM
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:39 am
Fm Mitcham 2 Clearwater F

Slartibartfast has a spectacular aura aboutSlartibartfast has a spectacular aura aboutSlartibartfast has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by kazzuk
My hairdresser told me that her daughter was having her first driving lesson that morning, with another booked for later on in the week, two more the following week and then she would be ready for her test!!!!!! We took our US test and did not even leave the test center. One of my questions was a sign stating "all traffic must turn right" they asked what does this mean a) All traffic must turn left b) All traffic must go straight on or c) All traffic must turn right????????????

It is a completely different way of driving over here. You must assume that all other drivers are going to do exactly what they are NOT supposed to. Also, when someone flashes you, it means that they are coming - not that they are giving you the right of way!
My wife took her driving test in Mass about 13 years ago. One of the questions was 'What is your seatbelt for?' a) To keep you warm in winter, b) To hold your groceries or c) to protect you in an accident. I hope I get that question when I move over as she has told me the correct answer!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>
When I was taking driving lessons at driving school last summer, there were teenagers taking a package course offered by the school. The course lasted 3 days including only 15 hours behind the wheel before they took the driving test in NC!!!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
PS. would love to see the average US citizen attempt a 3 point turn, .....
I had to do one in my NY test!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:47 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently (and I would welcome any information on this) National and State law (NJ) is that the getting US license within 60 days rule only applies to US citizens and permanent residents. However, insurance law (???) requires that within 60 days of getting insurance on an international driving license (which I am doing now - undergoing the mandatory 5 working day wait from application that is the joy of NJ insurance) you have to get a US license, with the 4-5 hour wait that accompanies that joy.

And... did anyone else know that you can only get a US driving license for the duration of your visa? Then it is suspended if you do not renew it before the expiration date, and there is a $100 penalty for it's reinstatement.

Great eh!!!!....
Old Aug 19th 2003, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Wait till Winter- that's when the fun really starts on the roads in Florida- when all the snowbirds arrive .........

I'm surprised that you can get driving lessons here- didn't know there were any driving schools. Most of the kids don't take any lessons at all (and they pass the written test questions around in school- they know all the sets of questions). Kids usually take 'Drivers Ed' in school and think that makes them drivers...scary huh!