Car Finance

Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Finance

Originally Posted by bearclaire1
Thank you for the reassurance. I do like cars, and appreciate styling over practicality. I am even tempted to buy a v6 Mustang thats only seats 4...

What I should have clarified is that it is two adults and a skinny 9 yr old boy most of the time, and room for another two adults if my parents ever visit us.
Well that changes the picture substantially - buy a smaller car for three, and rent when you need something bigger. This would also open up the possibility of a road trip in the Rockies, the South West, or West Coast, where you could fly rather that spending several days just driving to get there and back.

BTW much as I am a huge fan of Mustangs (I have a 2002 GT), the back seats are very small and unless your son is short as well as skinny he may be too big for the back seat by his 12th birthday.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:40 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I missed the V, and ignorantly didn't know they did larger versions there...

I have spoken to Ford & VW dealers, and they have said we qualify for professional schemes all dependant on the length of our visa for both new and used cars. APR between 2.9-6.9% which is all with our budget.
I took out a VW Golf through that exact scheme on a 3 year lease. (i had a 3 year L1 visa) - I definitely recommend the scheme, although the car wasn't what i wanted when i got here - it's a good start and i can now buy whatever car i want when my lease is up as i have a credit rating.

You may find you'll get charged more on APR, but it's because you're new to the US with no credit rating - it's a hit you'll have to take if you want to lease/finance - just as i did.

Edit: BTW - Don't buy a car based on visits from people once or twice a year, i almost did the same. It's honestly not worth getting a massive car to sit 5 people when you'll only utilize it 2 or 3 weeks out of the year - i speak from experience, when my parents visited they rented a car.

+1 for what Pulaski says above
Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well that changes the picture substantially - buy a smaller car for three, and rent when you need something bigger. This would also open up the possibility of a road trip in the Rockies, the South West, or West Coast, where you could fly rather that spending several days just driving to get there and back.

BTW much as I am a huge fan of Mustangs (I have a 2002 GT), the back seats are very small and unless your son is short as well as skinny he may be too big for the back seat by his 12th birthday.
It does make sense what you are thinking, and my husband has the same logic as much as I hate to admit it.

Well he certainly won't be tall with both his parents only being 5'6
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I took out a VW Golf through that exact scheme on a 3 year lease. (i had a 3 year L1 visa) - I definitely recommend the scheme, although the car wasn't what i wanted when i got here - it's a good start and i can now buy whatever car i want when my lease is up as i have a credit rating.

You may find you'll get charged more on APR, but it's because you're new to the US with no credit rating - it's a hit you'll have to take if you want to lease/finance - just as i did.

Edit: BTW - Don't buy a car based on visits from people once or twice a year, i almost did the same. It's honestly not worth getting a massive car to sit 5 people when you'll only utilize it 2 or 3 weeks out of the year - i speak from experience, when my parents visited they rented a car.

+1 for what Pulaski says above
Thanks, and yes the apr really isn't an issue as here in the UK its fairly high too.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I have spoken to Ford & VW dealers, and they have said we qualify for professional schemes all dependant on the length of our visa for both new and used cars. APR between 2.9-6.9% which is all with our budget.
They will tell you anything they think you want to hear until it comes down to signing the deal. The issue is not just the APR but what size deposit they will require with no US credit history.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well that changes the picture substantially - buy a smaller car for three, and rent when you need something bigger.
That's exactly what I did - drove to the local airport, parked my car & picked up a rental for the visit, did the reverse trip when I took the visitors back. Easy.

If only I'd followed my own advice and rented a smaller apartment instead of the 3 bed house in anticipation of the flood of visitors that would want to come and see me, I'd have saved a fortune in rent & utility bills. (they didn't, all talk and no action for most of my family and friends!)
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
They will tell you anything they think you want to hear until it comes down to signing the deal. The issue is not just the APR but what size deposit they will require with no US credit history.
Of course. I will have at least $5k and more if needed.
If I can't get finance then I will be buying an older car for cash.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
That's exactly what I did - drove to the local airport, parked my car & picked up a rental for the visit, did the reverse trip when I took the visitors back. ....
The only thing I would recommend doing different would be to rent from an off-airport location (well away from the airport) as rental rates are significantly lower because of the fees, chareges, and levies, on airport rentals.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 4:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What I should have clarified is that it is two adults and a skinny 9 yr old boy most of the time, and room for another two adults if my parents ever visit us.
If they're not going do be daily users, then rent a bigger car when they're here on holiday and save the money? Would save on insurance and petrol and open up more options.

Rav4, would be fine then.

Equinox, mentioned above is okay, but not such a fun drive but then it was only a rental so probably not that well spec'ed.

Depending on local market, you could get your Lexus too, if you wanted one that's hit the 5 year mark or more...along with Audi's, they're in your budget with the 60K mile mark and 5 year range. Those cars have a huge value drop off after 35K miles. Locally at least.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:45 am
Just Joined

LA LA LA is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question: I leased a car via international auto source, but in order to pick it up I need to show my California state ID, despite having shown all my other documents.

The thing is, it takes months for the DMV to verify one’s legal presence in California, so IAS won’t release the car for months to come. They don’t want to pay for a rental car as they say it’s my fault, even though I applied for a state ID on the first day I was in the US. They also say the $1000 deposit is non-refundable. Surely they should’ve known this is the case in California and warned me/not sell me a car?

Have any of you encountered this issue?
Old Oct 18th 2017, 1:33 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the registration document to fill in for registering a car in California
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...b-eabd471afdaa
You will see that you need to provide EITHER a CA driver license number OR a state ID number

So, if you then go to the CA driver's license page for newcomers to CA
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dl_info#two500

You will see that you have 10 days to apply for your license anyway.
Go ahead and take the test
After you pass your driving test you will be issued an interim license valid for 90 days with the number on it.

You will need your SSN first.

NB Ask IAS if the driver's license will fix the issue.

I think that must be what they're after unless anyone else has any bright ideas?

I also seem to remember from someone else here on BE that trying to book the appointments online meant a huge wait. So if you just go to one of their walk in places, you usually get it sorted in a day.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...essing_Centers

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Oct 18th 2017 at 1:34 am. Reason: more infor
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
If you look at the registration document to fill in for registering a car in California

You will see that you need to provide EITHER a CA driver license number OR a state ID number

So, if you then go to the CA driver's license page for newcomers to CA

You will see that you have 10 days to apply for your license anyway.
Go ahead and take the test
After you pass your driving test you will be issued an interim license valid for 90 days with the number on it.

You will need your SSN first.

NB Ask IAS if the driver's license will fix the issue.

I think that must be what they're after unless anyone else has any bright ideas?

I also seem to remember from someone else here on BE that trying to book the appointments online meant a huge wait. So if you just go to one of their walk in places, you usually get it sorted in a day.
Thank you, that’s some good info! Appreciate the reply! Luckily, I have received my SSN, that was surprisingly quick. However, when I spoke with the DMV they mentioned for a driver’s license to be issued I will need to pass the legal presence test as well...

I might have this wrong, but wouldn’t the leasing firm be the registered owner?
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by LA LA LA
Quick question: I leased a car via international auto source, but in order to pick it up I need to show my California state ID, despite having shown all my other documents.

The thing is, it takes months for the DMV to verify one’s legal presence in California, ....
What does that even mean? I have never heard of anyone else in CA having to have their "legal presence verified". You have a visa in your passport, right? So the Federal Government said it's OK for you to live here, right? What else are they looking for?

It sounds like you might have found one of the DMV clowns or jobs-worths, if so, go to another DMV and try again.

ETA: From the CA DMV Web site: "Applicants who are non-immigrants, but are authorized to be in the U.S. may present a Temporary Resident Identification card or other temporary resident documentation. " .... So your visa and related papers should be just fine. .... Go to another DMV and hope you find someone who knows how to do their job!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 18th 2017 at 2:20 am.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:17 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

As Pulaski said about your legal presence.

For your question about a lease car.
Section 3 on that registration form deals with that. IAS are the "legal owner"

You will be required to maintain the car registration. They will do the first one for you but they need your DL number.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:32 am
Just Joined

I have a visa in my passport, an I-94, a SSN and I’ve started working for my employer here. Apparently the holdup is that the DMV needs to scan those docs and send it to the legal presence department, which verifies it with DHS, after which a license/ID can be issued. However, the department in charge of scanning and sending the docs has a backlog of several months...

I love America, but I sure don’t like their bureaucracy. The DMV phone number just says they’re busy and automatically hangs up on you. That’s a very efficient way of dealing with customers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.