Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Dealer Rip Off! - Need your advice.

Car Dealer Rip Off! - Need your advice.

Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Dealer Rip Off! - Need your advice.

Guys, any ideas pls? Urgent.

My hubby bought a used SUV with the local dealer on 4/18/2003. The dealer confirmed:-

1. Us to pay $1,500 as down payment, which they said differently after we signed the agreement, they asked $1,900. But its okay with us.

2. The finance (loan) was approved with the monthly payment less than $400 monthly. Which actually also a lie, we have to pay $404.31, still its okay to us. They made us signed new agreement.

3. Gave us temporary license plate for two months and told us we will receive the plate within a month.

One month after that, we still did not receive any letter from the financial institute, but the dealer said "don't worry, it will be arrive anytime".

We waited 2 weeks before temp. license plate expired. Visit the dealer again on 6/8/2003. The Manager said, got problem with the finance company....they won't give the loan unless my hubby give the re-enlisment paper (army) to them. My hubby's term will be end on July 2003 and he cannot reenlist due to his injury while on duty. Thats why he transferred from Korea to Washington DC for his surgeries.

My hubby have no choice since he does not have credit history in US...he served mostly outside of US. So everytime we applied to finance companies, they rejected with the reason, not enough credit history.

One finance company agreed to loan only if he join his income with me (the wife)...the problem is, I'm trying so hard to get job now (got my EAD 10 days ago).

The car dealer do not threaten us to take the car yet...but I'm soooo worry. Its not about payment...we can afford it, it just about the FINANCE.

My question is, what we can do if the want to take the car? I plan to ask them to wait until I get job and I can joint filing it with my husband, but will they accept that since its almost 4 months since we bought the car.

Do we have legal right to keep the car? It doesn't have the permanent plate yet.

For the last two months, we paid:-

$1,900 (down payment)
$404.31 (first monthly payment to the dealer)
$404.31 (second monthly payment to the dealer)
$600 (for 6 months insurance)

Just hope some of you can give me some ideas here ...I am so worried. We are trying to build a new life, and all these CREDIT HISTORY things really messed up

Thank you guys.