Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can't Get Drivers License!!!

Can't Get Drivers License!!!

Old Nov 6th 2001, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

The International Driving Permit doesn't have any legal standing. It's nothing more than a translation of your national license with photo.

Old Nov 6th 2001, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

spalla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

North Carolina, here. We just went to the DMV this morning. Aside from the 1.5 hr wait in line, we didn't have the problems you all are speaking of. My Canadian husband entered on a K-1 back in August. The only things he needed to get a NC DL were his SS Card (with the INS authorization needed for work stamp on it), his Ontario DL, proof of NC insurance, and something that varified he is living in NC - we used the marriage license that has our address on it. He had to take the written exam. They took his Ontario license. Earlier we had called the DMV to ask them when the 60 days starts (must change to NC DL within 60 days of becoming a NC resident). They told us that it starts as soon as you establish work in the state, buy/rent a house, or live within the state for 6 months. So since we didnt get the 90 day EAD, or put his name on the lease, he had 6 months + 60 days to get the NC DL. I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but that was our experience. He didn't have to show a I-94, EAD, or AOS receipt. Maybe Canadians are different since their DL is accepted in the states.

sp