Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cancelling my passport application in Washington before it has started the process

Cancelling my passport application in Washington before it has started the process

Old Jun 29th 2011, 4:49 am
Just Joined

yum_yum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cancelling my passport application in Washington before it has started the process

I sent my renewal application to Washington (received there the 14th June - website was still saying four weeks at that stage - didn't realise the problems). I am going on a round the world trip from the 16th September (tickets not purchased yet). I have almost run out of blank pages so I sent it off to ensure I had ample space.

I had the idea of cancelling the application before it got processed. I called the Careline today and they said I should send a registered letter with my details and they will cancel it.
Unfortunately, the guy on the phone couldn't help with time-frames and whether I will get charged regardless.

Has anyone else tried to cancel their application before processing?
Did it work? how long before you got your passport back?

Really all I want is my current passport back.

Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2011, 12:54 am
Just Joined

RobbieSF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cancelling my passport application in Washington before it has started the proces

Hey , I applied to washinton ..sent them the passport and then waited ..unfortunatley I didn't have 6 weeks before travel ..soI called them and told them to forget it ..send my passport back. I went to the consulate told them I had lost my passport and needed to get home from vacation .They issued a temp one ..back in the UK I got another one on a 4 hr turnaround by turning up in person. With lost passports some UK offices need 1 week notices but London will turn it around for you.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 12:56 am
Just Joined

RobbieSF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cancelling my passport application in Washington before it has started the proces

OhI thnk I had to send a letter too ..and yes they charged me for it It took about a wek to get it back
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

This sounds a little strange...I called up this week to request they return my son's application before processing. They didn't mention having to send a letter or anything but they did have someone from the embassy call back the next morning. She asked a couple of questions about what kind of envelope it was in and when it arrived etc. and then retrieved the application for me. She spoke to the examiner and gave me a couple of options: she could return it or push the application through for me. Since I'm not traveling until August 23rd I chose the latter and noticed that they processed the fee this morning.

Not sure if this is standard procedure but it might be worth looking into rather than them charging you $100+ for the privilege of having your application sit on someone's desk for 3 weeks...
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:13 am
Just Joined

yum_yum is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. Have called a couple of times. One guy said send a letter another person sent an email so now I am waiting to hear back.
Let see what happens.