Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cancelled Licence question

Cancelled Licence question

Old Dec 8th 2017, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Jsnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cancelled Licence question

When I moved I wanted to have I.D and I obtained an MN driving instruction permit and when it was being processed I was sent a letter asking to provide a residency document as my i-94 was expiring (status check) so I provided my NOA and was accepted.

I later received a letter for an updated residency document to be handed in by 1st Dec but was waiting for my EAD card to arrive, and when it did I completely forgot about this as my head was too focused on finding employment.

I received a letter a few days ago saying my license will be canceled effective 8th Dec, I went in the next day (7th Dec) and completed a new application and showed them all of my documentation (EAD card and i797). My instruction permit card was punched, a new picture taken and I got my new yellow papers, the lady told me my current status is valid and it will change to canceled then once processed be valid again and I will receive my new card in 3-4 weeks. She said they just cancel it as they need to wait for proof that you are legally residing here,

Will having this on my driving record of a canceled license for status check affect me obtaining my green card or becoming a citizen?

Last edited by Jsnow; Dec 8th 2017 at 3:09 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 2:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelled Licence question

Sat here wondering what the hell is a MN instruction permit. Thought perhaps a gun license? Your last line explains you are speaking of a driver's license.

No, the cancellation will have no bearing on your eligibility to naturalize in 5 years (if you are not married to a USC) or on your obtaining a green card.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 2:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsnow
Will having this on my driving record of a canceled license for status check affect me obtaining my green card or becoming a citizen?
No.

Rene
Old Dec 8th 2017, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Jsnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
No, the cancellation will have no bearing on your eligibility to naturalize in 5 years (if you are not married to a USC) or on your obtaining a green card.
Originally Posted by Noorah101
No.

Rene

Thank you both