Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Canada or USA?

Canada or USA?

Old Nov 19th 2001, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

amrat is an unknown quantity at this point

If I as a British citizen was to emigrate to Canada, would I then be able to emigrate on to the USA in a relatively short period of time? Say for instance 4 years?
Old Nov 19th 2001, 5:24 pm
Jb

amrat wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

Whether you are british or canadian the possibilities for immigration to the US are
about the same it seems to me:

Marriage to a US citizen H1B to employer-sponsored greencard

If you are a canadian citizen you could get a "TN" visa and work in the US that way.
People have adjusted from TN to permanent resident.

I would try to find a US company to sponsor H-1B provided you have a degree or at
least 12 (?) years experience. It seems many fewer companies are willing to sponsor
now that the economy has taken a downward turn.

Canadians don't really have any "faster" way into the US (except for the TN to work).

Old Nov 25th 2001, 3:06 pm
Stuart

>
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> If I as a British citizen was to emigrate to Canada, would I then be able to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> emigrate on to the USA in a relatively short period of time? Say for instance[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> 4 years?[/usenetquote2]
    >

While you may be able to do that legally, it is certainly unethical, since you have
NO intention of fulfulling the committment you make when you make an application for
Canadian PR. An application for Canadian PR is a committment to establish a life in
Canada, which Canada honours with an immigrant visa. To do as you suggest means your
application to Canada for PR is in fact fraudulent.