Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Canada for healthcare

Canada for healthcare

Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada for healthcare

I know plenty of old folks up in Maine that would do the healthcare bus tour.

They'd go up on Friday, see a doctor/GP, get prescriptions and then continue on a shopping weekend in Montreal or Nova Scotia etc.

Would be private service that they pay for, but even then, with the trip, it would work out cheaper.

This was a couple years ago, so don't know about now and I've no idea about elective surgery, anything that would require more than a day at the doctors.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Because it'll cost a fortune and I wondered whether if I crossed over the boarder it'd be cheaper/free
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Because it'll cost a fortune and I wondered whether if I crossed over the boarder it'd be cheaper/free
Do you mean with deductibles and co-pays? If deductibles...like Robin said...you will probably have to pay that over the course of this year anyway. Apart from the deductible I don't think it would be cheaper to have surgery in Canada. Plus you will probably have to have follow up appointments...stay in a hotel etc.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
It won't be free, as said above, because you're not resident there. Not even sure if you could have it done (if you go to see a doc in Canada, why would they refer you for an op if you don't live there?), as it's not emergency treatment, but if you can then to find out the cost the best thing to do is ask in the Canada forum to see if anybody has had a similar thing done.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be a resident of Canada to obtain medical services without cost at point of service, if not a resident of Canada and covered under a provincial health plan you will need to pay out of pocket.

Doctor visits to a GP at a walk in clinic can be fairly cheap, usually under 100 dollars, sometimes a bit more for those without provincial health coverage.

Prescriptions can be cheaper, but not always. Depends on the medication and if its generic and on the cheap generic lists that pharmacies in the US have, we have no $4 generics here, and even if we did, the pharmacies charge between 8-15 dollars per prescription to fill.

If your visiting Canada and have an emergency, the hospitals will treat you, however they will send you a bill.

In a non-emergency dont expect to be able to hop across the border and get surgery and such, just isn't going happen.