Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can You Please Help!

Can You Please Help!

Old May 30th 2005, 3:06 pm
Cushtie Geezer

Conway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the rough
Default Can You Please Help!

Dear All,

I have a couple more questions that I would appreciate your kind assistance with.

1. How difficult and expensive is it to obtain medical insurance, for my
wife and I, on arrival in the US, as permanent residents (green card
holders), but with no recorded medical history in the US?. We both
are middle aged, and as with most people, have had some health problems
during our lives, but we both work for a living, and need to continue to
do so, in the States, and if our future employers do not provide free
health insurance, then we will have to purchase same!

2. This is a similar query, but applies to getting a credit card in the
US without any credit rating/history. How do we go about meeting
the requirements in order to be accepted as being credit worthy?

Many thanks for any advice you can give!

Best wishes,

Vince
Old May 30th 2005, 3:50 pm
ImHere

Default Re: Can You Please Help!

Originally Posted by Conway7
Dear All,

I have a couple more questions that I would appreciate your kind assistance with.

1. How difficult and expensive is it to obtain medical insurance, for my
wife and I, on arrival in the US, as permanent residents (green card
holders), but with no recorded medical history in the US?. We both
are middle aged, and as with most people, have had some health problems
during our lives, but we both work for a living, and need to continue to
do so, in the States, and if our future employers do not provide free
health insurance, then we will have to purchase same!

the requirements in order to be accepted as being credit worthy?

Many thanks for any advice you can give!

Best wishes,

Vince

1. Only a few companies will insure you until you have been resident for a while (6 months for some and up to 2 years for the real biggies like Human I believe) Its expensive especially once you hit middle age and any existing conditions may not be covered.

2. About the best start you can make is to get a secured credit card from your bank once you have your accounts up an running. Theres plenty of info on here on how to get credit sorted (it takes a loooong time) if you do a site search.

Old May 30th 2005, 5:09 pm
Cushtie Geezer

Conway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ImHere
1. Only a few companies will insure you until you have been resident for a while (6 months for some and up to 2 years for the real biggies like Human I believe) Its expensive especially once you hit middle age and any existing conditions may not be covered.

2. About the best start you can make is to get a secured credit card from your bank once you have your accounts up an running. Theres plenty of info on here on how to get credit sorted (it takes a loooong time) if you do a site search.
Thank you once again!

Kind Regards,

Vince
Old May 30th 2005, 5:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

regarding finance, there's a sticky thread in the root of this forum which has a few good links, and loads of threads already with loads of advice on the subject.

Medical, do a search as there's been a few on that as well, but like mentioned, it'll be expensive, even if you get medical from an employer, chances are you'll still have to contribute a hefty sum towards it.
Old May 30th 2005, 6:07 pm
Cushtie Geezer

Originally Posted by Bob
regarding finance, there's a sticky thread in the root of this forum which has a few good links, and loads of threads already with loads of advice on the subject.

Medical, do a search as there's been a few on that as well, but like mentioned, it'll be expensive, even if you get medical from an employer, chances are you'll still have to contribute a hefty sum towards it.
Thanks Bob!

Vince
Old May 30th 2005, 8:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Having just paid $40 for one supply of one medication, and being supposedly "insured", I'd say also be aware that, on top of possibly expensive insurance premiums, treatment and medication is surprisingly expensive compared to the UK, even if you are insured.

NHS has a lot going for it even compared to private/insured treatment in the US - like being able to see a doctor same day (my doc makes me wait 6 weeks for an appointment - so what am I supposed to do in the meantime?), and cheap meds. I'm just thankful I hardly ever need medical care here in the US, and then nothing serious so far. I can see how people can go bankrupt if they get really sick here.
Old May 30th 2005, 8:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Having just paid $40 for one supply of one medication, and being supposedly "insured", I'd say also be aware that, on top of possibly expensive insurance premiums, treatment and medication is surprisingly expensive compared to the UK, even if you are insured.

NHS has a lot going for it even compared to private/insured treatment in the US - like being able to see a doctor same day (my doc makes me wait 6 weeks for an appointment - so what am I supposed to do in the meantime?), and cheap meds. I'm just thankful I hardly ever need medical care here in the US, and then nothing serious so far. I can see how people can go bankrupt if they get really sick here.
Tell me about it, BIL, he's got diabetes, his round of drugs for 3 month prescription comes to $90, for 3 drugs, and there generic...if it weren't for insurance, it would be close to $900.

And doctors, yeah, the missus had to wait 10 weeks before they could see her, they told her to go to ER and play up any sickness to get seen there *lol*
Old May 31st 2005, 8:24 am
Cushtie Geezer

Originally Posted by Bob
Tell me about it, BIL, he's got diabetes, his round of drugs for 3 month prescription comes to $90, for 3 drugs, and there generic...if it weren't for insurance, it would be close to $900.

And doctors, yeah, the missus had to wait 10 weeks before they could see her, they told her to go to ER and play up any sickness to get seen there *lol*
Hi Dunrovin!

Thanks for the bad (but nevertheless much appreciated) medical news!

Just for mine and my wife's benefit, what are the good points about leaving the UK to live in the US, in your opinion?

Best wishes,

Vince
Old May 31st 2005, 8:28 am
Cushtie Geezer

Originally Posted by dunroving

Sorry Dunroving!

In error, I sent the reply that was meant for you, to Bob instead!

So thanks to you both anyway, for the valuable information.

Regards,

Vince
Old May 31st 2005, 10:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Just for mine and my wife's benefit, what are the good points about leaving the UK to live in the US, in your opinion?
It's an experience...possibly the sun if your somewhere sunny...
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:44 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Countless opportunities to bitch and moan.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:00 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Countless opportunities to bitch and moan.
Don't Brits do this anywhere they happen to live anyway?

NC Penguin
Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Don't Brits do this anywhere they happen to live anyway?

NC Penguin
Dunno -- doesn't seem to be allowed in many of the other lifestyle forums here!

Last edited by fatbrit; Jun 1st 2005 at 1:44 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:44 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Just for mine and my wife's benefit, what are the good points about leaving the UK to live in the US, in your opinion?)
You get to appreciate the good things about life in the UK!

Elvira
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

the requirements in order to be accepted as being credit worthy? .....
1. seems to have been well covered already, but by far the the easiest way to get a credit card in the US is to get a British credit card from an issuer that also issues in the US - namely, Amex, MBNA, Bank One (or at a pinch HSBC - but they are substantially a New York based bank in the US). Then once you are over here, apply for a US card from the same issuer. When you are rejected, and you will be rejected, write back and explain that you already have a British card (send them your account number) and ask them to issue you a US card on the basis of your established UK history with that card issuer.

I'm not sure if there is a minimum time that you need to ahev held the British card, but I'd go ahead and apply now unless you already have one of the above mentioned cards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.