Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can you help me understand US taxes?

Can you help me understand US taxes?

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Mikeycartmen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you help me understand US taxes?

Originally Posted by Dan725
More sun than Orlando? No clue.

Traditionally hurricanes seem not to hit Tampa too bad, but that's no real help because you just never know anywhere around the gulf of Mexico/Carribean. In 1921 it got hit by a fairly big one and is seriously overdue for another.

If you like Busch gardens, if you become a Florida resident you can buy a pass that allows you to go as much as you like for a year, which costs just a little more than a single day ticket.
Hi Dan

Yes I heard you can buy an annual pass for not much more than a single ticket fantastic! I haven't had the balls to ride Shikra yet (the one with that horrific drop!) It is twice as high as oblivian the UK version.

Mikeycartmen
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Easy enough.

We have 'em, you calculate 'em by 4/15/??? using whatever method to you can to arrive at the lowest number, you pay 'em

Now isn't that easy?
Hi Rete

Sorry, are you talking about hurricanes or Bush Garden tickets?

Mikeycartmen
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeycartmen
Hi Rete

Mikeycartmen
I think she's talking about taxes; as per your original request.....
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Forgive me, I am sure you can understand my confusion. Thanks for clarifying though.

M
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:47 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I was not aware there is organised crime in this sector, but knew of the obvious hold ups at the cash point and driving away without paying for fuel. What do you mean by organised crime, do you mean a type of black market for diesel, or do you mean drug lords or gangs holding gas station owners to ransom?
I can't pretend to talk knowledgeably about it - I am just recalling a series of articles that appeared last year in the wake of a big investigation/prosecution. It seemed mostly to do with Russian (although it could have been anyone) organized crime groups that were shuttling diesel between NY and NJ (different tax levels), and between housing (untaxed) and automotive (taxed) use. Here are some immediate links:

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/200...jan24a_07.html
http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pr/1996/Jun96/261.tax.htm
http://www.fas.org/irp///world/para/docs/rusorg4.htm (see fuel fraud)
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...es&match=exact
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_organized_crime (see July 18)

Having said that, with the exception of the Mystic case, I can't see anything to suggest that this was coercive i.e. if you didn't want to become involved, then you didn't have to.

I haven't heard anything about extortion or protection rackets, except of bars, restaurants etc in NYC, esp in particular ethnic groups.

If there are organized crime groups operating in your area, the local cops will be in bed with them! This is part of the reason why the FBI is always seen as more effective than local cops for organized crime. My impression is that organized crime and corruption is much stronger in the US than in the UK, but maybe I've just been moving in "wider" circles since I got here.

Having said all that, don't let me give you the wrong idea or scare you - I am just throwing out half-baked historic ideas about a different part of the country, and I know less than bugger all about Tampa.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I can't pretend to talk knowledgeably about it - I am just recalling a series of articles that appeared last year in the wake of a big investigation/prosecution. It seemed mostly to do with Russian (although it could have been anyone) organized crime groups that were shuttling diesel between NY and NJ (different tax levels), and between housing (untaxed) and automotive (taxed) use. Here are some immediate links:

Having said that, with the exception of the Mystic case, I can't see anything to suggest that this was coercive i.e. if you didn't want to become involved, then you didn't have to.

I haven't heard anything about extortion or protection rackets, except of bars, restaurants etc in NYC, esp in particular ethnic groups.

If there are organized crime groups operating in your area, the local cops will be in bed with them! This is part of the reason why the FBI is always seen as more effective than local cops for organized crime. My impression is that organized crime and corruption is much stronger in the US than in the UK, but maybe I've just been moving in "wider" circles since I got here.

Having said all that, don't let me give you the wrong idea or scare you - I am just throwing out half-baked historic ideas about a different part of the country, and I know less than bugger all about Tampa.
Most of the gas station in NJ were owned and run by Indian families. Suddenly they are all owned and operated by Russians.

I had to smile to myself when I read his comments about talking to the cops...seems the OP has a lot to learn about life in the US.

I would be extremely wary about a profitable gas station for sale...if it's profitable it wouldn't be up for sale.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 2nd 2007 at 9:18 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Cripes I thought it was a formula for paying the 'Mob'
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Can you help me understand US taxes?

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar

Hi Lapin

Thanks for the info and the links. I will read up on it. Did not know that local cops could be tempted to the dark side as a general rule, but appreciate the tip about rhe FBI.

M
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Most of the gas station in NJ were owned and run by Indian families. Suddenly they are all owned and operated by Russians.

I had to smile to myself when I read his comments about talking to the cops...seems the OP has a lot to learn about life in the US.

I would be extremely wary about a profitable gas station for sale...if it's profitable it wouldn't be up for sale.
Yes I laughed/ cried too.

I run a successful business in the UK but want to move over to the US to start doing shorter hours and to get others to run the business. Obviously there are risks for anybody running a business.

I already knew, having done reams of research, that there are underhanded gas station owners cooking books to make them appear to be making a profit but in reality were not. I agree wih you that the actual genuine profit making gas stations are the minority, so I must use discernment and a good accountant/ lawyer to sort the good from the bad.

I am obviously using this forum, like most Brits, wanting to go to the US, to learn as much as I can from fellow users, who are already out there. Yes I am naive when it comes to bent cops, so learnt something else in the forum thanks.

I have had 3 encounters with cops in Miami/ Orlando

(1) A bar fight (nothing to do with me) the cops cordoned off the road and got out the shotguns. Luckily I was not in the bar when they arrived
(2) Was lazered on the i4 by a guy who looked like Boss Hogg out of Dukes of Hazard. Neither my wife nor I could keep a straight face as he gave me a ticket. She wanted to ask him to pose for a photo so we could show our friends at home, but I knew if I asked for this I would probably be thrown in prison for the night.
(3) At a stop sign, which I went over at about 2 MPH. I was cautioned saying you must STOP and not give way like in the UK

They were on the whole courteous though.

Mikeycartmen
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Talking Re: Can you help me understand US taxes?

Originally Posted by Sally
Cripes I thought it was a formula for paying the 'Mob'
Like it! (you understand why I was confused)

Mikeycartmen
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete

Mikeycartmen

Unless you are kidding, of course, I meant US taxes. Why in heaven's name would you think otherwise
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:14 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone we know has moved to Oregon to run a gas station, apparently it is the only state where you cannot pump your own gas. They are doing it all themselves (couple with one child) and finding it pretty hard work. Not really that relevant.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:28 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
apparently it is the only state where you cannot pump your own gas.
There, New Jersey, and some little town on (NY) Long Island.