Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can you get a green card as a secondary school teacher (age 11-16)

Can you get a green card as a secondary school teacher (age 11-16)

Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

woltlia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you get a green card as a secondary school teacher (age 11-16)

Hi Everyone

I am in the UK. The more I read the more muddled I get, very green indeed, so I'll go back to the beginning. Can you get a green card as a secondary school teacher? What are the routes to getting a green card? Your help would be much appreciated please.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you get a green card as a secondary school teacher (age 11-16)

You cannot come over to work unless you have a visa (not to be confused with a Green Card) Please read this and come back to us when you can work out what visa (if any) you think a prospective employer would apply for for you (they do the applying not you, unless your parents are USCs or you are marrying a USC)

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and welcome to BE !
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woltlia
Hi Everyone

I am in the UK. The more I read the more muddled I get, very green indeed, so I'll go back to the beginning. Can you get a green card as a secondary school teacher? What are the routes to getting a green card? Your help would be much appreciated please.
1/ Get licensed in your target state.

2/ Get a school to sponsor you for an H1b or EB3. The H1b is a lottery that opens for one day in April for start the following October. It does not, therefore, coincide with school semesters. The H1b also requires a second step to the green card. The EB3 gives you a green card directly. The major issue is that from the school sponsoring you to you getting the visa, coming over and starting work, there's a 3 to 5 year gap.

Your chance of successfully negotiating either route are very slim to exceedingly slim, even if you are determined!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

I am teaching over here (on a spouse visa) and every school I have applied to has said "we don't sponsor visa's for overseas teachers". So I would really doubt if you could find a school to sponsor you. there isn't really a shortage of teachers here, so that add's to the problem. The only way I would see possible would be if you were 'exceptional' in some way and a private school was willing to sponsor you.

Sorry to sound gloomy.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Might get lucky teaching a science or maths in a ghetto area, well they would be more desperate, but chances are they wouldn't have the money for the visa.

Private school might be up for it?

But really, unless you've already got a visa to allow work or a greencard, your chances are slim to none.

Have a look at the Fulbright teacher exchange? http://www.fulbrightexchanges.org/

That only gets you a year though....enough time to find someone to marry

Welcome to BE though
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone

You can I have mine I was looking into coming back there and becomign a teacher its afunny world Any advice on why not!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Hi Everyone

I learnt a lot in a short time from all your posts. Thank you for your prompt response and all the valuable information you gave.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
You can I have mine I was looking into coming back there and becomign a teacher its afunny world Any advice on why not!
Maybe no reason why not. Even though this recession/credit crunch has forced a lot of people (even non-teachers like some City financial workers) into the classroom. I suspect it is the same in the US. But, they are still crying out for some teachers here eg. in science and maths. If you are flexible, start with an agency and you will be back in our classrooms in no time!!!

Why do you want to return? And, how did you go about getting your green card?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Maybe no reason why not. Even though this recession/credit crunch has forced a lot of people (even non-teachers like some City financial workers) into the classroom. I suspect it is the same in the US. But, they are still crying out for some teachers here eg. in science and maths. If you are flexible, start with an agency and you will be back in our classrooms in no time!!!

Why do you want to return? And, how did you go about getting your green card?
Not qualified as a teacher. I was thinking of utilizing one of the programs out there to come back and qualify.

I got my USC the old fashioned way like Cary Grant. My advice in addition to the other comments would be to get yourself admitted to a bona fide college/ university as a student first of all, should be easy as you are a teacher - consider a Masters or PHD. I have seen this done by many people.

Once admitted, and on the ground so to speak, you apply for a short temporary work visa - usually valid only for employment within the college itself ( the theory being you need the visa to help support yourself and pay college tuition - quid pro quo). Subsequently you apply for additions and extensions to the visa while you continue to study. Thus even if you do not succeed in getting a permanent work visa at least you will have a qualification.

I have seen several others, including one lawyer from other countries access the USA via this very route.

Other than that get married - but that would seem to be the hard way to do it!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

I very much doubt that you would be able to get an H1B to work as a teacher here. One other option to consider is to become a visiting exchange teacher. I know of one agency which does this: http://www.vifprogram.com/

The VIF program or visiting international faculty program sponsors teachers for a J1 visa, good for up to 3 years i believe. The biggest problem for non US trained teachers is getting your qualifications accepted in the US, and then obtaining a license to teach in the state you live in. In Wisconsin they will only license people who have complete an education or reaching degree in the USA. Other states are a bit more flexible. You have to do your homework and read every page of the state dept of education website of the state you want to move to.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
I very much doubt that you would be able to get an H1B to work as a teacher here. One other option to consider is to become a visiting exchange teacher. I know of one agency which does this: http://www.vifprogram.com/

The VIF program or visiting international faculty program sponsors teachers for a J1 visa, good for up to 3 years i believe. The biggest problem for non US trained teachers is getting your qualifications accepted in the US, and then obtaining a license to teach in the state you live in. In Wisconsin they will only license people who have complete an education or reaching degree in the USA. Other states are a bit more flexible. You have to do your homework and read every page of the state dept of education website of the state you want to move to.
Good advice - but always check because each State is specific - many do accept as they call them foreign credentials. It usually depends on how provincial they are.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
Good advice - but always check because each State is specific - many do accept as they call them foreign credentials. It usually depends on how provincial they are.

I know with my state Texas (and a few others I have heard about) they will give you a provisional licence to teach based on your UK quals, but you have to meet requirements within a certain time frame. My requirements were I had to pass two exams (basically the finals that people training to be a teacher take)
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

An agency won't help you get a visa though.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
An agency won't help you get a visa though.
Q - why would I need a Visa if I am "coming back there." Or is there some legislation applicable to returning UK citizens I am unaware of?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.