Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can you bring whiskey on the plane to Russia?

Can you bring whiskey on the plane to Russia?

Old Sep 6th 2002, 12:07 am
Ready

Default Can you bring whiskey on the plane to Russia?

Is there some way for me to bring some whiskey to Russia? I know it's off subject but
I thought many people here did a lot of traveling

Old Sep 6th 2002, 12:25 am
Morlin@Home

Default Re: Can you bring whiskey on the plane to Russia?

As a carry-on, doubt it. It's flammable and you might make a Molotov Cocktail with
it. Stashed in your check-in luggage? Sure, just declare it and pay the duty when you
get to SVO.

"Ready" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:9lSd9.371579$UU1.60754@sccrnsc03...
    > Is there some way for me to bring some whiskey to Russia? I know it's off subject
    > but I thought many people here did a lot of traveling

Old Sep 6th 2002, 12:45 am
Wolf2743mi

I bring Tequila during my trips there. I put them in checked baggage. You can bring
up to 5 bottles(litres) without have to pay Russian customs duties. I might mention
that whisky is widely available there and at a better price then in America.

Hope this helps Mike

Old Sep 6th 2002, 12:54 am
Rob

Yes

"Ready" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:9lSd9.371579$UU1.60754@sccrnsc03...
    > Is there some way for me to bring some whiskey to Russia? I know it's off subject
    > but I thought many people here did a lot of traveling

Old Sep 6th 2002, 1:38 am
Ready

They told me they have many kinds of liquor there but they are bad. (I have no clue I
don't drink much) I just want to be nice to them they helped my wife for some time.
Any suggestions on what is unique here and what I should bring if not something like
Jack Daniels? If I put it in checked luggage....don't you worry about the people
throwing the bags around? Any packing suggestions?

Old Sep 6th 2002, 1:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, buy it at duty free before you board the plane. They then deliver it to you at the boarding area. I've done this in my travels to Canada and Germany without a problem.

Rete
Old Sep 6th 2002, 4:48 am
Wolf2743mi

Gifts of alcohol are always exceptable in Russia. Jack Daniels is probably the most
widely represented of all American whiskies sold there. It is actually cheaper there
then in the USA. I have always had good luck giving gifts of Tequila or Mezcal. These
are not widely available there. Russians, at least the ones I know, think the taste
of Tequila is rather harsh. They are used to vodka and Russian vodka is very smooth.
I have never had bad vodka there. Try to introduce them to "cocktails". Packages of
fruit drink are for sale everywhere there. Mix in some orange juice and give them a
"tequila sunrise". The ladies especially, seem to enjoy this. As my wife says, "eet
ees eexoteek". Russian men seem to like to drink straight. This is how they drink
vodka. Of course, they are always eating when they drink. This is a Russian custom.
Be prepared to drink some vodka as it is a custom to do so. Also you will be eating a
lot of food with it. Watch out for the jet-lag period. Usually about four days or so.
You may not remember the end of the evening. If you are not used to drinking very
much I would suggest a "story", such as, " I am on medication and cannot drink very
much". They will understand that. I just usually roll up bottles in clothes or other
soft things. I have never lost a bottle yet. Good luck and enjoy yourself...You will
have a great time.

Mike

Old Sep 6th 2002, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rete:
Hell, buy it at duty free before you board the plane. They then deliver it to you at the boarding area. I've done this in my travels to Canada and Germany without a problem.

Rete

This takes me back about 30 years when I first went to Prague (just after the fall of Dubceck)
I went on a soccer trip, took a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label, gave it to our host soccer team (all of us Uk's did the same) and never paid for a drink the whole time (5 days)
we were there.
I also had an offer of 50 pounds for a denim jacket that I took (and that was in 1972)
My how times have changed
Old Sep 6th 2002, 5:09 am
Michael Voight

wolf2743mi wrote:
    > I bring Tequila during my trips there. I put them in checked baggage. You can bring
    > up to 5 bottles(litres) without have to pay Russian customs duties.

What about US Customs? Isn't the duty free limit only about 1 liter?

Old Sep 6th 2002, 5:15 am
Wolf2743mi

Yes it is...but I have brought back as many as four bottles of vodka with no problems
and no duties. You just have to be honest about it and declare it on customs
declaration forms. If customs nails you, well, you will have to pay the duty. They
just tell me at JFK to, " get outa here". I think they are happy that you are being
honest with them. ( and at Chicago also)

Mike

Old Sep 6th 2002, 3:33 pm
Mrtravel

rogerpenycate wrote:
    > This takes me back about 30 years when I first went to Prague (just after the fall
    > of Dubceck) I went on a soccer trip, took a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label,
    > gave it to our host soccer team (all of us Uk's did the same) and never paid for a
    > drink the whole time (5 days) we were there. I also had an offer of 50 pounds for a
    > denim jacket that I took (and that was in 1972) My how times have changed

Not that much in some places.. My wife bought a jacket in Brussels or Amsterdam when
we were on vacation. She wore it a few times, then sold it to a friend in Novosibirsk
(Siberia) for the same price she bought it for simply because you can't find that
kind of clothing in Novosibirsk.

Old Sep 6th 2002, 6:58 pm
Mdudall

>I also had an offer of 50 pounds for a denim jacket that I took (and that was in
    >1972) My how times have changed

Reminds me of a trip I took with my family to Yugoslavia years ago. I was in junior
high, I think (would have been early 70's). I took a Levi fleece-lined jacket with me
on the trip. We were on a tour bus that made a stop at a small town were there was a
festival going on. When we got back on the bus, my jacket was gone (and they passed
up taking many other items).

I also recall a trip to Israel that I took, again with the family, when I was in high
school. I hung out in Jerusalem with a couple of guys I met from Ethiopia who were
traveling around the world, and one of them "really, really" wanted my pair of Varnet
sunglasses. I let him use them while we were checking out old town Jerusalem, and
since I could get another pair when I returned home, I let him keep them.

M.U.

Old Sep 6th 2002, 7:04 pm
Mdudall

>What about US Customs? Isn't the duty free limit only about 1 liter?

I just came back from a 3 day cruise to Ensanada (from L.A.) last weekend, and yes,
the official rule is 1 liter of alcohol; however when I asked an employee of the
cruise line about this, he said that they are very lax about that and will let you
bring in more as long as they believe that you are bringing it back for your own
personal consumption instead of for "resale".

I went on a Tequila hunt while in Ensanada, and brought back 2 bottles of hard to
find Tequila and one big bottle of Kaluha (sp?). The morning that I disembarked the
ship, I first reported to the ship's library where the custom officers were
stationed. I told them I had 3 bottles and I was there to pay duty on two of them.
They just smiled, said thanks for letting them know, but that it was OK and I did not
have to pay them anything.

M.U.

Old Sep 6th 2002, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

mdmd101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mdudall:
    >I also had an offer of 50 pounds for a denim jacket that I took (and that was in
    >1972) My how times have changed

Reminds me of a trip I took with my family to Yugoslavia years ago. I was in junior
high, I think (would have been early 70's). I took a Levi fleece-lined jacket with me
on the trip. We were on a tour bus that made a stop at a small town were there was a
festival going on. When we got back on the bus, my jacket was gone (and they passed
up taking many other items).

I also recall a trip to Israel that I took, again with the family, when I was in high
school. I hung out in Jerusalem with a couple of guys I met from Ethiopia who were
traveling around the world, and one of them "really, really" wanted my pair of Varnet
sunglasses. I let him use them while we were checking out old town Jerusalem, and
since I could get another pair when I returned home, I let him keep them.

M.U.
You can take whiskey on any plane to any country (except most countries in middle-east); however, if you're a foreigner, you can bring alcohol to middle east as well.

The only thing about alcohol I noticed recently is that the stewardessed became stingy in serving alcohol after 9/11. Now, I carry my own stock of the little bottles on the plane. Even in business class they avoided serving me more than one little bottle at a time.There could be serveral reason for this, main being unruly behaviour duty to intoxication. I'm talking about American airlines.

Flying with Singapore airlines is still a one big party.
Old Sep 6th 2002, 7:37 pm
Paul

[email protected] (wolf2743mi) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Gifts of alcohol are always exceptable in Russia. Jack Daniels is probably the most
    > widely represented of all American whiskies sold there. It is actually cheaper
    > there then in the USA. I have always had good luck giving gifts of Tequila or
    > Mezcal. These are not widely available there. Russians, at least the ones I know,
    > think the taste of Tequila is rather harsh. They are used to vodka and Russian
    > vodka is very smooth. I have never had bad vodka there. Try to introduce them to
    > "cocktails". Packages of fruit drink are for sale everywhere there. Mix in some
    > orange juice and give them a "tequila sunrise". The ladies especially, seem to
    > enjoy this. As my wife says, "eet ees eexoteek". Russian men seem to like to drink
    > straight. This is how they drink vodka. Of course, they are always eating when they
    > drink. This is a Russian custom. Be prepared to drink some vodka as it is a custom
    > to do so. Also you will be eating a lot of food with it. Watch out for the jet-lag
    > period. Usually about four days or so. You may not remember the end of the evening.
    > If you are not used to drinking very much I would suggest a "story", such as, " I
    > am on medication and cannot drink very much". They will understand that. I just
    > usually roll up bottles in clothes or other soft things. I have never lost a bottle
    > yet. Good luck and enjoy yourself...You will have a great time.
    > Mike

Something I just saw on a Russian web site: An optimist looks at a glass of vodka and
sees 40% alcohol, while a pessimist sees 60% water.