Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can US citizen husband stop me taking our son back to England?

Can US citizen husband stop me taking our son back to England?

Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can US citizen husband stop me taking our son back to England?

Originally Posted by clarissageo
So does the same rule apply when the non resident parent wants to up and leave the country, thereby leaving the child? Can the parent with care then take steps to stop the NRP immigrating?

Nope, they can't.
I'm imagining that's a different issue altogether. This is simply a parent wishing to deny access to the other.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Indeed, and I wasn't having a go at you - sorry if you thought I was.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The OP was about to make a terrible mistake and, hopefully, as a result of enquiring here things might go better for her.

Fingers crossed.
No worries. If I had thought that there would be a lot more curse words, angry smilies and emasculating references made.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Did you read the OP post, he shit on her/them first.
Then take it to court and get the legal permission to remove the child from the US. If he is being a bastard it will be easy enough to do.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
OK, fair point and I'll bow to your view as I have little experience in that area. It may well be difficult. But, I suggest, not as difficult as ending up on the shit list of a federal LEA would be.
Ah, chartreuse, what most here know but you and OP don't, is that I have co-custody of my American children with my American ex. I'd love to be able to move (maybe even out of state? ) but can't. Having said that, I am glad he's a part of their lives, even though he's not been great to me.

So I *always* caution against removing children from their *legal jurisdiction* without permission. The child's age and the six-month UCCJA residency requirement make me wonder where this child's residency is - possibly California? (state of birth).

I also grit my teeth when I hear stories of husbands and MILs taunting wives that they are trapped. Divorced women often NEED to be able to have their own family support them financially and emotionally during and after divorce. Forcing a woman into staying in a jurisdiction where she has no support is a horrible solution. If the father really wants this, then he'd better be prepared to pay, especially if he's played.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Then take it to court and get the legal permission to remove the child from the US. If he is being a bastard it will be easy enough to do.
No, the problem is it won't. BTDT.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No, the problem is it won't. BTDT.
Granted I haven't read the six pages and maybe I should.

Regardless, kidnapping the child cannot be a right option for anyone, as meauxna pointed out.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:48 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It seems unlikely given that support is usually set based on ability to pay, i.e. typically the payer's income.
So, it seems that for every concrete factor we knock out, we introduce an intangible.

Your point - are men more likely to sue is still in play, but we've added "are women more likely to think they'll get away with it despite the evidence" and, I think more significantly, in what way does the nature of the typical case where an award is made against a woman differ from the typical case where an award is made against a man.

I'm baffled
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:50 pm
Lapine Member

Regardless, kidnapping the child cannot be a right option for anyone, as meauxna pointed out.
No, leaving the jurisdiction is NOT wise. Establishing the right jurisdiction IS wise - California vs Virginia. Having a legal consult IS wise. Filing first IS wise.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66
No worries. If I had thought that there would be a lot more curse words, angry smilies and emasculating references made.
NO!!!! Please - not my testes!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:55 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm imagining that's a different issue altogether. This is simply a parent wishing to deny access to the other.
I don't recall her saying she wanted to deny access, but that she wanted to be where she had a support network of family and friends.

NRP's can do whatever they want, move wherever they want, and no-one can do a damn thing about it - PWC don't have that honour.

My ex tried to stop me moving to the US with my kids - yet he was talking about moving to Australia......... he wasn't so bothered about seeing the kids every other weekend when it was him making the move.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:58 pm

Ah, chartreuse, what most here know but you and OP don't, is that I have co-custody of my American children with my American ex. I'd love to be able to move (maybe even out of state? ) but can't. Having said that, I am glad he's a part of their lives, even though he's not been great to me.

So I *always* caution against removing children from their *legal jurisdiction* without permission. The child's age and the six-month UCCJA residency requirement make me wonder where this child's residency is - possibly California? (state of birth).
Nope, I didn't know that. Sorry that you've had to endure it, but it's led to you being able to identify a point about legal jurisdiction which all of the rest of us missed.

I'm aware that that's cold comfort, but I hope you know what I'm getting at...

I also grit my teeth when I hear stories of husbands and MILs taunting wives that they are trapped. Divorced women often NEED to be able to have their own family support them financially and emotionally during and after divorce. Forcing a woman into staying in a jurisdiction where she has no support is a horrible solution. If the father really wants this, then he'd better be prepared to pay, especially if he's played.
Yes. When I first met SWMBO I wasn't allowed to know where she worked. You can guess the nature of the job. Abuse takes many forms, and an elderly lady can be just as much of an abuser as a burly man.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

No, leaving the jurisdiction is NOT wise. Establishing the right jurisdiction IS wise - California vs Virginia.
If she waits two months before filing the answer will be clear. And she'll be able to file in the state where she's living, a big advantage.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:40 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If she waits two months before filing the answer will be clear. And she'll be able to file in the state where she's living, a big advantage.
I'm not sure about that. Her California jurisdiction might be more favourable to her return. That's the stated reason the UCCJA was enacted: to prevent parents from jurisdiction-shopping based upon desired outcome. In the case where jurisdiction is not defined (a baby with less than six months in any jurisdiction and removed from state of birth) why NOT look into the most favourable venue? That's precisely what any lawyer will do.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about that. Her California jurisdiction might be more favourable to her return. That's the stated reason the UCCJA was enacted: to prevent parents from jurisdiction-shopping based upon desired outcome. In the case where jurisdiction is not defined (a baby with less than six months in any jurisdiction and removed from state of birth) why NOT look into the most favourable venue? That's precisely what any lawyer will do.
Why would CA be more favourable? From a logistical point of view, at the least, a cross country jurisdiction would be both expensive and contorted.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

I've followed this thread with great interest. The views given have been varied and quite emotionally driven.

I have had 2 friends who have been in the same boat as the original poster and had quite different experiences. One left her husband a "dear John" letter, took her daughter home to Denmark, threatened him with bodily harm should he follow or even attempt to see his child - and never had any problem with him (this was during the unenlightened 70s.).
Another left her husband (also in the military) but he fought her tooth and nail for the 2 kids. It was hard on her since she had no friends, no job and no support in the US. She ended up having a nervous breakdown, giving up custody to him and going back home.

It seems to me that what happens to the kids should the relationship break down is an issue that should be discussed before the kids come along. I know divorce is never easy where kids are concerned but parents who hail from 2 different countries have a potentially unique set of problems if the partnership fails ( the nightmare chronicled in "NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER" comes to mind).

Get as much support as you can both here and at home. Look for a women's group or a separated/divorced parents group. GET A GOOD LAWYER!! Preferably one who is familiar with this kind of situation.

Best wishes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.