Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can they do this?

Can they do this?

Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:44 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can they do this?

Stupid question really because I'm pretty sure in this country of zero worker's right, they probably can.

Anyway, Mrs G1ant's employer has been taked over by Un**ed Health**re and one of the gems that they have come up with is that anyone who is late clocking in for work by even one minute will be issued with a "tardy" mark. Yup, just like in school. And four tardies within one twelve month period and you are fired. Just like that. Fired and out the door.

At the moment Austin is going through a HUGE highway construction program on and around I-35 resulting in all sorts of unforseen traffic delays. Couple that with delays from early morning fog and car wrecks caused by sh1t Texan driving and I reckon that most employees will pick up their four black marks within the first six months and there won't be anyone left there in 12 months.

Time for her to look for a new job I suppose.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can they do this?

Yes they can. And will.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by g1ant
Stupid question really because I'm pretty sure in this country of zero worker's right, they probably can.

Anyway, Mrs G1ant's employer has been taked over by Un**ed Health**re and one of the gems that they have come up with is that anyone who is late clocking in for work by even one minute will be issued with a "tardy" mark. Yup, just like in school. And four tardies within one twelve month period and you are fired. Just like that. Fired and out the door.

At the moment Austin is going through a HUGE highway construction program on and around I-35 resulting in all sorts of unforseen traffic delays. Couple that with delays from early morning fog and car wrecks caused by sh1t Texan driving and I reckon that most employees will pick up their four black marks within the first six months and there won't be anyone left there in 12 months.

Absolutely RIDICULOUS. Words fail me. Who owns that company now? The original owners live in my part of the woods.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:32 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

They can do what they like. In the USA unless you have a detailed signed contract, you are hired by way of what's called "At will employment".

You are hired at will, and can be fired at will, with or without reason. In the same aspect, you can also leave the company with or without reason.

There is nothing you can do about it I am afraid, I spoke to a lawyer about this a couple of years ago. I had actually handed in my 2 weeks notice as per my company employees handbook, which then entitled me to all of my accrued holiday pay when I left the company. Have a guess what the company did.

Fired me and kept all my holiday pay..... their reason for keeping my holiday pay......... I didn't work my 2 weeks notice........ Bastards.

CALL THE DEPT OF LABOUR.....quietly.

http://www.dol.gov

Last edited by Rodney you plonker; Oct 5th 2006 at 6:53 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:36 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Get her off to community college to get retrained as a plumber or Electrician. Go Self employed and the world is your Lobster Del.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
They can do what they like. In the USA unless you have a detailed signed contract, you are hired by way of what's called "At will employment".

You are hired at will, and can be fired at will, with or without reason. In the same aspect, you can also leave the company with or without reason.

There is nothing you can do about it I am afraid, I spoke to a lawyer about this a couple of years ago. I had actually handed in my 2 weeks notice as per my company employees handbook, which then entitled me to all of my accrued holiday pay when I left the company. Have a guess what the company did.

Fired me and kept all my holiday pay..... their reason for keeping my holiday pay......... I didn't work my 2 weeks notice........ Bastards.

Thats right - Texas is an at will employer state so they can fire her without the tardy slips or any reason what so ever, and they have requirement to honour PTO built up etc - pretty much sucks!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:05 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

How many times per year can she 'forget' to clock in?

Oldest trick in the book.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:19 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
How many times per year can she 'forget' to clock in?

Oldest trick in the book.
They have the "office snout" who will pretty quick bust you on that one.

It gets better. Now they are being required to sign a contract that says they are "contingent" workers with United and not full time contracted workers as they were with their old employers.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker

If you have the option (if not fired, you just want to move on), What you have to do is run down your holiday to zero first. On the day of your paycheck, you just leave and never come back. When I get out of the job I'm in at the minute, there's no way I'm giving 2 weeks notice. I've seen how they treat people who they "let go" - it'll be nice to bring it right back at them. Hopefully it'll be right in the middle of an important project.

It's funny, when I was in the UK, I thought the trade unions were too big for their boots. Here, I'm such a pinko leftie its untrue.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

They have the "office snout" who will pretty quick bust you on that one.

It gets better. Now they are being required to sign a contract that says they are "contingent" workers with United and not full time contracted workers as they were with their old employers.
It's apparent that this is a downsizing attempt. In true American employer fashion, rather than be completely honest and upfront, they make up all this crap, take away workers rights, and then blame the employee. Time for Mrs G to look for a new job I fear - then stick it to them by just not showing up one morning, never to return.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

It's funny, when I was in the UK, I thought the trade unions were too big for their boots. Here, I'm such a pinko leftie its untrue.
Isn't that the truth?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I worked at a place that did something similar. If you clocked in more than 15 minutes early or 2 minutes late you got a tardy. If you clocked out more than 2 minutes early you got a tardy, but only as long as you worked at least 50% of your shift. Anything outside those you got an absence. That also was the case for lunch breaks. You got 12 tardies and 4 absences every 6 months.

It was very childish but it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to work that policy to your advantage if you are working a sales job where you have to make a certain amount of sales every hour you work. Oh, they also made you bring in an obituary if you took time off for a funeral and a doctors note if you were off sick for any amount of time.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Workers rights suck here

When Kate gave birth to Sadie she had complications and was off a month or so extra. The week before she was due to start back she got a letter saying she had too long maternity leave and her contract had been terminated ! ... That same day her boss phoned to ask when she was starting back ?
"Never" she told her, "I just got a letter saying I am fired"
"Thats just a formalty, we issue them if you are off too long, we need you to come back"
"Will all my service be re-enstated ?" asked Kate.
"No, .... You will start as a new employee"
"Then F**k Off"

Last edited by Patrick Hasler; Oct 5th 2006 at 8:55 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Workers right suck here

When Kate gave birth to Sadie she had complications and was off a month or so extra. The week before she was due to start back she got a letter saying she had too long maternity leave and her contract had been terminated ! ... That same day her boss phoned to ask when she was starting back ?
"Never" she told her, "I just got a letter saying I am fired"
"Thats just a formalty, we issue them if you are off too long, we need you to come back"
"Will all my service be re-enstated ?" asked Kate.
"No, .... You will start as a new employee"
"Then F**k Off"
omg the bl**dy cheek of them
Old Oct 5th 2006, 8:56 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

what's the rational?!? "Contingent" trying to imply you are a sub-contractor and they are not obligated to provide anything? If that is the case then the irony is that a health care provider is trying not provide health care to their employees.

I am so glad that I am not in the corporate environment anymore so I don't have to deal with petty stunts of companies like that.... do you have a hall pass?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.