Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can My Spouse Go Through The US Immigration Line With Me?

Can My Spouse Go Through The US Immigration Line With Me?

Old Dec 20th 2013, 10:41 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can My Spouse Go Through The US Immigration Line With Me?

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
There is no declarations form for a British Citizen to enter the UK. I've _never_ filled one out. If I have something to declare I would enter the 'something to declare' line.
Yep. Never done this either.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

From the 'reality' airport shows I've seen, Customs officers are watching more or less from the moment you get off the plane with two-way mirrors and cameras. They know who they're going to stop and search long before you go through the green line.

It's rare you'll be stopped because you have an extra carton of cigs or bottle of booze unless, that is, you look suspicious at any time before you go through the customs hall!
Old Dec 20th 2013, 12:30 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
From the 'reality' airport shows I've seen, Customs officers are watching more or less from the moment you get off the plane with two-way mirrors and cameras. They know who they're going to stop and search long before you go through the green line.

It's rare you'll be stopped because you have an extra carton of cigs or bottle of booze unless, that is, you look suspicious at any time before you go through the customs hall!
Last time I walked through (Heathrow), the customs hall was all taped up and wrapped in bubblewrap.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I've mentioned this story before -- but one time through LHR, it was our then 21-year old daughter who got the third degree. She was in university, but the fall term for UC starts three weeks after what is normal for the rest of the US, so there was a fair amount of questioning about her schooling. The inquiry then shifted as to why we were going to a private address in Cornwall. She truthfully answers "visit my uncle." "How is he your uncle?" Pointing to her mother "Her brother." I see Immigration Officer looking at wife's US passport showing US birth. I finally say something, the most effective four words of advocacy I have ever spoken: 1. He 2. Is 3. Naturalized 4. British. Stamp, stamp, stamp "Have a nice visit." I then had to explain to my two ladies what had happened and why. Their mood shifted from annoyance to amusement.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:06 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Me British passport, Wife & Kids US Passport. LHR, told they can come with me through EU line, Manchester (MAN), Border guy kicked them all back! Depends on airport.....
Old Dec 31st 2013, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voltore
Me British passport, Wife & Kids US Passport. LHR, told they can come with me through EU line, Manchester (MAN), Border guy kicked them all back! Depends on airport.....
We had a similar experience at MAN airport. Entered on Christmas Day, hubby, daughter, daughter's then fiancé (Canadian) and me. The IO told daughter's finance to go through the non EU line...Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

It actually starts well before that. I do some work for Customs at Heathrow and other airports and they have dogs sniffing your hold bags when they come off the plane and before they even reach the baggage hall! From some of the work I do, it's amazing how much they catch, usually drugs, by doing that! You're right though, as long as they haven't picked you out then, as long as you're not acting suspiciously you're okay. It's never happened to me, but I usually need to use the loo when I get off the plane, and there are some between disembarking at Hrow and getting to passport control, and I often wonder if they mark out people who disappear like that, in case they are doing something or hiding something they shouldn't be!
Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
It actually starts well before that. I do some work for Customs at Heathrow and other airports and they have dogs sniffing your hold bags when they come off the plane and before they even reach the baggage hall! From some of the work I do, it's amazing how much they catch, usually drugs, by doing that! You're right though, as long as they haven't picked you out then, as long as you're not acting suspiciously you're okay. It's never happened to me, but I usually need to use the loo when I get off the plane, and there are some between disembarking at Hrow and getting to passport control, and I often wonder if they mark out people who disappear like that, in case they are doing something or hiding something they shouldn't be!
I have only had my bags searched once. My husband had been working in Amsterdam for a year...I used to fly from Manchester almost every Friday afternoon and return first thing Monday morning. As I don't seem to have the ability to travel light...I always had a large, heavy suitcase. When the customs officer opened my case he said...'You take all this for a weekend away'. 'You sound just like my husband' I replied. He smiled...put everything back in the case and off I went.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:38 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
It's never happened to me, but I usually need to use the loo when I get off the plane, and there are some between disembarking at Hrow and getting to passport control, and I often wonder if they mark out people who disappear like that, in case they are doing something or hiding something they shouldn't be!
Me, too, every time I get off a plane, and many times in that part of Heathrow, and I've never been stopped.