Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to buy property in Alaska

Wanting to buy property in Alaska

Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

jedsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to buy property in Alaska

hello, im British living in the UK interested in buying some real estate in Alaska can anyone help me? pls
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to buy property in Alaska

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your post into a thread of its own in the US forums. My question to you is...why Alaska?
Old Dec 28th 2013, 4:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I always assumed Alaska was very expensive, but I just looked on realtor.com and it looks like 2 bed, 2 bath condos in Anchorage are $120,000 and up. I've heard groceries are expensive, I don't know about electricity and gas ...
Old Dec 28th 2013, 5:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
I always assumed Alaska was very expensive, but I just looked on realtor.com and it looks like 2 bed, 2 bath condos in Anchorage are $120,000 and up. I've heard groceries are expensive, I don't know about electricity and gas ...
I was watching a program on Alaska on TV and it said that in Anchorage for an average house the heating bill on the coldest month of winter was $900. That I guess means that between the cost of electricity plus the amount you need to consume it ain't going to be a cheap place to live, seeing as it's cold most months of the year.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 5:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jedsta View Post
hello, im British living in the UK interested in buying some real estate in Alaska can anyone help me? pls
It would help to know the reason you want to buy there. Is it an investment, to live in, or to vacation. If to live how do you qualify for a visa to live in the US? That information may enable people to give some sensible answers, plus some details as to what help you need.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with the real estate itself, but don't forget to buy that sea-plane if the lot is anywhere outside of Anchorage !
Old Dec 28th 2013, 5:58 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Do Alaska folk still qualify for the oil royalties (?) or whatever the payments were? And is that for residents only, or is it a property based payment......?
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:04 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

After recently watching a lot of the Alaska based shows on TV (especially the one about the Alaskan State Troopers) it would be one of the last places I would move to

Who was dissing Houston???
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
After recently watching a lot of the Alaska based shows on TV (especially the one about the Alaskan State Troopers) it would be one of the last places I would move to

Who was dissing Houston???
Did you see Railroad Alaska and the people who live "off grid". One lady said she worried about her husband going to the outhouse in -20 temperatures, in case he fell on the way and couldn't get up. She was 76 and he was in his 80s.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:13 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Did you see Railroad Alaska and the people who live "off grid". One lady said she worried about her husband going to the outhouse in -20 temperatures, in case he fell on the way and couldn't get up. She was 76 and he was in his 80s.
I can't see how they keep their houses warm enough to live in. None of them are well built brick homes are they

I guess there are some tough living folks out there.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:19 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

One of our neighbors lived in Alaska for 12 or 13 years......reckons it was wonderful for 3 months and hell for 9.....wild horses wouldn't drag her back! Must admit, it's high on my bucket list to visit, but don't think I'd be cut out for living there....
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
I can't see how they keep their houses warm enough to live in. None of them are well built brick homes are they

I guess there are some tough living folks out there.
Actually a wood house with ceilings and walls spaces where you can put in insulation with high R values will significantly outperform anything made of brick or stone.

I lived in northern Minnesota where winter temperatures could drop below -40 F and the houses were very warm and winter utility bill weren't much higher than northern California. However most the houses had double pain windows, very good insulation, and were built better than California houses. Also people shovel snow up against the houses to keep them warm.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
However most the houses had double pain windows,
I'm guessing those ones are especially bad
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

jedsta is an unknown quantity at this point

investment and holiday home been looking at Alaska for about 5 years ..what criteria do i need to meet to buy a package of land ?
Old Dec 28th 2013, 8:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by jedsta View Post
investment and holiday home been looking at Alaska for about 5 years ..what criteria do i need to meet to buy a package of land ?
Buy for cash? And you mean a lot on which you'll then build?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.