Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can LPRs testify?

Can LPRs testify?

Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

onetimeonly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can LPRs testify?

Hello, I work in a store and saw a theif steal quite a few expensive items. Our owner called the cops and as I had witnessed it in person and got the guys car plates I had to show the cop my driver's license and say that I recognized the guy from the video footage. Anyway, just thinking ahead, can LPRs testify in court if that happens (is that what happens?). I don't really know what the process is, it was actually the first time I've spoken to police the entire time I've lived here, and it's been over a decade at this point. I know we can't do jury duty so I'd prefer to just stay away from this kind of thing altogether.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:53 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can LPRs testify?

Originally Posted by onetimeonly
Hello, I work in a store and saw a theif steal quite a few expensive items. Our owner called the cops and as I had witnessed it in person and got the guys car plates I had to show the cop my driver's license and say that I recognized the guy from the video footage. Anyway, just thinking ahead, can LPRs testify in court if that happens (is that what happens?). I don't really know what the process is, it was actually the first time I've spoken to police the entire time I've lived here, and it's been over a decade at this point. I know we can't do jury duty so I'd prefer to just stay away from this kind of thing altogether.
Welcome to BE.

Of course LPRs can testify, visitors can also testify, you do not need to be a citizen or GC holder.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, just thinking ahead, can LPRs testify in court if that happens (is that what happens?).
Yes. Anyone can be called to testify.

Ian
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone can testify, but only a citizen can serve on a jury.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago, a friend of mine was I New York when he was mugged. Well, it was an attempted mugging. Two guys tried to rob him and it resulted in him wrestling with one of them and managing to detain him until the police arrived. He identified the other guy, who was arrested a short time later.

He was obviously called to testify when the case came to trial and NYPD paid for his flight and expenses to return to NY when he was needed.

Confirmation that there are no legal prerequisites to testifying!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Michele11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Testify Yes, Jury duty No.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

All of the above, plus illegal immigrants can testify, though many might be reluctant to do so.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
All of the above, plus illegal immigrants can testify, though many might be reluctant to do so.
One reason for "sanctuary city" policies.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
One reason for "sanctuary city" policies.
Hadn't thought of that

Excellent point!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:56 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

When I first arrived in 2004 and was awaiting AOS from K1 to LPR, I volunteered as a witness in a mock trial at the local law school. Or I might have been the defendant. Can't recall the details
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:10 pm
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you can and if called to do so you probably should because you don't want to risk being accused of obstruction of justice or similar offence by refusing to do so which if convicted would probably lead to being deported.

My son lived in nyc for a year ten years ago one of his friends an english girl got attacked by a group of brit girls some of whom came from the same town in England. She was legal but she refused to speak to the police and left the country fearing for her safety in new york and he has never been able to get back into america since. Two of the girls that did it were illegal and didn't get deported. How ironic they forced her out and they weren't legal. You don't want to risk being kicked out over something stupid like that so do what you have to do.

Last edited by albanks2542; Jul 4th 2017 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, just thinking ahead, can LPRs testify in court if that happens (is that what happens?).
No, of course they can't. Nor can blacks, Chinese or the Irish. Oh, and the illegals either; they're all banned from helping the police with their enquiries.

Honestly....what a stupid question.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:24 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albanks2542
Yes you can and if called to do so you probably should because you don't want to risk being accused of obstruction of justice or similar offence by refusing to do so which if convicted would probably lead to being deported.
Refusal to testify voluntarily is NOT remotely grounds for an obstruction charge.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:58 pm
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Refusal to testify voluntarily is NOT remotely grounds for an obstruction charge.
Wouldn't that depend upon the state the person lives in? And refusing to testify if compelled to do so is isn't it? As is providing a false statement to the police. It could be a slippery slope.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by albanks2542
Wouldn't that depend upon the state the person lives in?
Of course, but State law has to sit within the bounds of the Constitution (despite aggressive attempts by mainly Southern states to avoid this), so whilst each State has different benchmarks, it's a monumental jump to go from refusing to voluntarily testify to being charged with obstruction.

And refusing to testify if compelled to do so is isn't it?
No. That's contempt.

As is providing a false statement to the police. It could be a slippery slope.
It's really not. No one is suggesting a false statement is being made. You're just clutching to make an argument for potential obstruction when none exists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.