Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can i use my UK passport, even though i am now a US Citizen?

Can i use my UK passport, even though i am now a US Citizen?

Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

parker66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can i use my UK passport, even though i am now a US Citizen?

I recently became a US Citizen and my passport is still "in process", there has been a death in the family and i need to go home... what kind of trouble am i looking at?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can i use my UK passport, even though i am now a US Citizen?

Originally Posted by parker66
I recently became a US Citizen and my passport is still "in process", there has been a death in the family and i need to go home... what kind of trouble am i looking at?
None .. to enter the UK you use your UK passport

to enter the US ..you use your US passport
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Coming back is the issue, my US passport is still being processed and expiditing still won't get it too me on time. Do you think coming back to the US on a tourist visa would work? or should i bring my citizenship paperwork along with me?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:18 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Coming back is the issue, my US passport is still being processed and expiditing still won't get it too me on time. Do you think coming back to the US on a tourist visa would work? or should i bring my citizenship paperwork along with me?
don't go until you have a US Passport.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

my mother just died.. i need to go in a couple of days.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
don't go until you have a US Passport.
Absolutely ..it should not take that long .. or if you have to go ..
dont come back until your US passport has been couriered over to you ..
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

my mother just died..
sorry mate.

do what Ray said then......
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

i will only have a few days there before i have to come back, they said that because it is a first time application i'm looking at a couple of week for the passport. So you think coming in and out on the UK will cause some issues.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

spiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Manc
sorry mate.

do what Ray said then......
sorry for your loss.

call the US passport people. they MUST have some sort of expeditie process for these circumstances.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

According to the law, you need to have US Passport in hand to leave and to enter the United States. Outside of the United States, the law allows you to use your UK passport.

As to what kind of "trouble" you will have --<sigh><hesitation> -- this may be in the nature of a "no harm, no foul" type of thing. This is something akin to using hand-signals when driving to get the burnt-out taillight repaired.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

That makes sense, i guess i have no choice, i'll just make sure i have all the necessary paperwork. Rushed passport processing is just not possible in two days.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

That makes sense, i guess i have no choice, i'll just make sure i have all the necessary paperwork. Rushed passport processing is just not possible in two days.
Hi:

If you do that, I would suggest taking a photocopy of your Natz certificate, your passport application receipt and make a visit to the "ACS" of the Consulate in London and have a talk with them. They might be [or perhaps not] be quite helpful. That is what the ACS exists for after all.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your loss.

You could try going to the US Embassy in London... they can produce emergency passports on the spot with limited validity. With it being your first, could be a problem though. When I was last at the Embassy, I saw a USC get a passport within a couple of hours. All a bit of a gamble for you though...
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

I may make some calls when i'm there, but 'll be in northern Scotland and it's a case if arrive, funeral and leave. It virtually impossible to get any government service on the phone to explain my situation!! I'll make sure i have my paperwork in order.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your loss.
There are regional offices that process US passports on the day - but I suspect you no longer have your citizenship certificate (in with your on-going passport application). There's one in Boston - you have to show you're travelling within 2 weeks - run on InfoPass arrangements. Going in and explaining may allow them to spped up the process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.