Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I transfer my UK drivers license?

Can I transfer my UK drivers license?

Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I transfer my UK drivers license?

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
No UK license so no idea.
I thought so. I don't think you normally have to go through all that if you hve a UK license. I realise it varies from state to state but if normally if you have a UK license it is quick and fairly painless to obtain a US one.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I saw on the WI DMV site http://www.dot.state.wi.us/drivers/ that if you were moving to the area and had a foreign licence you could mention it on the application form. It also mentioned that out-of-state licence holders only had to re-take the tests if their licences had expired more than 8 years ago so I don't know if that would apply for foreign licenses too. But that route also required you to surrender your old license...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I saw on the WI DMV site http://www.dot.state.wi.us/drivers/ that if you were moving to the area and had a foreign licence you could mention it on the application form. It also mentioned that out-of-state licence holders only had to re-take the tests if their licences had expired more than 8 years ago so I don't know if that would apply for foreign licenses too. But that route also required you to surrender your old license...
In NJ we only had to take a multiple answer written test. On quite a few DMV websites the rules aren't clear for license holders from other countries.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

So - any WI BEers who had UK licences? Anyone?!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

jambojim is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Can I transfer my UK drivers license?

Originally Posted by fatbrit

The tests are easy: for the written one there will be a booklet and you should give yourself at least 30 mins to read it before taking the test, and for the driving one you'll pass as long as you don't kill more than three children on your 2 mile drive.

Now that's funny.... I live in KY and I'm just now about to sort out my state license. My biggest problem is getting hold of the right person at my local DMV for information relating to fees. No-one seems to ever answer the frigging phone either that or I'm calling a pay phone in the middle of BFE. I am really looking forward to the tests sad as that sounds but I have always wanted to know how the hell you can let children drive cars on the roads over here....well lets face it you can pick up a pint of milk, a loaf of bread and a shotgun at your local Wal-Mart without raising an eyebrow, but you ask for a packet of twenty cigarettes they look at you funny and then ask for ID...I'm nearly 30yrs old...lol Well better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Last edited by jambojim; Apr 23rd 2008 at 5:59 pm. Reason: miss word
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambojim
Now that's funny.... I live in KY and I'm just now about to sort out my state license. My biggest problem is getting hold of the right person at my local DMV for information relating to fees. No-one seems to ever answer the frigging phone either that or I'm calling a pay phone in the middle of BFE. I am really looking forward to the tests sad as that sounds but I have always wanted to know how the hell you can let children drive cars on the roads over here....well lets face it you can pick up a pint of milk, a loaf of bread and a shotgun at your local Wal-Mart without raising an eyebrow, but you ask for a packet of twenty cigarettes they look at you funny and then ask for ID...I'm nearly 30yrs old...lol Well better to be safe than sorry I guess.
Why do you need to call them about fees? Something not listed here?

http://drlic.kytc.ky.gov/general/Eff%207-1-2005.htm
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

thank you.
However I was wanting to know if the price you see there is just for the license itself...what about fees for the written and practical test.

Am I missing it somewhere?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

No fees. Just for the licence. At least here in IL...
$10 for the learners permit (which you take your written test to get) and $20 for the licence (which you take your driving test to get obviously!).
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambojim
thank you.
However I was wanting to know if the price you see there is just for the license itself...what about fees for the written and practical test.

Am I missing it somewhere?
I don't think so.. while I've only ever licensed in three states, there has never been a charge for the tests. I've not heard of that elsewhere in the country.

Just pay attention to the special section for non-US citizens.

good luck!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

thank you
You've all been very helpful.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:01 am
Just Joined

JD99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by English Muffin
I took my test last Wednesday and my examiner answered her mobile phone three times during the course of it! I was speechless!
Perhaps this explains why no one seems to know how to actually drive in the US!
Old May 4th 2008, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

dagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nice

Well, I recently attempted to get my US drivers licence in Washington State. After being informed that my IR-1 Visa in my passport didn't mean I was a permanent resident (something which I attempted to rebuke but was impolitely talked over when trying to do so) and that a letter from the US Government didn't show adequate proof of address, i've decided to ride a bike!

DMV Bastards.
Old May 4th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Ring up the DMV head office in the state and ask them to contact your local DMV about it maybe....or just go to a different DMV where they aren't idiots and might actually know their own job.
Old May 4th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

dagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nicedagenham-dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ring up the DMV head office in the state and ask them to contact your local DMV about it maybe....or just go to a different DMV where they aren't idiots and might actually know their own job.
Well, for one I know that Washington has strict rules on proving residency. My friend also went to the DMV that day and was told he needed 3 utility bills to prove residency! Three utility bills! Besides, the town where we live is so bike friendly and has a bus system comparable to that of the UK that me and my wife have decided to ride bikes for the forseeable future.
Old May 4th 2008, 7:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dagenham-dave
Well, for one I know that Washington has strict rules on proving residency. My friend also went to the DMV that day and was told he needed 3 utility bills to prove residency! Three utility bills! Besides, the town where we live is so bike friendly and has a bus system comparable to that of the UK that me and my wife have decided to ride bikes for the forseeable future.
Couple of problems with this:

* Your license is your ID. Without it, many will consider you an undocumented alien. I think the only place I've ever used my license to prove my ability to drive is a car rental place. But I must pull it out several times weekly at other places to get me what I want.

* Your insurance will be loaded when you have a fresh US license history. So it would make sense for you to get the license now even if you aren't buying a car to start the clock ticking on the "new driver premium".

Realize you've had problems with DMV -- and they are indeed some of the dumbest tw@s one could meet. But persevere and you'll get there . One suggestion not yet touted is to find your state representative (since licensing is a state issue) and see if they can get them moving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.