Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I transfer money from USA to UK with no restrictions ?

Can I transfer money from USA to UK with no restrictions ?

Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:26 pm

katie-kins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I transfer money from USA to UK with no restrictions ?

Right you expats answer this bugger !

When we eventually leave USA this year we will be wanting to transfer a large sum of $$$ into our UK bank, is there any restrictions on the amount in one transaction or any withholding ???

We are UK citizens here on temporary visa with SSN and file taxes.

Family and friends in the UK seem to think they know more than me and are telling me I can't take my money out of USA it has to stay here ??!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I transfer money from USA to UK with no restrictions ?

Originally Posted by katie-kins

When we eventually leave USA this year we will be wanting to transfer a large sum of $$$ into our UK bank, is there any restrictions on the amount in one transaction or any withholding ???

Family and friends in the UK seem to think they know more than me and are telling me I can't take my money out of USA it has to stay here ??!

There are some restrictions on moving currency - i.e. dollar bills - but otherwise you should be OK - you might set some money laundering flags off but i have sent 10s of K without issue or question
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
There are some restrictions on moving currency - i.e. dollar bills - but otherwise you should be OK - you might set some money laundering flags off but i have sent 10s of K without issue or question
So if we do a transfer of say $100k, will we be questioned ?

Or should we do it in smaller amounts ?

We sent $20k home last year and nobody at the bank battered a eye, bloody family always doing a downer on us even when we're returning to england !
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:02 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

We sent $20k home last year and nobody at the bank battered a eye, bloody family always doing a downer on us even when we're returning to england !
Transferring in several smaller transactions is more likely to attract attention in terms of accusations of money laundering.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you mess about, the bank will generate a SAR (Suspicious Activity Report) for the Feds. Google for info.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:11 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

There is no limit. Transferred 1/2 million bucks ++ frequently with my company thorugh bank. Both directions. No difference, no trade barriers.

Nice rate for you.. $1.78 - NOT....
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
There is no limit. Transferred 1/2 million bucks ++ frequently with my company thorugh bank
Bloody hell - you must get paid well
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I would speak to your Bank Manager, and, give him enough time to research the rules correctly before making the Transaction.

This will also allow him to obtain and verify the destination code of the intended bank to prevent errors.

Of course, money can be taken out of the USA. An awful lot of $$$$ goes to South America, and other impoverised third world countries, by immigrants who are here, and wish to support family members in the their Home Countries. Why should the Brits be treated any differently?

Jim.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I would speak to your Bank Manager, and, give him enough time to research the rules correctly before making the Transaction.

This will also allow him to obtain and verify the destination code of the intended bank to prevent errors.

Of course, money can be taken out of the USA. An awful lot of $$$$ goes to South America, and other impoverised third world countries, by immigrants who are here, and wish to support family members in the their Home Countries. Why should the Brits be treated any differently?

Jim.

Spot on Jim, exactly what I thought, plus the fact that when we moved here we brought over $70k so rightly so I should be able to take it back to wherever I want !
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
You might want to use someone other than your bank though if you want to benefit from better rates!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 8:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You can tranfer as much as you like at any time ..
Big business does it every day ...
All big transaction get reported to the Fed anyway

The only decision you have to make is who will make the tranfer
for the best rate ..

What you cannot do is bring more than $10K each with you
without declaring it ..

use XE
citibank
and a myriad of others..

Last edited by Ray; Jan 26th 2006 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

All foreign currency transactions over $10k have to be reported by US banks to the US Treasury as part of money-laundering laws. Who knows what they do with the info.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
All foreign currency transactions over $10k have to be reported by US banks to the US Treasury as part of money-laundering laws. Who knows what they do with the info.
Very little really - cash transactions though rather than FX per se