Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I please have your input

Can I please have your input

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Can I please have your input

I am looking for a job, and, after sending out my resume all over AZ, nothing has come back. A couple of things have come up in the past week, and now I am torn as to what to do. I would like come constructive input from you guys.

A friend of mine from Philly has a friend (she is a Brit) who moved down here to AZ last year to start her own business with a partner (they already had this business up and running but were doing it out of their homes). They are dermatologists and are into their own line of skin care, botox, lasers etc. They started with a $10,000 line of credit on a credit card and have turned it into a $1M Company in just 4 years, with revenues about to go thru the roof as they are going to be offering training classes to spas etc at a cost of $3000 per day (yeah apparently people will pay that kind of money, they are lining up to do it).

Anyway, they are looking for someone to take care of the accounting/general office side of things. One of their husbands has been doing it in his spare time, but the company is getting so big he cannot cope anymore. I went over there last nite to meet with them and it is a dream job. The only drawback would be the commute, at least 1hour each way. They are offering me all sorts of things to take this job, I can pick my own hours so as to miss rush hour traffic, they are promising large bonuses as the company expands etc etc. The quandary I am in is that the husband of one of these women whom I met last nite also offered me a job with the company he works for, it ended up in a fighting match over who would get me.

The husband just called me this morning and said he had talked to his boss about me and to stop interviewing people as he had found the perfect person. They want me in there tomorrow to meet with them for an interview. This job sounds really boring, they do environmental testing and I would just be inputting data onto spreadsheets and typing letters, but it is only 16 miles away from where I live.

My only problem is I hate driving, and I don't want to take this job which is an hour away, if in a couple of months I think to myself 'I just cannot do this trip anymore'. It is an ok drive, we did it yesterday afternoon at rush hour which was pretty hairy, then on the way back home, it was quiet, but it still took 1 hour. I am thinking that the job would be so good that it would negate the drive once I got into work.

Anyone got any input one way or the other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

take the job with the hour drive without a shadow of a doubt, if the job turns out to be as good as all that then move closer
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by manc1976
take the job with the hour drive without a shadow of a doubt, if the job turns out to be as good as all that then move closer
I think I'd take that job too. If you can pick your own hours and they are offering all sorts of things, is there any chance to say work one day a week from home?
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Simple one for me. I take the job where I am unhappy for just 2 hours a day driving to and from it, rather than the job where I'd be unhappy for 8 hours a day. Of course money could change that, but it sounds like the one job which is a long commute away, really wants you and would be willing to do a lot to keep you happy.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:27 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

I'm in agreement with everyone else. Two hours drving a day to be happy for the other eight, plus the other fringe benefits seems like a small sacrifice to me.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Simple one for me. I take the job where I am unhappy for just 2 hours a day driving to and from it, rather than the job where I'd be unhappy for 8 hours a day. Of course money could change that, but it sounds like the one job which is a long commute away, really wants you and would be willing to do a lot to keep you happy.
Thanks everyone, that is the one I am leaning towards. I have had so many crap jobs with really good money, but would just be counting the hours until it was time to go home at the end of the day. These 2 women are fun, like they said they had also worked for a lot of assholes in their time and they swore they would not be like that once they started their own thing. They have just been on the phone to me again twice this morning, saying they hoped they had not tried to push me too hard to take it, they felt like they had tried to do a hard sell. I said I was already sold on it, just weighing up the commute, plus I should give this guy the courtesy of doing the interview, I can always say no. They both travel the country extensively right now and have just landed a couple of really big contracts. Their goal now is to slowly have these people come to them by offering inhouse training, which everyone seems to be going along with.
I will keep you all posted on how it turns out, I have until Tuesday to make up my mind.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:26 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had already made your mind up before you posted. I'm with the rest perhaps if they are so keen they may let you work from home a few days a week. Then again if they are so much fun to work for you may even look forward to work then this would negate the hate of driving there.
Good luck
Old Jun 4th 2004, 11:39 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like the type of person that, even though you don't like the driving, would be able to adapt and get used to the long commute. Take the job. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from the sounds of it. good luck
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

as above, better unhappy 2 hours a day, than 8...

worst comes to the worst.. you move in a while to reduce the commute
Old Jun 5th 2004, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in agreeance with everyone else too - I'm sure there's more chance of regrets if you took the job close to home - the other job sounds great and I'm sure once you got used to the commute it wouldn't be so bad - especially if they are going to be flexible with the hours, you can go to work early when there is less traffic and vice versa. Just find a good radio station or stick in your favorite CD

Good luck with whatever you decide (tho I think it sounds like you already have)!
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Lesley1020
I'm in agreeance with everyone else too - I'm sure there's more chance of regrets if you took the job close to home - the other job sounds great and I'm sure once you got used to the commute it wouldn't be so bad - especially if they are going to be flexible with the hours, you can go to work early when there is less traffic and vice versa. Just find a good radio station or stick in your favorite CD

Good luck with whatever you decide (tho I think it sounds like you already have)!
Am taking the girlie job. The other one was a bust, too many red flags. Went for an interview yesterday and found out that the last 2 people who did the job just left after a couple of months and never came back. Also they are using a DOS driven program to enter the info collected, which I would then input, which the owner of the Co likes and will not deviate from. It was a small place, very old and a bit grim. Could not face working there for 8 hours a day, although the money was great. Money is not everything though. Sooooo, anyone want some free botox?????
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
Sooooo, anyone want some free botox?????
Ok lets all form an orderly line now!

Congrats - sounds like you def. did the right thing!
Old Jun 6th 2004, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally posted by effi
Am taking the girlie job. The other one was a bust, too many red flags. Went for an interview yesterday and found out that the last 2 people who did the job just left after a couple of months and never came back. Also they are using a DOS driven program to enter the info collected, which I would then input, which the owner of the Co likes and will not deviate from. It was a small place, very old and a bit grim. Could not face working there for 8 hours a day, although the money was great. Money is not everything though. Sooooo, anyone want some free botox?????
Sounds like a great opportunity - these two ladies sound like they would be fun to work with.

Any chance of car-pooling to this place?
Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:38 pm
Brit'n'TX

I echo what everybody else has said - I was out of work for 10 months after arriving here and it drove me crazy (not to mention wiping out most of our savings). I eventually landed a job which meant a 1 1/2 hour drive each way - I stuck it for a year, gaining valuable experience for my resume and then got a job which pays far better and is only a 25 minute drive away. The point being, I would never have got the better job if I hadn't taken the job with the long drive.

Take the job with the drive - you can always keep your eyes open for something closer and it's far betetr to have some recent experience on your resume than nothing at all!

Go for it!