Reload this Page >

Can I move to USA?

Can I move to USA?

Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

JMBMk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I move to USA?

Hi
My husband and I would very much like to move to the US. (Not immediately, in the next 10 years) We work really hard and have no intention of changing this but would be nice to have the weather to enjoy what time off we do have and don't want to move to Europe.

I currently am working towards L3 Diploma in health and Social care and will be studying towards my Level 4/5 soon which is equivalent to degree level. My husband works in IT and earns a good living but doesn't have the qualifications. We will have about £70,000 in the bank by the time we move.

Basically the options we see is that when I have my Level 5 see if we can get over on a work visa or one of us study in USA in our chosen field but assume, if like australia we wont be able to work during that time? Also if I were studying would he be allowed to come with me? How does that work? Also would I be able to stay when I qualify? Husbands company is also expanding to the USA and he has already registered an interest for transfer and sponsorship.

Any advise on best route to take appreciated and whether we even have a chance?
Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I move to USA?

How soon are they expanding, and has he had any positive response to his transfer request? This would be a good route.

Regarding where you want to move to, do you prefer humidity and mosquitoes, drought or snowstorms?

Also keep in mind, your quality of life, cultural experiences and time off may be better where you are.

Just a different shade of green here, not necessarily better.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
..... Regarding where you want to move to, do you prefer humidity and mosquitoes, drought or snowstorms? .....
You forgot hurricanes, tornados, wildfires, floods, mudslides, and earthquakes. ..... Across the vast majority of the US you are forced to pick a minimum of TWO from your and my lists combined, three is more usual, four is quite possible, and I don't think five is out of the question.

To the OP, you realize that most jobs in the US start with only 10 holiday days per year, and if you're lucky, six bank holidays (1/1, Memorial day (May), 4 July, Labor day (Sept), Thanksgiving, and Christmas), don't you? Moving here for a "better quality of life" can be a futile exercise.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 25th 2014 at 7:03 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly a chance through the husband's transfer.

What kind of job would you see yourself doing?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Also keep in mind, your quality of life, cultural experiences and time off may be better where you are.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 11:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JMBMk1
Basically the options we see is that when I have my Level 5 see if we can get over on a work visa or one of us study in USA in our chosen field but assume, if like australia we wont be able to work during that time?
I'm not sure what "health and social care" leads to professionally but the nurses union got H-1A abolished in the early 1990s, which was for RNs and similar positions, now only nurses in teaching positions can come in on H-1B. There is a category called H-1C for nursing positions but the quota is tiny (a few hundred) and it is distributed regionally and your spouse would be H-4 (i.e. cannot work).

Also if I were studying would he be allowed to come with me? How does that work?
If you were enrolled in the US at a college as F-1 (student) or M-1 (vocational student) he would be F-2 or M-2, which means they can accompany you but not work. You might possibly be J-1 for medical training, in which case J-2 can work.

Also would I be able to stay when I qualify?
No. Once you graduate you have to leave, although students are usually eligible for "optional practical training" which basically means you can work for a year afterward. Theoretically you could get someone to sponsor you for a work-related category but fresh out of college it's unlikely and as said you would be H-1B (very tight quota) or H-1C (extremely tight quota) and your spouse would not be eligible to work. If you wanted to be a teacher, then H-1B for "institutes of higher learning" are quota exempt.

[quota]Husbands company is also expanding to the USA and he has already registered an interest for transfer and sponsorship.[/quota]

In which case he can probably come over as L-1B or E-2 employee and the spouse can work, so that's the best route.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Not looking necessarily for better quality of life, I'm very aware that in UK we have it quite good. As I said we have always worked hard so something new is basically what we wanted. Granted the appeal of being able to afford a 3 bed detached house for less than the cost of a 1 bed high rise flat is strong but the cost of relocating will demolish a big chunk of that. Not that we would buy within 1st year anyway.

We have not gone blindly into this as we have discussed it for the last 3-4 years anyway and yes we have also discussed the issues of natural disasters.

I work as a senior care worker with elderly and mental health currently. My level 4 will give me registered manager status. It may also mean I can go to uni to get a social worker degree if I wish. Which is another 3 years on top but the cost of uni these days is crazy and I'm not sure I want to go down that route when it won't really get me a much better paid job at this point. My company is funding all my training and qualifications so I get paid education on the job rather than having to take time out of work.

We are still waiting to hear about the transfer interest. Won't know about that for at least 6 months yet.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

PS yes I get a good chunk of holiday but certainly no bank holidays in my line of work. but as for time off, I'm supposed to be working 36 hours a week but can't remember the last time I had a week where I did less than 60 hours over 12 hour night shifts plus day cover. Like I said I'm not work shy.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am always puzzled why people think you get a bigger better house in the US for a lot less than the UK. It depends where you live in both countries. Where I lived in NJ property was more expensive than where we lived in Chester. Not to mention the $20K per year property taxes. Utilities, cell phone, property insurance etc...much more expensive than the UK. I also found renovating kitchens and bathrooms to cost an arm and a leg here. Property repairs seem to be much more frequent than the bricks and mortar UK houses.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am always puzzled why people think you get a bigger better house in the US for a lot less than the UK. It depends where you live in both countries. Where I lived in NJ property was more expensive than where we lived in Chester. Not to mention the $20K per year property taxes. Utilities, cell phone, property insurance etc...much more expensive than the UK. I also found renovating kitchens and bathrooms to cost an arm and a leg here. Property repairs seem to be much more frequent than the bricks and mortar UK houses.
+ 1
In the East Bay (40 miles out of San Fran) we have basically a rabbit hutch for astronomical rent - ho hum
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at a 15 million house in Dana Point.

Just looking mind you...
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Cheapest 1 bed flat in area I live £60,000 ($100,815.00) and That is a small studio with no outside space. Talking a sofa bed to live and sleep on.

To get a 3 bed terrace need to be looking about £14000 minimum. ($235,235.00)

Have seen houses near houston tx and out towards the coast for about $190000. 3-4 bed with a huge plot of land.

Maybe thats why.

Also

Consumer Prices in United Kingdom are 32.53% higher than in United States
Consumer Prices Including Rent in United Kingdom are 28.65% higher than in United States
Rent Prices in United Kingdom are 20.05% higher than in United States
Restaurant Prices in United Kingdom are 51.09% higher than in United States
Groceries Prices in United Kingdom are 14.76% higher than in United States
Local Purchasing Power in United Kingdom is 28.29% lower than in United States
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Overall, though, aren't British houses smaller, even taking into account the area?

I remember that even in semi-rural North Carolina, many of the new-builds had tiny gardens. Sorry, I meant yards. 'Twas a strange development to my way of thinking.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
+ 1
In the East Bay (40 miles out of San Fran) we have basically a rabbit hutch for astronomical rent - ho hum
So that's why they all eat lettuce and such there.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

our house which we rent for £650pcm cos we know the owner, should be £750pcm is a 2 bed bungalow each bedroom just fits a double bed and nowt else.
Valued at £180,000 (302,445.00)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.