Reload this Page >

Can I live on this (comfortably)?

Can I live on this (comfortably)?

Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:29 pm
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sanj2010
katina

thank you for the link. I had an opportunity to look around the area when I was there for interview and it looked lovely! Sailing in the summer and skiing in the winter!
You're welcome! It's a nice area -- I've been to Ithaca a few times. The winters upstate can be really bad, but as long as you like skiing then that would help!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:31 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can I live on this (comfortably)?

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
Top Tip...

Stop wasting time being sick - go out there and get a 60 - 100K job for yourself
Damn.... why didn't I think of that????
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:34 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Originally posted by Steff
Gaaaah you people make me sick!!! Does everyone on here make 65-100k or what
Yes.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:42 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Manc

It will be myself, fiancee and the little one. The job is in Ithaca, so we had planned on renting (in the short term) and then seeing what happens.

Chopper

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure I will understand it when the time comes!

sanj2010

hope you have your wedding planned soon. i'm assuming you are stating ur new job in oct (soonest). US immigraion poorly caters for fiancee/partners.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:59 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what has been said so far that $65 for upstate NY is a comfortable salary. If people can live on Long Island for that, then you can definitely live upstate on it. You will be fine and you will enjoy it. As Manc said, its the experience of doing it that can't be paid for
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

sanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nice

Gross50

I'm not quite sure what you mean...could you elaborate?

sanj2010
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:51 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Gross50

I'm not quite sure what you mean...could you elaborate?

sanj2010
I think his point is that you'll have difficulty getting a visa for your fiancee. I don't know the details, but if you come over on an H1B visa, for example, I think you can only bring a partner over if you're married to them.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 9:52 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steff
Gaaaah you people make me sick!!! Does everyone on here make 65-100k or what
Not at all!

...some people make rather more than that
Old Jun 8th 2004, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

sanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nicesanj2010 is just really nice

dbj1000

We'll be going over on a TN visa, so am hoping that will not be a problem. Failing that, she'll have to make an honest man out of me!

sanj2010
Old Jun 8th 2004, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally posted by dunroving
My guess is that most people who come to the US for job-related reasons are in well-paid positions. You can't get an H-1B visa if you're a bricky or a barman.

Also, maybe those who earn less than 65k just don't make any noise about it.

Having said that, I'm a college professor and I don't earn 65k. Far from it, in fact. But then most teachers aren't in it for the money (just as well).
I'm on an H1B working in Human Services - working with people with mental retardation (or whatever the pc term is) and earn a lot less than $65k. In fact - I wonder why I took a job here for the salary I'm getting! But - as was previously said - the experience and opportunity is excellent. That is priceless.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
Top Tip...

Stop wasting time being sick - go out there and get a 60 - 100K job for yourself
True words spoken.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:58 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
Even after 4 years, I earn less here than I did in the UK.

As long as one has a roof over their kids heads, and food in their bellies what is the problem.
Same situation here, if it was not for my wife being a nurse we would be pretty strapped.
She is making twice what she was in the UK, but I'm still trying to get back to where I was 4 years ago..
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

I think what appeals to me most is the complete change of lifestyle, but the money will be nice too!

sanj2010
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:23 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbj1000
Not at all!

...some people make rather more than that

Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dunroving
My guess is that most people who come to the US for job-related reasons are in well-paid positions. You can't get an H-1B visa if you're a bricky or a barman

Also, maybe those who earn less than 65k just don't make any noise about it..
Good point!
Having said that, I'm a college professor and I don't earn 65k. Far from it, in fact. But then most teachers aren't in it for the money (just as well).
Wow, I used to think college professors made a lot more than 65k. Where do you teach?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.