Reload this Page >

Can I have UK & USA Passport?

Can I have UK & USA Passport?

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

britishguyfromsussex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I have UK & USA Passport?

Hi guys! Me again.......

Once I have done the CR1 visa and I move to America I heard that three years later I am eligible for naturalization and an American passport.

However does this cancel out my UK passport? Or can I have both a UK & USA passport?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I have UK & USA Passport?

Originally Posted by britishguyfromsussex
Hi guys! Me again.......

Once I have done the CR1 visa and I move to America I heard that three years later I am eligible for naturalization and an American passport.

However does this cancel out my UK passport? Or can I have both a UK & USA passport?
You can have both. Dual citizenship
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishguyfromsussex
Hi guys! Me again.......

You can have both.

It's not totally automatic at 3 years, but provided you are eligible, that is the earliest.
Naturalization US Citizenship Resources

Don't forget that you will have one other application in between the two you mention; i-751 petition to remove conditions on your PR status.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

britishguyfromsussex is an unknown quantity at this point

BRILLIANT THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:57 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe about time to make a sticky on this subject?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Maybe about time to make a sticky on this subject?
Great idea...let us know when you've finished it
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:27 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Great idea...let us know when you've finished it
I'm too busy (drinking beer (with both hands (and a foot))).
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I'm too busy (drinking beer (with both hands (and a foot))).
Only one foot? Does that mean you have 5 toes not doing anything?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:20 am
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by lisa67
Only one foot? Does that mean you have 5 toes not doing anything?
I'll be sure to ask them next time I see them.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:41 am
Just Joined

JohnItalia is an unknown quantity at this point

You can have both and have dual citizenship. However the UK will only see you as a UK citizen and part of the EU and the US will only see you as an American citizen. When traveling in the EU, Mexico, Canada and the rest of the world only us your UK passport and when Traveling in the US use only the America passport.
When flying out of the US you maybe required to show both. There are many other advantages to having both. Good Luck.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Just to double check...

Can I renew my UK passport with a USA address? Do they allow that?

I assume they must but has anyone on here actually done this?

Thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Just to double check...

Can I renew my UK passport with a USA address? Do they allow that?

I assume they must but has anyone on here actually done this?

Thanks.
Yes, if you renew it in the US, of course..
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:48 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnItalia
When flying out of the US you maybe required to show both.
Really? How would they know....?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

JohnItalia is an unknown quantity at this point

On your UK passport it shows you where born in the UK and that you are a UK citizen, on the American passport it will show you as an American citizen, but born in the UK. Some airlines won't ask for both, but most will unless you have a travel visa.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:16 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnItalia
On your UK passport it shows you where born in the UK and that you are a UK citizen, on the American passport it will show you as an American citizen, but born in the UK. Some airlines won't ask for both, but most will unless you have a travel visa.
That means nothing.

My son was born in Singapore, but he doesn't have, and is not entitled to a Singapore Passport. He has a US passport. Ditto for my wife who was born in Taiwan.

Traveling out of the US, as long as you have the US passport (plus any visa that is required for wherever you are going) I don't understand why anyone would ask for anything else?

Are you saying that the airline would refuse you boarding if you were traveling on a US passport that showed you born in a different country and you couldn't provide a passport from that country?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.