Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I get my Greencard in my homecountry?

Can I get my Greencard in my homecountry?

Old Jul 20th 2002, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

needhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant future
Default Can I get my Greencard in my homecountry?

I am married to US citizen and I am here in US on f1visa. Is this possible for me to go back to my home country and get my green card after I-130 approved or Do I have to file I-485?
Old Jul 20th 2002, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I get my Greencard in my homecountry?

You can go abroad for consular processing if you wish. There is a check box on the I-130 form to indicate the choice.

Depending on the country in question, the USC may be able to file the I-130 in person at the consulate, bypassing the US Service Center, thereby streamlining and speeding up the entire process.
Old Jul 20th 2002, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

ps: you won't get your green card until you arrive in the US. What you get is an immigrant visa which enables you to get a temporary green card right in the airport.
Old Jul 21st 2002, 3:20 pm
Mrtravel

needhelp wrote:
    >
    > I am married to US citizen and I am here in US on f1visa. Is this possible for me
    > to go back to my home country and get my green card after I-130 approved or Do I
    > have to file I-485?
    >

You can return to your home country and get a spouse visa after the I-130 is
approved. The I-130 should indicate the consulate where you will be interviewing. I
believe you will need an address in the foreign country. I don't think this would be
any different than marrying on a B-1/B-2 and returning to the home country for an
interview. When the visa is approved, your old visa is canceled. I assume you want to
do this to avoid the hassles with adjusting status and the issues with EAD and AP.