Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I buy a car without a driving licence?

Can I buy a car without a driving licence?

Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I buy a car without a driving licence?

Originally Posted by augigi
Thanks - sounds good. Had you contacted insurance companies before getting to the dealership, or did you just call one cold from there?
you just need to show an insurance waiver thingy that you'll get insurance to buy the car, it doesn't matter if your foreign or local, you've then got 10 business days I think to actually get the insurance, need that to register the car though.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It always amazes me how they allow someone from a country that drives on the other side of the road a longer period of grace than a resident of another state.
students for example aren't considered residents, so they wouldn't need to get a local license, same for out of state students etc...
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:09 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It always amazes me how they allow someone from a country that drives on the other side of the road a longer period of grace than a resident of another state.
I was peeved that they would just let you switch licenses if you were from France but not UK.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Doris, yep I'm off to Pitt. I'm not so worried about the medical test for D/L now - I have to have a health screening (drug test!) the day after I arrive before I can start work, so I'm going to take the form to that appointment and get them to sign that I'm A1 to drive. Multitasking - not a junkie AND fit to drive!

I did check out Intl. AutoSource, but it seems like they only lease new cars, and I'm planning to cope with a cheaper (~$10 K) used car, since I'll have to pay cash.

I'm going to do without a car at first - my housemate is picking me up from the airport and I'm living in Squirrel Hill, so it's quite close to work via bus.

I plan to try and get the local D/L as soon as I have the SSN, I do have the Aussie license and international permit thingy in the meantime.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:19 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Doris, yep I'm off to Pitt. I'm not so worried about the medical test for D/L now - I have to have a health screening (drug test!) the day after I arrive before I can start work, so I'm going to take the form to that appointment and get them to sign that I'm A1 to drive. Multitasking - not a junkie AND fit to drive!

I did check out Intl. AutoSource, but it seems like they only lease new cars, and I'm planning to cope with a cheaper (~$10 K) used car, since I'll have to pay cash.

I'm going to do without a car at first - my housemate is picking me up from the airport and I'm living in Squirrel Hill, so it's quite close to work via bus.

I plan to try and get the local D/L as soon as I have the SSN, I do have the Aussie license and international permit thingy in the meantime.

Thanks!
International Autosource implied that we could only get insurance with AIG International if we bought new cars from them.
Everything was chaotic at that time and so we believed them. Now I am not so sure and I think AIG would have insured us whatever we had bought and it wouldn't have mattered who we bought it from.

We got a really good rate from AIG.

Last edited by jumping doris; Feb 15th 2008 at 6:27 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Muffin
I now just need to get my driving licence but I'm getting married a week on Tuesday and I'll be changing my name so I'm going to do it after that.
You may want to check ahead to see what documentation you'll need for the license. If your Immigration documents don't match your new name, they can give you a hard time, even with the marriage license.
Double check your plans.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You may want to check ahead to see what documentation you'll need for the license. If your Immigration documents don't match your new name, they can give you a hard time, even with the marriage license.
Double check your plans.
I've already done that, but thanks for pointing it out. I need to get my name changed on my SSN and on the utility bills first and then I should be good to go.

And I thought the immigration process was a nightmare and everything would be plain sailing once I got my visa and arrived here.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Muffin
I've already done that, but thanks for pointing it out. I need to get my name changed on my SSN and on the utility bills first and then I should be good to go.

And I thought the immigration process was a nightmare and everything would be plain sailing once I got my visa and arrived here.
Not trying to be a nudge, but SSA won't change you to anything that doesn't match your Immigration file.
Certain types of marriage certificates will fit their criteria for name changes.

lol, getting the visa is the easy part!