Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can I but megamillion lottery tickets online?

Can I but megamillion lottery tickets online?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can I but megamillion lottery tickets online?

I'd like to buy some megamillion lottery tickets on behalf of a friend who is a USC and US resident - does anyone know if I can do this onlilne? I'm presuming only US residents are eligible to win?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I but megamillion lottery tickets online?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'd like to buy some megamillion lottery tickets on behalf of a friend who is a USC and US resident - does anyone know if I can do this onlilne? I'm presuming only US residents are eligible to win?

http://www.usamega.com/
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
I already checked there but couldn't find the answer to my question (i.e., can I buy tickets online, on behalf of someone else).

If I'm ineligible (as a nonresident/non-USC) to receive winnings and can't transfer them to anyone in the US in the event of a win, I'd need to make it clear when I buy the tickets that they are in someone else's name ...
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I already checked there but couldn't find the answer to my question (i.e., can I buy tickets online, on behalf of someone else).

If I'm ineligible (as a nonresident/non-USC) to receive winnings and can't transfer them to anyone in the US in the event of a win, I'd need to make it clear when I buy the tickets that they are in someone else's name ...
As far as I'm aware you can't buy tickets online and non US citizens can claim winnings.

http://www.megamillions.com/faqs/

Do I need to live in one of the Mega Millions states in order to win?
There is NO residency requirement to play and win Mega Millions. To illustrate this point, in the past, residents of non-Mega Millions states — even residents of other countries — have won prizes in every prize category, including the jackpot.
Can non-US citizens play? What if a non-US citizen wins?
Yes, non-US citizens can legally play, and non-US citizens are eligible to win any prize offered in the game.
If a non-US citizen wins, they would claim their prize in the same manner that a US citizen would, but the taxes withheld would be different. For example, federal withholding for non-US citizens is a flat 30%. Also, individual states may have different tax structures for non-US citizens than they do for US citizens. Depending on which country the person is a legal resident of, there also may be tax treaties between the US and that other country which could be helpful in offsetting whatever the US tax liabilities are.
In short, non-US citizens can play and win Mega Millions. If a non-US citizen wins a large prize, they will be responsible for some amount of tax, which in the end will probably be an amount similar to what a US citizen would pay, but there are so many possible variations with international tax codes that you'll need to consult with a local tax attorney if you need to know a precise amount of tax liability.

http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-faq.htm

Last edited by SarahG; Jan 4th 2011 at 3:46 pm. Reason: found another answer
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

See the above

Last edited by Rete; Jan 4th 2011 at 3:57 pm. Reason: that was news to me.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:58 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

No.....I am running a thread at the moment on the megamillions and I too looked into this and got shot down when I asked in the store.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:17 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
No.....I am running a thread at the moment on the megamillions and I too looked into this and got shot down when I asked in the store.
That's how I interpret the information above, although it doesn't directly address the double-whammy of non-USC AND non-resident. My interpretation of the above is that non-resident USC's can buy and claim, and resident non-USC's can buy/claim, but not both ... ah well, it was a good idea while it lasted. We have been getting a lot of coverage of the current huge payout, on CNN, and I thought it would be fun to buy a handful of tickets for someone I know in the US who deserves a lottery win.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:19 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

the actual mega millions site says something a bit different.

Can lottery tickets be purchased over the internet?

No, lottery tickets cannot be sold over the internet. But as an alternative, we recommend that non-USA residents use Betslips.com, which purchases Mega Millions lottery tickets from a licensed state lottery retailer on your behalf.
and

Can non-US citizens play? What if a non-US citizen wins?

Yes, non-US citizens can legally play, and non-US citizens are eligible to win any prize offered in the game.

If a non-US citizen wins, they would claim their prize in the same manner that a US citizen would, but the taxes withheld would be different. For example, federal withholding for non-US citizens is a flat 30%. Also, individual states may have different tax structures for non-US citizens than they do for US citizens. Depending on which country the person is a legal resident of, there also may be tax treaties between the US and that other country which could be helpful in offsetting whatever the US tax liabilities are.

In short, non-US citizens can play and win Mega Millions. If a non-US citizen wins a large prize, they will be responsible for some amount of tax, which in the end will probably be an amount similar to what a US citizen would pay, but there are so many possible variations with international tax codes that you'll need to consult with a local tax attorney if you need to know a precise amount of tax liability.
from here: http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-faq.htm

Last edited by MsElui; Jan 4th 2011 at 5:22 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
As far as I'm aware you can't buy tickets online and non US citizens can claim winnings.
Small print on most tickets say you've got to be a LPR though, so you're either a USC living aboard, or you're an LPR residing in the US...
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

No, you cant buy tickets online....hence the lines around the stores that sell the tickets....
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I am a resident alien. I won a small amount in last week's drawing that I claimed with no problems. Not sure about the big jackpot but I hope I can!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I am a resident alien. I won a small amount in last week's drawing that I claimed with no problems. Not sure about the big jackpot but I hope I can!
collecting a small sum from the local store etc, they probably don't care but if they can dodge the big one...it's not just the lottery, it's pretty much everything with a decent prize usually has a LPR scribble in the small print
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:50 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well it is $355 million now lol

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jan 5th 2011 at 2:04 am.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
collecting a small sum from the local store etc, they probably don't care but if they can dodge the big one...it's not just the lottery, it's pretty much everything with a decent prize usually has a LPR scribble in the small print
I read the website pretty carefully - it seems you can claim as a non resident alien, you just get shafted with higher taxes.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

not sure about the claiming part, but i have played online via congolotto.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.