Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

can i bring a leased car moving into the U.S from Canada?

can i bring a leased car moving into the U.S from Canada?

Old Feb 2nd 2003, 8:24 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 8
sheds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can i bring a leased car moving into the U.S from Canada?

Hi, can somebody please help me. I'm planning on moving to the U.S from Canada this summer to live with my boyfriend for 6 months and then if all goes well, we'll get engaged. I have a leased car (2001 Honda) and i'm in the middle of my lease agreement.
Am I allowed to bring it into the U.S (California) or should i just try and get out of my lease before I move. Also, how difficult is it to sell a Canadian bought car in California?
Thanks for your help!
Sheds
sheds is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 3:03 am
  #2  
Stuart Brook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: can i bring a leased car moving into the U.S from Canada?

sheds wrote:
    >
    > Hi, can somebody please help me. I'm planning on moving to the U.S from
    > Canada this summer to live with my boyfriend for 6 months and then if
    > all goes well, we'll get engaged. I have a leased car (2001 Honda) and
    > i'm in the middle of my lease agreement.
    > Am I allowed to bring it into the U.S (California) or should i just try
    > and get out of my lease before I move. Also, how difficult is it to sell
    > a Canadian bought car in California?
    > Thanks for your help!
    > Sheds


Generally, no you can't, unless you can convince the leaseholder.

It is hard to sell a Canadian car in the US due to emissions differences
and due to the apparent high mileage - even after you explain it!
 
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 6:50 am
  #3  
Rich Wales
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: can i bring a leased car moving into the U.S from Canada?

Stuart Brook wrote:

> It is hard to sell a Canadian car in the US due to
> emissions differences . . .

Actually, it was my understanding that most cars built for the
Canadian market in the past several years do have emissions
equipment that meets the US EPA "49-state" (i.e., non-California)
specs. (And even if one is moving to California, it is enough
that one's car should meet the 49-state emissions requirements.)

When I moved (back) to the US from Canada in 1997, and did the
DOT and EPA paperwork to (re)import back into the US the same
car which I had exported from the US to Canada five years
earlier, the EPA form claimed that all Canadian-certified cars,
starting with the 1988 model year, qualified as "identical in
all material respects to a US-certified version" -- meaning
that such a car could be imported into the US without any
modifications to the emissions system. I can't say for sure
that that's still the case now, but that's what the EPA claimed
back then.

> and due to the apparent high mileage - even after
> you explain it!

Yes, that is indeed likely to be a problem, since most Americans
are extremely unfamiliar with SI (metric) measurements and will
not want to mess with a car with a "weird" "foreign" speedometer.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.
 
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 1:58 pm
  #4  
Stuart Brook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: can i bring a leased car moving into the U.S from Canada?

Rich Wales wrote:

    > Actually, it was my understanding that most cars built for the
    > Canadian market in the past several years do have emissions
    > equipment that meets the US EPA "49-state" (i.e., non-California)
    > specs. (And even if one is moving to California, it is enough
    > that one's car should meet the 49-state emissions requirements.)

There are still some models that have minor differences ... Not always
show stoppers ... but can cause problems.

Stuart
 
Old Feb 5th 2003, 1:07 am
  #5  
Al Hearn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: can i bring a leased car moving into the U.S from Canada?

In the US, car lease agreements specifically state that the vehicle
cannot be moved to another country. This is primarily because the laws
between the two countries are different and would make the lease
agreement difficult, if not impossible, to enforce. My guess is that
Canadian lease agreements have the same restriction, for the same
reason.

Al

sheds wrote in message news:...
    > Hi, can somebody please help me. I'm planning on moving to the U.S from
    > Canada this summer to live with my boyfriend for 6 months and then if
    > all goes well, we'll get engaged. I have a leased car (2001 Honda) and
    > i'm in the middle of my lease agreement.
    > Am I allowed to bring it into the U.S (California) or should i just try
    > and get out of my lease before I move. Also, how difficult is it to sell
    > a Canadian bought car in California?
    > Thanks for your help!
    > Sheds
 
Old Feb 5th 2003, 4:45 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 8
sheds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

i just wanted to thank everyone for responding to my post....!!
sheds is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.