Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It can be done!

Wikiposts

It can be done!

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

leopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really nice
Default Re: It can be done!

Yeah a joint sponsor isn't a problem for us if it comes to it but I'm not liking the thought of dragging this out any longer than it should. It's crazy that this years income isn't enough.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leopards
Yeah a joint sponsor isn't a problem for us if it comes to it but I'm not liking the thought of dragging this out any longer than it should. It's crazy that this years income isn't enough.
This year's (2009) income SHOULD be enough, if the USC currently earns above the poverty level for their household size plus the immigrant.

Having a joint sponsor doesn't drag anything out any longer...it helps even make it shorter, when the immigrant goes to the visa interview, if for some reason the USC's I-864 is not sufficient, they can immediately present the Joint Sponsor's I-864 and save the time of having to find one AFTER the visa interview.

Edit to add: In case of an AOS (instead of visa process as I described above), you might receive an RFE if the USC's I-864 is insufficient, in which case yes...it will take a bit of time to turn in the joint sponsor's I-864, but if you have it ready to go just in case, it won't take too much time out of your process.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 2nd 2009 at 8:03 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

davidAW is an unknown quantity at this point

If it helps, from the time I received the RIE with the joint sponsor suggestion on it to the time I received the e-mail saying the case processing was being resumed, was 8 days!

I received the RIE on the Friday, had the I-864 completed along with my Joint Sponsors 2008 1040, two consecutive payslips and a copy of her birth certificate ready over the Saturday/Sunday; mailed everything overnight via USPS on the Monday and had the confirming e-mail on the Friday.

And you do not need to take your Joint Sponsor with you to the AOS interview (unless they specifically request attendance)

David
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidAW
Florida4,

Some of the IO's spoke to the applicant first before calling in the USC. With us' they called us in together.

That maybe because each IO has a different approach to the interview although to be honest, it seemed to me that IF there was a clear question mark over the couple (mixed race, huge age differences etc) they may try and weed out the obvious "convenience" marriages as quickly as possible by asking pertinent questions of the applicant alone and then trying to get the USC to confirm those answers afterwards.

I may be way off base here but including myself and my Wife, there was only one other same race couple, a USC wife and a UK husband and neither they nor we were separated, every one else was!

David

Congradulations David.
I noticed your comment above. When I first joined this forum I had written that one of the lawyers I consulted with had told me that our case would be "red-flagged" becuase we are a mixed race couple. We have no age difference though. At the time, most people wrote that they though this was not an issue. I realize that explicity saying so would be politically incorrect, but since this forum is "unofficial", I just wanted to ask folks' thought one more time.

Our interview is in a week's time by the way, and i'm getting VERY nervous.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

jmood,

Thanks for your understanding about what I said. I did not want to insinuate anything, I just reported what I saw.

David
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:29 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

jm,

My wife and I are a mixed-race couple, and we have a very significant age difference. Neither were issues.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by jmood
When I first joined this forum I had written that one of the lawyers I consulted with had told me that our case would be "red-flagged" becuase we are a mixed race couple. We have no age difference though. At the time, most people wrote that they though this was not an issue. I realize that explicity saying so would be politically incorrect, but since this forum is "unofficial", I just wanted to ask folks' thought one more time.

Our interview is in a week's time by the way, and i'm getting VERY nervous.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think then, that perhaps the Tampa office people were more "sensitive" to racial mixes?

David, don't worry, I totally understand.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

No.

On reflection I think that each IO has his or her own way of conducting the interviews and possibly their own procedures encourage them to "shake it up" a bit when it comes to doing them to keep applicants on their toes (so to speak!). Its a pretty safe bet that they know that interview procedures are widely discussed on forums like this.

I do not know what the percentages are when it comes to marriages of convenience, marriage for money/green card etc but I bet they are quite high. The IO's job is the final checkpoint so more power to them I say.

And of course, if everything is above board then there is nothing to worry about.

David