Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Can anybody recommend a city in America for me?

Can anybody recommend a city in America for me?

Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

ktmay2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can anybody recommend a city in America for me?

Hi guys,
I want to move to a large American city (like Boston or NY) after school, and was wondering whether you guys could recommend somewhere specific for me.
I LOVE the rain, snow, and cold weather and dislike hot weather in the summer. I know, it sounds weird. I would also love to live by a lake/river/sea if possible.
Anywhere you guys can think of?
Thanks,
Katie
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anybody recommend a city in America for me?

Cleveland. However, the real question is how do you plan on moving? You can't just decide to live here. If you aren't a US citizen then generally the chances are very small that you will be able to see your plan through.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Cleveland. However, the real question is how do you plan on moving? You can't just decide to live here. If you aren't a US citizen then generally the chances are very small that you will be able to see your plan through.
But her evil twin wants to move to Canada..
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:17 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Cleveland.
Cleveland isn't hot in the summer?

I'd recommend New England--plenty of lakes/rivers/seas around here. The further north you go along the NE coast, the cooler the summers can get even in the cities. (You do get those nasty biting midges/no-see-um things up north, but maybe not in the urban areas.)
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:21 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ktmay2
Hi guys,
I want to move to a large American city (like Boston or NY) after school, and was wondering whether you guys could recommend somewhere specific for me.
I LOVE the rain, snow, and cold weather and dislike hot weather in the summer. I know, it sounds weird. I would also love to live by a lake/river/sea if possible.
Thanks,
Katie
Might be better if you decide which country you want to be in first as you have a similar post in the Canada forum.

Edit - as asked on Canada thread - do you have any visas allowing you to live in either country?

Last edited by old.sparkles; Sep 14th 2013 at 3:24 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Heat is all relative......I'd give Houston a try...ignore the naysayers (of which there may be many) you might be pleasantly surprised!
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
Thanks,
Katie
Much better chance of going to Canada than the US, especially as you state 'after school' which doesn't sound like you are getting a degree. No degree, or rather no honours degree, then the chance of going to the US based on you qualifications is somewhat less than 0.001%. Your best chance is match.com, and find someone to marry to get you there..
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Montreal

Vancouver
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Montreal

Vancouver
Don't know about Montreal, but I don't think either Vancouver gets that much snow.

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 14th 2013 at 3:38 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'll be the one to be totally blunt. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but...

You DO realize that you can't just wake up one morning and think "Oh, it's a lovely day. I think I'll move to Canada or the USA", right?

Unless you have a direct relative that is a citizen of said country (or you marry one), your chances of doing anything more than taking a holiday in either place are slim to none, especially if you're fresh out of school with no experience. You MAY be able to go to college in the US, but that's a really expensive option and it would only be temporary - and you wouldn't be able to work to earn your keep or education!

Them's the facts, like 'em or not.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

You DO realize that you can't just wake up one morning and think "Oh, it's a lovely day. I think I'll move to Canada or the USA", right?

Unless you have a direct relative that is a citizen of said country (or you marry one), your chances of doing anything more than taking a holiday in either place are slim to none, especially if you're fresh out of school with no experience. You MAY be able to go to college in the US, but that's a really expensive option and it would only be temporary - and you wouldn't be able to work to earn your keep or education!

Several people have already pointed that out, but there has been no reply from the OP.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
Thanks,
Katie
St. John's, Newfoundland. It can get hot, but not obnoxiously hot like Boston or NYC. Also the summer is mercifully short.

St. John's is surrounded by the sea, and has a pretty nice lake right in the city! If you like pubs, I believe Water Street has more pubs per capita or per linear kilometer (or whatever) than anywhere else in the world.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Vancouver has the mountains nearby?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:08 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

To tick all the boxes, wouldn't Alaska be the place?
....oh hang on...I suppose even Anchorage is no Boston or NY
....on second thoughts, I suppose Vancouver, the north one, is looking better Boiler.

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 14th 2013 at 4:17 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

ktmay2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Don't worry, I realise that! I actually do have a few relatives in America, in Wisconsin. I fully understand it will be a very lengthy and difficult process but I like to research options before I dive into something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.