Reload this Page >

Camp in your back garden/yard | LA

Camp in your back garden/yard | LA

Old Jan 1st 2017, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

cbenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Camp in your back garden/yard | LA

Hi everyone! My first post

Long story short, I'm a backpacker from the UK who wants to see the world. I'm currently studying at university but would like to travel as much as I can and ultimately settle in LA after I graduate. I have a month off uni for Easter in April and cannot wait to visit LA any longer but being a student, I cannot even afford a hostel for the time being and I don't see the point in just coming for a few days. Anyhow, I'm planning on bringing a tent with me and was wondering if I could kindly set it up in somebody's back garden/yard. I know it sounds crazy but it would be fun and definitely a story to tell, beside the fact that it would allow me to finally see LA. I also plan on visiting SF and LV for a few days.

I'm not some creep haha, this is my couchsurfing profile < snip >

Cheers

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 1st 2017 at 7:05 pm. Reason: Potential personal info snipped
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camp in your back garden/yard | LA

Hi and welcome to BE. I snipped the link to your profile, due to any personal info being shown. If you end up finding an interested party, you can send the link to them via PM.

Regarding relocating to LA after graduation, that is not too likely to happen until you have work experience or a masters degree under your belt. What field will your degree be in?

Since you have very little money for this trip in April, how do you plan to eat, sightsee, and travel within the USA?

Rene
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

A night in an un-airconditioned sweat box. Yuck. Oh well, good luck.

Pretty sure you need a fixed address for your ESTA application though!
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and welcome to BE. I snipped the link to your profile, due to any personal info being shown. If you end up finding an interested party, you can send the link to them via PM.

Regarding relocating to LA after graduation, that is not too likely to happen until you have work experience or a masters degree under your belt. What field will your degree be in?

Since you have very little money for this trip in April, how do you plan to eat, sightsee, and travel within the USA?

Rene
Hi! Thank You and I appreciate you editing the post to remove the link.

I'm studying for a degree in Biochemistry, which includes a sandwich year (1 year experience in the industry). Depending on whether I get over 60% in my examinations this year, there is a possibility of doing my 2nd year in a partner university in Florida next year, as well as doing placement in the USA during my placement year in year 3. I was also born in Bulgaria so I can enter the Greencard lottery, which I have this year. Depending on how things develop and whether I get a paid placement in year 3, I plan on immigrating as soon as I graduate. If I end up getting the Greencard this year, I will have to be in the US working over summer (2018) to avoid losing it or at least get the reentry permit which allows to be away for 2 years.

In regards to costs, I haven't exactly set up a budget yet as it's all in the planning phase but would probably be aiming to do it for under 1000£ including plane tickets which would cost about 350£ both ways, perhaps. In terms of food, I will be buying cheap stuff from Walmart (I normally always eat out when abroad but US is quite expensive) and I'm a backpacker so will try and spend as little as possible. In terms of travelling, I will be using public transport in LA - I read that there is something like an oyster card that costs about 20$ a week or so. Also, I only plan on visiting SF and LA for a few days and there is tickets with Megabus from about 40$ or so, both ways.

Edit: My plan for this year was initially to get the J1 visa and work in the US over summer on a "cultural exchange programme". I paid a bit extra so the company that sponsors the J1 visa finds me a job too, which they have in South Carolina, but I'm not too impressed and don't see it as good value for money. Furthermore, the job ends at the beginning of September so if I was to indeed study in the US in the next academic year, I would have to have relocated to the university at beginning of August, meaning I wont be able to travel at all. The plan thus is to perhaps just go LA in April and spend my summer backpacking through South East Asia.

Last edited by cbenson; Jan 1st 2017 at 7:56 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help but wonder, if you are camping in someone's back yard, what are you planning on doing as an alternative to using conventional plumbing?
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
A night in an un-airconditioned sweat box. Yuck. Oh well, good luck.

Pretty sure you need a fixed address for your ESTA application though!
Not exactly convenient but it would definitely be an adventure and at present, that seems to be the best option really. I'm not really afraid of getting my hands dirty or in this case be in a sweat box haha.

I have to apply for a tourist visa prior to departure as I'm using a Bulgarian passport. They normally give them out for 1-10 years so I shouldn't have a problem getting one and I don't really need an address for it. If I do, I'm sure I can book a hostel for a night and give that address.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I can't help but wonder, if you are camping in someone's back yard, what are you planning on doing as an alternative to using conventional plumbing?
Hosepipe bidet
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:35 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Why LA, out of interest? It's really pretty 'meh'.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't thought that far ahead but there is no need to over complicate. I'm sure there is plenty of rest rooms around, public showers, and laundry services. When I was in Dubai, I was showering at the public showers at Marina Beach which was about 10mins walk from where I couchsurfed. Also, I will probably spent time in hostels, I just cannot afford to be in one for 21 days as the cheapest is around 30£ a night haha.

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Why LA, out of interest? It's really pretty 'meh'.
I have no legitimate answer to that question to be honest. Visiting LA and ultimately settling there has always been a dream so I'm taking the first steps. I have very high expectations and am pretty sure I will be disappointed and come to wonder what all the hype is about but until I actually go, see and experience it for myself, it is the pitch-perfect dreamland they portray it as on TV.

Last edited by cbenson; Jan 1st 2017 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbenson
I haven't thought that far ahead but there is no need to over complicate. I'm sure there is plenty of rest rooms around, ......
Unfortunately a renouned expert on what you can, and cannot do in LA rest rooms, died last week.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunately a renouned expert on what you can, and cannot do in LA rest rooms, died last week.
Are you the clown of the forum? I pickup things real quick, you know.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:30 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't thought that far ahead but there is no need to over complicate. I'm sure there is plenty of rest rooms around, public showers, and laundry services. When I was in Dubai, I was showering at the public showers at Marina Beach which was about 10mins walk from where I couchsurfed. Also, I will probably spent time in hostels, I just cannot afford to be in one for 21 days as the cheapest is around 30£ a night haha.

I have no legitimate answer to that question to be honest. Visiting LA and ultimately settling there has always been a dream so I'm taking the first steps. I have very high expectations and am pretty sure I will be disappointed and come to wonder what all the hype is about but until I actually go, see and experience it for myself, it is the pitch-perfect dreamland they portray it as on TV.
Well, if the dreamland turns into a swamp sooner than expected and you want to experience a much nicer CA city, let me know - I'm in the SF area
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:31 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Are you the clown of the forum? I pickup things real quick, you know.
Pulaski is a legend in his own lunchtime
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Well, if the dreamland turns into a swamp sooner than expected and you want to experience a much nicer CA city, let me know - I'm in the SF area
I've planned to spend the bulk of my time in LA but a visit to SF and LV for a few days is definitely on my list. Thank you!
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:54 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I like Los Angeles in general, although I'm sort of relieved I don't live there. I venture up every so often to spend time with the extended family and get my big city buzz. I can see the attraction in wanting to visit and experience it in person.

I did a lot of backpacking around the same point in my life, through Europe, N Africa, Asia and N America. One thing I can tell you is that backpacking in LA is not going to be the same experience as Thailand etc. You will need some serious dough just to do anything here. A $30 per night hostel will put you in the middle of nowhere next to the barrio or hood. Public transit options are not as extensive, or common, and will cost you money. Grocery stores in the city are very expensive, too.

Do yourself a favour and save up some proper money before you come out, and bring a friend to split the bill with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.