Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calls to UK - unlimited plan - $40

Wikiposts

Calls to UK - unlimited plan - $40

Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calls to UK - unlimited plan - $40

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
I have just (within the last 30 mins) cancelled my Lingo account, and my friend is about to do the same

To start with the reception was great, but as time wore on, calls would just cut out, and the reception to local calls, were just awful, and no dial tone at all sometimes.

Anyway, called Lingo about a month ago to cancel, but they went through a very long process of pressing computer keys, with my husband, and said that the bad reception would no longer exist. But alas, I finally had enough, and called to have it cancelled and Time Warner are now taking over the line.

My phone bills used to be $300 approx per month, so Lingo was the thing for me, but the reception was diabolical, so everyone used to call me on my cell phone, so:

Phone bill = hardly anything
Cell bill= frikkin huge

Time Warner had better be great, or it is "Hello AT&T" again, and huge phone bills

PD1
If ever I get a bad reception with Lingo, I reboot the phone adapter and that usually solves it.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:21 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Taffyles
If ever I get a bad reception with Lingo, I reboot the phone adapter and that usually solves it.

Have been trying that for months, one day great, 20 days crap..

Can stand it anymore

PD1

Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Have been trying that for months, one day great, 20 days crap..

Can stand it anymore

PD1

Is the phone okay? I heard someone say once they solved the problem they were having by buying a new phone. I just hate to think of you going back to AT & T...rip off merchants.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:33 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Is the phone okay? I heard someone say once they solved the problem they were having by buying a new phone. I just hate to think of you going back to AT & T...rip off merchants.

I thought it was my phones, so I duly went out and spent $400 on new phones, and it still was terrible reception (how sick was I??)

So, wait til 3rd Sept and I shall give u an update, hopefully a positive one LOL

The thought of AT&T makes me sick too, but the only consolation there, is that I get air miles from them, and I also pay with my Continental card, so I get double miles..

Sad but true

PD1

Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just (within the last 30 mins) cancelled my Lingo account, and my friend is about to do the same

To start with the reception was great, but as time wore on, calls would just cut out, and the reception to local calls, were just awful, and no dial tone at all sometimes.

Anyway, called Lingo about a month ago to cancel, but they went through a very long process of pressing computer keys, with my husband, and said that the bad reception would no longer exist. But alas, I finally had enough, and called to have it cancelled and Time Warner are now taking over the line.

My phone bills used to be $300 approx per month, so Lingo was the thing for me, but the reception was diabolical, so everyone used to call me on my cell phone, so:

Phone bill = hardly anything
Cell bill= frikkin huge

Time Warner had better be great, or it is "Hello AT&T" again, and huge phone bills

PD1

only called the UK about 3 times but it was crystal clear everytime in fact my wife called her mom and she said have you got a new phone as the reception is better than it used to be.......local calls are very clear too but I did go upstairs and at the other end of the house to the modem the reception is not that good but I use the phone upstairs about once every 6 months so I will deal with it
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:05 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by psb182
only called the UK about 3 times but it was crystal clear everytime in fact my wife called her mom and she said have you got a new phone as the reception is better than it used to be.......local calls are very clear too but I did go upstairs and at the other end of the house to the modem the reception is not that good but I use the phone upstairs about once every 6 months so I will deal with it

Good luck to you

Maybe it is just in Houston it is poorly serviced

Who knows, but I have had enough of people shouting "WHAT" and "Buy a decent phone will ya"

PD1

Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a new phone for my Lingo phone I now have a 5.8 GHz, where as I used to have a 2.4. Apparently 2.4 phones dont work so well.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I bought a new phone for my Lingo phone I now have a 5.8 GHz, where as I used to have a 2.4. Apparently 2.4 phones dont work so well.

2.4 is the same frequency most Wi-Fi setups work on, and you can get horrible interference if you're near the box.
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you

Who knows, but I have had enough of people shouting "WHAT" and "Buy a decent phone will ya"

PD1
have you checked with your internet service provider to see if you internet connection is good?

go to www.dslreports.com and run a speed test to see if your speeds are in the right ball park
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by ladylisa

I also bought the 5.8's but to no avail

Hey ho, all I want is a clear line, but if Lingo get their stuff sorted out, then I will go back

never say never

Happy talking talking, happy talk (hopefully soon)

Nighty night, off to watch Roddick getting his arse kicked in the US Open

PD1

Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Is it Lingo or your broadband provider, though? VoIP needs a good signal. Doesn't need to be particularly fast but it needs to be consistent.

Use Cox here. The signal is either there and perfect, or not there at all! Seems to go down regularly for an hour or two every month or so. The Lingo is fine. Have occasionally experienced short breaks of maybe a second or two a few times on hour-long international calls, but it certainly ain't enough for me to consider dumping it.

Would recommend: ensure you download the latest ROM updates for your router and rebooting the whole system from scratch once a week. Cut the power to everything and then start from the modem inwards, giving each peripheral time to do its boot stuff before moving to the next.

Fan of Panasonic phones. Use 5.8 Gigarange equipment throughout house. Excellent product.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Got Lingo with cheap uniden 5.8 ghz phones, connection through Roadrunner 5mbps on Brighthouse cable, very solid internet connection. Excellent here, call quality cellphone+ . Occasional dodgy call, just hanging up and redialling sorts it out.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:46 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Is it actually unlimited or do you have a limit on the minutes you can use? (i saw mention of overages that was all) and do you have to specify the numbers you wish to call or is it all numbers in us&can and landlines in uk (not premium) very interested in this, is anyone still using it? i was going to switch to vonage until i saw this, as the uk is included here, any help gratefully recieved.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
Is it actually unlimited or do you have a limit on the minutes you can use? (i saw mention of overages that was all) and do you have to specify the numbers you wish to call or is it all numbers in us&can and landlines in uk (not premium) very interested in this, is anyone still using it? i was going to switch to vonage until i saw this, as the uk is included here, any help gratefully recieved.
USE LINGO: FREE UNLIMITED calls to Western EU as well as USA/Canada for $20 per month.

www.lingo.com
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:24 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
I just found out, although it maybe old news, that for $40 a month, bellsouth are offering unlimited calls to the UK.

Now that's a lot of calls as I only pay 5c to MCI and spend about $25 a month but if you are more than that or do a lot of business, I thought it was pretty cool.
Or you could go with Lingo - $20 for unlimited calls to US, Canada, and most of western Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.