Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Wikiposts

Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:34 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Big D
I wasnt aware it was down to UK mobile operators - I assume you mean that they charge the incoming carriers for the charge not the UK mobile owner?
YES.

Can you say big fat juicy hidden fees?
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:03 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt aware it was down to UK mobile operators - I assume you mean that they charge the incoming carriers for the charge not the UK mobile owner?
Yes and NOW the incoming carriers (Verizon, MCI, Skype, Cingular etc.,) ALL pass on this 25c surcharge to the me and you and when we call a UK Mobile from here

Funny, before they did this, people in the UK had "special" cards they used to call the USA to call back to UK mobiles. UK Landline to UK Mobile was so expensive, it was cheaper to call the US and be routed this way. No the surcharge is here, no one does this now...

Here's the cost of call a UK Mobile from WITHIN the UK - people don't realise this cost...

17. The charges for calls to your Vodafone mobile phone number from a fixed line or other mobile network are set by the other network operator. The standard charges made by BT for a call from a BT fixed line to a Vodafone mobile phone number are: Daytime (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm) 18.92p, Evening (Mon-Fri 6pm-8am) 7.29p and weekend (all day Saturday and Sunday) 3.98p.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, I called them (Lingo) and hey explained it was a "special" (not exactly the word they used, but something similar) number.

I had thought that 0845 was just a geographic area code.

Seems there should be some prerecorded message telling you that you are calling a premium rate number like 1-900 etc.

Its a local rate number - oops sorry this has already been discussed - sorry!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Yes and NOW the incoming carriers (Verizon, MCI, Skype, Cingular etc.,) ALL pass on this 25c surcharge to the me and you and when we call a UK Mobile from here

Funny, before they did this, people in the UK had "special" cards they used to call the USA to call back to UK mobiles. UK Landline to UK Mobile was so expensive, it was cheaper to call the US and be routed this way. No the surcharge is here, no one does this now...

Here's the cost of call a UK Mobile from WITHIN the UK - people don't realise this cost...

17. The charges for calls to your Vodafone mobile phone number from a fixed line or other mobile network are set by the other network operator. The standard charges made by BT for a call from a BT fixed line to a Vodafone mobile phone number are: Daytime (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm) 18.92p, Evening (Mon-Fri 6pm-8am) 7.29p and weekend (all day Saturday and Sunday) 3.98p.

Just a different way of doing it though - over here you pay for incoming calls so that the caller pays the same rate as a land line call. Mobile calls have always been more expensive and its been accepted (albeit they are cheaper now) - i would think its swings and roundabouts really?>
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:10 am

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

I have a similar situation. Other half is back in Italy until i can extract myself from here ( hopefully in 2 months ).

I've been using Skype to call her cell phone and it's still not cheap but cheaper than calling from home. I've also got "SkypeIn" which gives you a UK number which can be called, my friends in the UK have been using that to call me and it's much cheaper for them. I think it cost me $10 for 3 months; once you have the number it costs the UK caller the same as calling a London, Birmingham, etc number.
All seems to work well and not had any problems so far, call quality has been excellent.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The new skype toy, headset/software, it's a usb jobby size of a keyring, plug into a puter and it's all set, so don't need to be stuck with a puter, makes it easy to use at internet cafes' etc...pretty niffy....but anyway...why people ringing mobile phones international? way to expensive...
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

elaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
My expat wife is back in the UK while I'm left behind (alas!) in the U.S. I've been calling her mobile on a budget card (a crap US card, she calls it, with considerable justification), and the quality is hideous. I can get a great connection for about 19 cents US / min, but that's pricey. Can anyone suggest a card (preferably one you're using) that gives decent quality for calling a UK mobile and won't break the bank? Thanks.

--Russ
Def skype.. its great..or if you both are on broadband and have webcams you can always use aim or msn they both seem good for chat and video
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Get Skype IN. I THINK you can get a UK phone number and she can call your local UK number and then the phone will ring on your computer in the US. It will be a local call charge for her. Check out the website, www.skype.com. I started using Skype in December and I am very impressed. It really works well and it's cheap or free depending on whether both of you have Skype. Check it out!
Old Jan 26th 2006, 12:05 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhensley
go to www.reliablecom.com

great site...great rates, and you choose from so many cards. I use it all the time to call all over the world.
Thanks for the tip. I tried the Euro Mobile. It's a great card--clear calls, no lag, no hidden charges, and less than 10 cents per minute. MUCH better and cheaper than the crap card I was using.

Any recommendations on where I can get a decent pint in the U.S?

--Russ
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:44 am
Just Joined

eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough

Skype/Voipbuster etc etc - internet phone if you have broadband - this is about 2 or 3 cents a minute and good quality. If your wife has broadband too then the calls are free. You can use computer mic and speakers or get a USB phone!

Good luck with it!
Don't forget that to call a UK mobile costs nearer 20 Pence per minute on SkypeOut. Got caught like that myself...

To get round it I set up a SkypeIn number with a UK number and can then have that routed to my US Cellphone (when I'm not online) so it costs me max 2c per minute and UK people only pay the rate to a UK 020 number . Works a treat! You also get free answer phone .

Martin
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:32 am
Just Joined

PaulMayle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eepgmik
Don't forget that to call a UK mobile costs nearer 20 Pence per minute on SkypeOut. Got caught like that myself...

To get round it I set up a SkypeIn number with a UK number and can then have that routed to my US Cellphone (when I'm not online) so it costs me max 2c per minute and UK people only pay the rate to a UK 020 number . Works a treat! You also get free answer phone .

Martin
I was caught out when using a calling card to call an 0845 number in the UK from the US. These numbers are Lo-cost, meaning that within the UK they are considered a "local" call from anywhere in the UK. However it appears that my mobile seconds card considers it to be a mobile number, so instead of charging me 1.9c per minute, they charged 29c per minute!!