Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:04 am
  #1  
Stuff and Nonsense
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Russ: Vermont Jayne: was London, UK to VT
Posts: 358
Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

My expat wife is back in the UK while I'm left behind (alas!) in the U.S. I've been calling her mobile on a budget card (a crap US card, she calls it, with considerable justification), and the quality is hideous. I can get a great connection for about 19 cents US / min, but that's pricey. Can anyone suggest a card (preferably one you're using) that gives decent quality for calling a UK mobile and won't break the bank? Thanks.

--Russ
Russ&Jayne is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:33 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 1,834
Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
My expat wife is back in the UK while I'm left behind (alas!) in the U.S. I've been calling her mobile on a budget card (a crap US card, she calls it, with considerable justification), and the quality is hideous. I can get a great connection for about 19 cents US / min, but that's pricey. Can anyone suggest a card (preferably one you're using) that gives decent quality for calling a UK mobile and won't break the bank? Thanks.

--Russ

Skype/Voipbuster etc etc - internet phone if you have broadband - this is about 2 or 3 cents a minute and good quality. If your wife has broadband too then the calls are free. You can use computer mic and speakers or get a USB phone!

Good luck with it!
Big D is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:59 am
  #3  
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Skype all the way:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347534


I've been talking with my husband this evening - who was in his hotel room in Geneva. We were on Skype, using our laptops and we both have webcams. We were able to see each other and spoke for 70 minutes. It didn't cost a penny! Picture and sound quality is top-rate.

Yes, you can use Skype to phone mobiles and landlines in the UK and anywhere else around the world...although you do pay more to call mobiles - the rates are on the Skype website.
Englishmum is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:09 am
  #4  
~ Relocated to Texas ~
 
CaliforniaBride's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Location, Location.
Posts: 4,885
CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I've been talking with my husband this evening - who was in his hotel room in Geneva. We were on Skype, using our laptops and we both have webcams. We were able to see each other and spoke for 70 minutes.
You popped your cyber sex cherry a couple of weeks back. Are you still at it?


---
1w 4d 20:39 smoke-free, 176 cigs not smoked, $30.80 saved, 14:40 life saved
CaliforniaBride is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 2:15 am
  #5  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

If you're trying to call a UK mobile most options will be pricey-ish as far as i know, even skype, ec.
If your wife's mobile comes with monthly free minutes have her call you using 08452445445 - its a UK national rate number so her free minutes will cover it. If she has no free minutes calls will be charged at local rate. I used it for years before i came over here and the quality is usually pretty good.
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 2:50 am
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Get a webcam. then it don't matter about the sound quality you can still see her tits.
Rushman is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 2:59 am
  #7  
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
You popped your cyber sex cherry a couple of weeks back. Are you still at it?

---
1w 4d 20:39 smoke-free, 176 cigs not smoked, $30.80 saved, 14:40 life saved
Absolutely!

He flies back tomorrow night though.......
Englishmum is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:23 am
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
mhensley is a jewel in the roughmhensley is a jewel in the roughmhensley is a jewel in the roughmhensley is a jewel in the roughmhensley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

go to www.reliablecom.com

great site...great rates, and you choose from so many cards. I use it all the time to call all over the world.
mhensley is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:05 pm
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,146
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
My expat wife is back in the UK while I'm left behind (alas!) in the U.S. I've been calling her mobile on a budget card (a crap US card, she calls it, with considerable justification), and the quality is hideous. I can get a great connection for about 19 cents US / min, but that's pricey. Can anyone suggest a card (preferably one you're using) that gives decent quality for calling a UK mobile and won't break the bank? Thanks.

--Russ
I dial 10-10-987 before the 011-44.................... it costs 3 cents a min. plus an initial 30 cents for connection. Trying Googling 10-10-987 for their website.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:50 pm
  #10  
Pass me the Marmite..
 
franc11s's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 864
franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

A few years ago, the UK mobile phone carriers started charging for incoming calls from INTERNATIONAL LOCATIONS. The US mobile phone carriers pass that straight on to you.

Therefore, there is no CHEAP way to call a UK Cell phone from the USA. You will STILL GET THE SURCHARGE of about 20-25 cents passed onto you. The friggin UK Mobile operators also charge for incoming internation text messages so Verizon pass on 20c to me too. Bastxrds. Even SKYPE users pay 25c surcharge to call UK Mobiles - http://www.skype.com/products/skypeo...l?currency=USD


To call the UK (this subject is beat to death), almost everyone charges between 3c and 10c to call the UK. Even my home MCI is 5c a minute with AWESOME phone quality. You still then add the surcharge if you call UK Mobile phones.

MCI is good because, from the UK, you can call the USA using your same MCI calling card and call an 0800 number in the UK. It costs you 5c a minute still *AND* it gets billed straight to you home phone. (you get card free if you use MCI as long distance carrier at home)

TO ANSWER THE ORIGINAL OP question. Look into going MCI at home and programming both of your cell phones to enter in your international calling card details and pins and numbers. I do that and it works great. I think you will find, your wife from her cell phone whilst in another country, calling an 0800 (or whatever freephone number in whatever country) to MCI and connecting to you would pay LESS than the surchage of you calling her.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by franc11s; Jan 25th 2006 at 12:53 pm.
franc11s is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 2:28 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 1,834
Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by franc11s
A few years ago, the UK mobile phone carriers started charging for incoming calls from INTERNATIONAL LOCATIONS. The US mobile phone carriers pass that straight on to you.

Therefore, there is no CHEAP way to call a UK Cell phone from the USA. You will STILL GET THE SURCHARGE of about 20-25 cents passed onto you. The friggin UK Mobile operators also charge for incoming internation text messages so Verizon pass on 20c to me too. Bastxrds. Even SKYPE users pay 25c surcharge to call UK Mobiles - http://www.skype.com/products/skypeo...l?currency=USD


To call the UK (this subject is beat to death), almost everyone charges between 3c and 10c to call the UK. Even my home MCI is 5c a minute with AWESOME phone quality. You still then add the surcharge if you call UK Mobile phones.

MCI is good because, from the UK, you can call the USA using your same MCI calling card and call an 0800 number in the UK. It costs you 5c a minute still *AND* it gets billed straight to you home phone. (you get card free if you use MCI as long distance carrier at home)

TO ANSWER THE ORIGINAL OP question. Look into going MCI at home and programming both of your cell phones to enter in your international calling card details and pins and numbers. I do that and it works great. I think you will find, your wife from her cell phone whilst in another country, calling an 0800 (or whatever freephone number in whatever country) to MCI and connecting to you would pay LESS than the surchage of you calling her.

My 2 cents.
I wasnt aware it was down to UK mobile operators - I assume you mean that they charge the incoming carriers for the charge not the UK mobile owner?
Big D is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:22 pm
  #12  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
If you're trying to call a UK mobile most options will be pricey-ish as far as i know, even skype, ec.
If your wife's mobile comes with monthly free minutes have her call you using 08452445445 - its a UK national rate number so her free minutes will cover it. If she has no free minutes calls will be charged at local rate. I used it for years before i came over here and the quality is usually pretty good.
I have Lingo and called a 0845 number once and was charged the earth for some reason ....

Also, I think Lingo is pretty expensive for UK mobile numbers for reasons just describe.
dunroving is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:25 pm
  #13  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have Lingo and called a 0845 number once and was charged the earth for some reason ....

Also, I think Lingo is pretty expensive for UK mobile numbers for reasons just describe.
You shouldn't have been - its a lo-call service - ie calls are charged at local rate which is 1p a minute off-peak.
Maybe lingo were sticking the arm in
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:29 pm
  #14  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
You shouldn't have been - its a lo-call service - ie calls are charged at local rate which is 1p a minute off-peak.
Maybe lingo were sticking the arm in
Yes, I called them (Lingo) and hey explained it was a "special" (not exactly the word they used, but something similar) number.

I had thought that 0845 was just a geographic area code.

Seems there should be some prerecorded message telling you that you are calling a premium rate number like 1-900 etc.
dunroving is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:31 pm
  #15  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling from US to UK mobile--any suggestions?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, I called them (Lingo) and hey explained it was a "special" (not exactly the word they used, but something similar) number.

I had thought that 0845 was just a geographic area code.

Seems there should be some prerecorded message telling you that you are calling a premium rate number like 1-900 etc.
But that's what i mean - its not premium rate.
Sounds like lingo think it is though.
The 0845 service is often set up by businesses to reduce the cost of calling the number for (potential) customers.
BigDavyG is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.