Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calling Cards

Calling Cards

Old Oct 29th 2003, 4:13 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, well calling my husband is too late for me too since I'm already with him, but I would be curious about this to call my parents and g'ma. I only call them once every weekend and they call me back right away. All the ones I have looked at seem to expire within 60 days, have $0.75 monthly fee, etc, which wouldn't be very useful to me as I would use my card so little. Anyone have any advice for a phone card that I can keep for a long time that won't charge me a higher monthly fee than I would use in minutes that month?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:14 am
Just Joined

garvey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling Cards

Originally posted by krissyv
Hi,

My fiance are spending an absolute fortune on phone cards at the moment - does any one know any good web-sites selling phone cards?

calling cards seem to be the best idea i have heard
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling Cards

Originally posted by garvey
calling cards seem to be the best idea i have heard
No, a prepay account like www.bigzoo.com is better. Dial up on a freefone or local number and pay 3.9¢ or 2.9¢ respectively. Anytime the account runs low you can top it up from your credit or debit card - much more attractive an idea than having to find a 24hr drug store at midnight on a Saturday night so that you can call your dearest and not-so nearest.

And in case you wonder, or have heard bad things about the line quality, the line to the UK is as clear as a bell. The line was so clear that my mother once thought that I was phoning from the UK!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 31st 2003 at 2:26 am.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have got to give another big-up to bigzoo. We moved to LA 7 weeks ago and have spent about $20 with them. It works out at 2.4 cents a minute to call the UK (any time of day) which makes it cheaper than some of the calls I made in the UK. In fact, I called someone on their UK mobile and it was cheaper than UK landline to mobile!

Very easy to use. Great website. It rocks!

Never had any problem with quality at all.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 6:00 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

For people who do a lot of heavy-duty calling from the US to the UK (or France, Italy, Germany, Spain...), the best card I've found is called MiCasa. There's a 30 cent charge for each call, after which the charge is 1/2 cent per minute, so if you talk for more than 15 minutes, it's cheaper than BigZoo. And if you talk for more than an hour at a stretch, it is REALLY cheap. For example, a two-hour call costs about a dollar, as compared to $5.00 or more for BigZoo.

One place to get the card:

http://www.therichcom.com/carddetails.asp?Brand=174