Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Calling all intellectuals.... Cos I aint.

Calling all intellectuals.... Cos I aint.

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Calling all intellectuals.... Cos I aint.

Originally Posted by gardnma
What?
Monty Python's most famous song, that.......

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day...."

See my message above - its great!
Old Sep 24th 2006, 12:56 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
This may sound like a really ignorant question but I haven't met too many of you lot.
Are Canadians aware of the "Lumberjack Song". Do they hate it?
LOL......... FFS.......... It is a great song though.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 2:04 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
LOL......... FFS.......... It is a great song though.
LOL did you see Michael Palin in the Himalayas singing it to a Buddhist monk?
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:17 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a question I have been asking Americans for the last 5 years.

What exactly is a dry sense of humour???????

If I had a Nickel for every time an American person told me "you English have a dry sense of humour", and if I had a Dime for every blank look I've had when I asked them "what exactly does that mean", I could buy myself lots of shiny things.

I think it is just something Americans grow up believing without ever questioning it, it's true! the next time someone states that you have a dry sense of humour, ask them what they mean, you will soon see they have no idea. I have asked the dumbest of rednecks with a mullet to the smartest Engineers I know and none of them can tell me what they mean.

I know there is a lot more irony in our humour, is that what they are referring to??
Just think of your namesake on Only fools & Horses for a pretty good idea of dry humour.

Albert: Is It Still Raining Out Rodney?
Rodney: No, I Took A Shortcut Through A Car Wash

or

Albert: Is That The Radio?
Rodney: No, Elton John's Just Popped Over, He's Rehersing In The Kitchen

It's basically a joke or humourous reference that isn't acted out like a joke. Hence why you wont see it very much in many US sitcoms.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:17 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
LOL..........No, I missed that one, I did watch him this morning in a Fish Called Wanda though.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
This is the same individual who had a gnome in his front garden (with a machine gun).
Old Sep 24th 2006, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

A joke that requires some intelligence to understand!!
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:16 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

A friend called for a doctor's appointment, the receptionist said there was nothing till Wednesday of next week. He told her that if that was the earliest he'd have to take it. She booked it and asked what the problem was. He said that he thought he'd severed an artery, and hung up. That was dry.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

American: Couldn't find the freeway.
Had to take a little back street called the M5.

Basil Fawlty : Well I'm sorry it wasn't wide enough for you.
A lot of the English cars have steering wheels.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:15 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Calling all intellectuals.... Cos I aint.

Why do most Americans seem to say "just kidding" whenever they have said something funny/a joke?
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Why do most Americans seem to say "just kidding" whenever they have said something funny/a joke?
According to my wife (who is a septic).
Quote: "I do it with people if I don't know their sense of humour, so they wont be offended"

My input: this is due to the free access to guns and ammunition

The wife says: "just kidding"
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:17 pm
Northern git

Wiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to all

Aye, that's what I'd classify as dry humour.

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Straight-faced, deadpan, subtle, mildly sarcastic/ironic. See Jack Dee.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:08 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that would happen in the USA.

How many Steve Irwin jokes have you heard out here? I bet they are flying round the UK.
'snot true.

When The Challenger blew up it was moments before the Christa McAuliffe joke was flying around the internet:

Q: What were Christa McAuliffe's last words before the Challanger disaster?
A: What does this red button do?

Despite his conservation activities, celebrity, huge TV success and his cute wife, Steve Irwin was a stupid bastard who believed his own publicity and who took way too many risks with wild animals. It had to be only a matter of time before he made his first, and last, fatal mistake.

It takes hardly a moment to Google the following quips:

How many croc hunters does it take to capture a sting-ray?
Apparently more than one.

Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo is now serving Sting Ray...
It's Expensive, but Steve reckons "It's to die for!"

In a recent interview Steve Irwin was asked what his favourite TV
programme was. "Thunderbirds", he replied, "But Stingray will always
have a special place in my heart."

Steve Irwin's funeral music has been chosen by his wife - Crocodile
rock, sung by Sting.

Steve should have used more sun block to keep out the harmful rays.

Maybe Steve Irwin should have been wearing his Ray Bans!

How did Steve Irwin die?
He had a heart attacked...

Did you hear that Steve Irwin died like he lived?
With animals in his heart.

Last edited by TRPardoe; Sep 25th 2006 at 11:11 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:12 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever come across an American Pun ?

Here is a question I have been asking Americans for the last 5 years.

What exactly is a dry sense of humour???????

If I had a Nickel for every time an American person told me "you English have a dry sense of humour", and if I had a Dime for every blank look I've had when I asked them "what exactly does that mean", I could buy myself lots of shiny things.

I think it is just something Americans grow up believing without ever questioning it, it's true! the next time someone states that you have a dry sense of humour, ask them what they mean, you will soon see they have no idea. I have asked the dumbest of rednecks with a mullet to the smartest Engineers I know and none of them can tell me what they mean.

I know there is a lot more irony in our humour, is that what they are referring to??
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:33 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

[QUOTE=TRPardoe]'snot true.

When The Challenger blew up it was moments before the Christa McAuliffe joke was flying around the internet:[QUOTE]

Ok... So if we connect to a piece of electronic equipment that another 700 million people are connected to world wide (the internet), 300 million of which are connected at any one time, you could probably find anything let alone a Steve Irwin joke......... But how many people have you seen at work, or in bars or restaurants falling about laughing at them, now think back to England.... totally different story.

You missed my point................... just curious, can you be sure the jokes you found on-line were written by Americans.

Anyway........ using the internet is cheating

Last edited by Rodney you plonker; Sep 26th 2006 at 12:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.