Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California for work

California for work

Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California for work

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Did you read what Bob wrote? It takes years to get an EB1 through.
Originally Posted by elop
Personally the EB1 isn't for me - sounds like a full time job just to go through the process, but some people do it.
read the link that I posted about the EB1, you apply for it yourself, that's why its a long/difficult process.
RE EB1A, yes it's hard work. But you work hard to get good rewards. You don't get a GC from day 1 of arrival in the US just by sitting back and watching the scenery. Timewise, it will have been about 23 months from engaging the attorney to setting foot in the US for us, but our timeline was stretched out somewhat. Realistically it can be done within a year.

RE the poster who accepted a job - until (s)he comes back with more information, it's pure speculation as to the circumstances surrounding the application.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:13 am
Just Joined

captainpicard is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't realise my comment would kick off such a big debate about my visa. Everything is in order - thanks for the concern.
Once I am settled into my new role I will come back here and share my experiences.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nathanbain
I didn't realise my comment would kick off such a big debate about my visa. Everything is in order - thanks for the concern.
Once I am settled into my new role I will come back here and share my experiences.
Wouldn't harm to at least share what type of visa you have, to stem the speculation!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to keep secrets - fine, that's your choice... but other peoples' experiences are always helpful to someone else. As you noted in your first post "I am in a very similar position."

Ian
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

captainpicard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Wouldn't harm to at least share what type of visa you have, to stem the speculation!
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you want to keep secrets - fine, that's your choice... but other peoples' experiences are always helpful to someone else. As you noted in your first post "I am in a very similar position."

Ian
I promise I will share my experiences - as soon as I have got my foot through the door of my new employer.

Thanks..
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

elop is an unknown quantity at this point

I promise I will share my experiences - as soon as I have got my foot through the door of my new employer.

Thanks..
Looking forward to it, best of luck

Going back to the subject of salaries...

I still haven't been given an official offer or any details of exact benefits etc, but been told that an offer is inevitable. I've now been asked to give a indication of how much I except - I hate these questions....

Figures aside, I need to understand what people mean when they say Salary (in the US)

To me, it means basic salary before tax deductions - and typically I wouldn't add any benefits to the basic salary to get a package salary - I see these as separate. So a salary in the UK is self explanatory as its static.

From what I've seen in the US everything is added and calculated, including personal time off, all sorts of different taxes and insurances, healthcare etc.

So when someone quotes a salary in the US, surely that figure is meaningless without any context. Context being list of benefits, details of benifits, number of dependants, size of family, tax, nature of job (ie ability to take time off) etc. etc...

I remember someone earlier in this thread mentioning that they could live quite comfortably on $130k - what is the context in that case?
Before or after tax
Before or after benefits

I can understand the healthcare, as many people have already mentioned before it is a large cost - but adding PTO to a salary seems strange. You might as well add the cost of the (free) coffee you get in the kitchenette, or being able to use the company phone to make a personal phone call.

Is there a clever reason why its more complicated?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:59 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to it, best of luck

Going back to the subject of salaries...

I still haven't been given an official offer or any details of exact benefits etc, but been told that an offer is inevitable. I've now been asked to give a indication of how much I except - I hate these questions....

Figures aside, I need to understand what people mean when they say Salary (in the US)

To me, it means basic salary before tax deductions - and typically I wouldn't add any benefits to the basic salary to get a package salary - I see these as separate. So a salary in the UK is self explanatory as its static.

From what I've seen in the US everything is added and calculated, including personal time off, all sorts of different taxes and insurances, healthcare etc.

So when someone quotes a salary in the US, surely that figure is meaningless without any context. Context being list of benefits, details of benifits, number of dependants, size of family, tax, nature of job (ie ability to take time off) etc. etc...

I remember someone earlier in this thread mentioning that they could live quite comfortably on $130k - what is the context in that case?
Before or after tax
Before or after benefits

I can understand the healthcare, as many people have already mentioned before it is a large cost - but adding PTO to a salary seems strange. You might as well add the cost of the (free) coffee you get in the kitchenette, or being able to use the company phone to make a personal phone call.

Well, I said that I live on approx $130k. That's my pre-tax annual salary, not my package. On top of that I get holiday (I still get my British holiday as a condition of transferring from the UK), my medical is paid (I contribute for my family) and then I get bonuses and I also have a company car. I run the American arm of a British company so my salary and benefits are structured as they would be in the UK. I also had a relocation package (shippping, accomodation, setup money and car) to help me get on my feet when I first moved over. Don't underestimate the cost of these things. It's also quite hard looking for good cars and places to stay when you come over (it can be very time consuming - so just a heads up).

I take no deductions from my salary (i.e I overpay on my withholding tax). I don't want a tax bill at the end of the year and I would rather overpay and then get a cheque at the end of the year than be writing a cheque to the IRS. So, if you took the correct deductions you'd have more money each month. I just like having an additional sum of money once a year back from the IRS.

I pushed for my benefits first (medical etc) then negotiated the salary so I was clear where I was at, but it was presented to me as a package.

Hope that helps a little. I'd state what you expect to be included in the package.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

elop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bink
Well, I said that I live on approx $130k. That's my pre-tax annual salary, not my package. On top of that I get holiday (I still get my British holiday as a condition of transferring from the UK), my medical is paid (I contribute for my family) and then I get bonuses and I also have a company car. I run the American arm of a British company so my salary and benefits are structured as they would be in the UK. I also had a relocation package (shippping, accomodation, setup money and car) to help me get on my feet when I first moved over. Don't underestimate the cost of these things. It's also quite hard looking for good cars and places to stay when you come over (it can be very time consuming - so just a heads up).

I take no deductions from my salary (i.e I overpay on my withholding tax). I don't want a tax bill at the end of the year and I would rather overpay and then get a cheque at the end of the year than be writing a cheque to the IRS. So, if you took the correct deductions you'd have more money each month. I just like having an additional sum of money once a year back from the IRS.

I pushed for my benefits first (medical etc) then negotiated the salary so I was clear where I was at, but it was presented to me as a package.

Hope that helps a little. I'd state what you expect to be included in the package.
OK, so your situation is slightly different - when non-expats quote a figure, I assume you wouldn't expect the context to be the same as yours?

Just trying to understand what figures mean when I see them quoted without context and build up an understanding.

I've already replied back with ~$125k but mentioned that as I don't know exactly what the extras are this figure is as good as an arbitrary number.

I also get a relocation package of some sort, unlikely to include the car though as there is free transport for both business and leisure, but we'll see

Personally, apart from the health cover, I'd rather push the base package - although I'm told bonus/stock etc can be interesting. I'll start making a list.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so your situation is slightly different - when non-expats quote a figure, I assume you wouldn't expect the context to be the same as yours?

Just trying to understand what figures mean when I see them quoted without context and build up an understanding.

I've already replied back with ~$125k but mentioned that as I don't know exactly what the extras are this figure is as good as an arbitrary number.

I also get a relocation package of some sort, unlikely to include the car though as there is free transport for both business and leisure, but we'll see

Personally, apart from the health cover, I'd rather push the base package - although I'm told bonus/stock etc can be interesting. I'll start making a list.
I think there may be an entry in the Wiki about relo packages...if not try the search engine for this forum. There's loads of info in the old threads about what to ask for.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't give a figure if you can as it is all down here...just ask for a "salary that is fits the market for your experience"...you can even show what other H1B people have been paid by title and location if you google those lists as they are public info.

And you're right, salary is just base salary before tax, how much in your pocket depends on all kinds of factors, but yes, context to package is what is important.

It can be little things like does your holiday allowance include paid time off, public holidays and sick leave or not, does it roll over, how much can you take off in one sitting.

It's all silly stuff that doesn't affect how much you take home but does affect how useful the benefits are to you personally.

Before or after tax
Before or after benefits

Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think there may be an entry in the Wiki about relo packages...if not try the search engine for this forum. There's loads of info in the old threads about what to ask for.
Aye, it's tucked away a bit and could do with other folks adding any extra info to it, but it's a good starting point.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compan...on_Packages_US
Old Feb 25th 2012, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

When they offer you a salary that is the GROSS figure.

From that figure you will pay federal taxes, California taxes, payroll taxes etc.

Also from that figure, IF your company doesn't cover medical insurance in full, you will pay (deducted directly from your salary) your insurance premiums.

There are also other things you might want to, or might have to, deduct (retirement plans, life insurance etc.).

When you start with the company they will give you a benefits booklet which will show your options, and you choose from there what best suits your circumstances. Let me stress, you cannot negotiate on health insurance. The company will have several plans at several levels of coverage and prices, and these are the only options available (except for no coverage, of course). What percentage of the coverage they pay, or what the prices are, are set on a company-wide level and are set in stone.

PTO is probably fixed as well, e.g. all level 4 engineers will have 20 days, level 3 15 days, or perhaps they'll do it by how long you've been with the company. Again, this is set at the company-wide level.

If they're offering you an H1-B they most likely are already keen to have you, so pitch a slightly higher number than you think you can get, because they're unlikely to then say no.

glassdoor.com might be a place to look for some insight into what other companies (or even your own company) offer for various grades.

By the way, if applicable, one thing that is often more negotiable than salary is stock options.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
When they offer you a salary that is the GROSS figure.

From that figure you will pay federal taxes, California taxes, payroll taxes etc.

Also from that figure, IF your company doesn't cover medical insurance in full, you will pay (deducted directly from your salary) your insurance premiums.

There are also other things you might want to, or might have to, deduct (retirement plans, life insurance etc.).

When you start with the company they will give you a benefits booklet which will show your options, and you choose from there what best suits your circumstances. Let me stress, you cannot negotiate on health insurance. The company will have several plans at several levels of coverage and prices, and these are the only options available (except for no coverage, of course). What percentage of the coverage they pay, or what the prices are, are set on a
company-wide level and are set in stone.

PTO is probably fixed as well, e.g. all level 4 engineers will have 20 days, level 3 15 days, or perhaps they'll do it by how long you've been with the company. Again, this is set at the company-wide level.

If they're offering you an H1-B they most likely are already keen to have you, so pitch a slightly higher number than you think you can get, because they're unlikely to then say no.

glassdoor.com might be a place to look for some insight into what other companies (or even your own company) offer for various grades.

By the way, if applicable, one thing that is often more negotiable than salary is stock options.
I disagree with your opinion about medical and vacation time etc being set in stone.
I know several people, ourselves included who were on H1B and friends who are on L1s who have negotiated things such as keeping UK vacation allowance and having the company agree to pay the deductible on health insurance as if they were at home the NHS would cover everything.
Maybe not typical but something someone negotiating a package should keep in mind.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Well kind of, but the argument that you would pay nothing on the NHS would be included in a negotiation of salary, not benefits. Your options for medical insurance are fixed, but say you know/guess the plan would cost you $500 a month, you could argue that your salary be $500x12=$6000 more to compensate. It's worth a try!

Not sure about vacations, they could be falling foul of some regulations there if they treat one person differently to their peers. Probably depends on the size of the company and the discretion of the managers.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
Well kind of, but the argument that you would pay nothing on the NHS would be included in a negotiation of salary, not benefits.
The NHS is free at point of use (or abuse, depending on your view). It costs tax payers a lot of money!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.