Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Speeding ticket from 2013.

California Speeding ticket from 2013.

Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default California Speeding ticket from 2013.

California Speeding ticket from 2013. When I was technically resident of Alberta and AB DL
(in fact I was probably a Resident Nowhere spent more Time In Mexico and USA than I did in Canada.)

For 5 Months I was Bumming around the USA Living out and sleeping in my car. best time of my life.

Between San Francisco and Portland, I got a speeding ticket . Which I never paid as I forgot about it as I never got my Mail as the Address on licence was General Delivery and did not go back to Alberta.
I phoned up 8 Months later to find out about it and fine amount was $600, which I did not have at that time and left it.

I now have British Licence would they put two and two together if I drove in USA again. If I got another Canadian licence from Yukon or BC would it match up or kept my British Licence.

I was doing 85 in 70 Zone but everyone around me was doing more than that.
So I got done either because I was at the back of the pack. or because I had Canadian Plates.
I am not happy about not paying it but I could not pay what I did not have.

Last edited by loss; Mar 24th 2015 at 10:37 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Speeding ticket from 2013.

It will hang over you every time you visit the US, and especially California until you pay it. If you anticipate coming to America bite the bullet and pay up.

By now the fine will have long since crystallized whereas if you'd dealt with it at the time you might have been able to negotiate some lesser or alternative penalty.

BTW the expression is "put two and two together"
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't the case escalate when they're are unpaid fines like that? The OP could have a warrant out, couldn't he?

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Doesn't the case escalate when they're are unpaid fines like that? The OP could have a warrant out, couldn't he?

Rene

It would be a bench warrant I think.

The question is If Travel to USA on a British passport instead of Canadian one Use my British DL I think I would have no trouble If I did not go to California.
and even if I did police officer has to pull me over and check my licence details.
With UK Address and My Middle name being on it which was not on my AB DL it is unlikely to Match but is it worth the risk.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

California won't forget about it. My ex husband got a speeding ticket in Colorado on vacation visiting family when he was resident in the UK. About four months into living here I had to bail him out of jail to the tune of $1k as the fine hadn't been paid in two years. Yes there was a warrant out. He was also apparently driving on a suspended license as they threw that one in for non payment of fines. I forget how much he had to pay in fines and to get his license back now, but it was a lot.

Obviously we are talking about different states and the offense was on an in state license, so easier to pursue than someone with a foreign license.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss
.... it is unlikely to match but is it worth the risk?
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that you were going over 85 miles per hour but the police officer only wrote you up for 85 since 1-15 miles over the speed limit in California cost about $200-$250 and goes up at 16 miles over. It's probably now $600 due to a failure to appear warrant being issued and late fees.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect that you were going over 85 miles per hour but the police officer only wrote you up for 85 since 1-15 miles over the speed limit in California cost about $200-$250 and goes up at 16 miles over. It's probably now $600 due to a failure to appear warrant being issued and late fees.
If a "2013 ticket" was $600 "eight months later", that must have been a minimum seven months ago, and as much as nineteen months ago. I would bet the ticket is already at least $800 and could be $1,000.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 4:03 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss
California Speeding ticket from 2013. When I was technically resident of Alberta and AB DL
(in fact I was probably a Resident Nowhere spent more Time In Mexico and USA than I did in Canada.)

For 5 Months I was Bumming around the USA Living out and sleeping in my car. best time of my life.

Between San Francisco and Portland, I got a speeding ticket . Which I never paid as I forgot about it as I never got my Mail as the Address on licence was General Delivery and did not go back to Alberta.
I phoned up 8 Months later to find out about it and fine amount was $600, which I did not have at that time and left it.

I now have British Licence would they put two and two together if I drove in USA again. If I got another Canadian licence from Yukon or BC would it match up or kept my British Licence.

I was doing 85 in 70 Zone but everyone around me was doing more than that.
So I got done either because I was at the back of the pack. or because I had Canadian Plates.
I am not happy about not paying it but I could not pay what I did not have.
I could be wrong but you would likely be OK as long as you stay out of California. Your ticket is not a Federal offence, just pertains to California.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:54 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of practice, those tickets can be taken care of at any time. Contacting the court and get bench warrant withdrawn and see what can be done. Perhaps even traffic school.

I was pulled over in Broome County NY last summer and took care of it long distance. [Used cruise control except to pass a truck going uphill and that is when the radar got me. ] Did AARP traffic school and ticket was dismissed.