Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Dreamin'

Wikiposts

California Dreamin'

Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Dreamin'

Originally Posted by Zez
If you search some of the other recent threads I've posted a bit. In short we moved to Foster city with a 7 yr old and a 5 yr old 9 weeks ago. What follows is a brain dump.

Schooling....v different, and there is no doubt they will be behind on maths if I don't do something. But literacy teaching is going well and the constant grading is helping my son be less slap dash!! I'm a teaching assistant in the UK and volunteering here 4 days a week to keep my hand in. It's honestly not been as bad as I thought.

Medical....we needed to get Hep B to get the kids into school. We also got UK doctors to write a note saying they had had varicella on the basis or pox photos. The school accepted this.

House prices..,.urg! Need I say more!!

Credit rating. ...our tips were that we went to VW directly for a car, no deposit required for Tmobile with hubby's visa type, AT&T waived deposit because we signed up to autopay, as did pacific gas and electric. Voila, minimal deposits paid and beginning to establish credit. It wasn't as bad as I feared.

Car insurance- we found Geico helpful and reasonably priced.

What to take- we took everything bar electronics (except for the nespresso , my guitar amp and sewing machine) which we run on a monster of a transformer

Shopping....trader Joes! Not as junk filled as Safeway, nor as expensive as whole foods. Costco also to keep costs down

Housework....you'll love the washing machine and tumble driers! A week's washing in 2 loads!

Hope some of this helps!
Missing home...if you haven't already, make sure everyone has an apple device for FaceTime. Also, on Tmobile for $10 extra a month I get free calls to UK landlines and free texts to UK mobiles. Has made keeping in touch really easy and I don't miss them as much as I thought.

Friends- it's actually been v easy to make friends. We've been here 9 weeks and I'm honestly not short of friends.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply!

Your comments on the schooling are reassuring - did you put your children in the right year for their age or level of education? Also, on the vaccinations - did you get the Hep B in the UK or US?

The credit issue sounds better than I'd feared. Do you mind me asking the visa type that helped with the deposit?

Trader Joes looks good from their website, and there's one in the town we're planning on trying to move to (Pleasanton). I LOVE Whole Foods, but there's not one in Pleasanton. We got a Costco very close by earlier this year, and I'm finding it great for certain things, so will definitely be joining in the US (I'm assuming our UK membership won't translate). From what I've found online, there doesn't seem to be any comprehensive grocery delivery service available (we currently use Ocado) - is that right?

Most of our family and close friends have at least one Apple device, so we're set for FaceTime. I also found a great iPad app, called UsTyme, which combines video calling with playing games/reading books, which I thought would be great for the kids and their grandparents.

That's great (and very encouraging to me) that you're settling in so well this quickly - hope you enjoy your first Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:49 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

I got the hep B in the UK.

I wanted to put the kids up a grade, but school was totally inflexible. Frankly for my son 2nd grade maths is too easy, but the sheer pace of the written work may have been too much for him in 3rd grade. For my kindergarten age daughter she is at the top of the class but there are 2 others who can read. I think in short they fall right between the grades ability wise. Socially my son found it v hard so I'm glad at least the work was easy. We'll just have to do some at home.

Hubby is on an E2 visa but Tmobile do accept others. .

No grocery delivery and I find I need to go to more than one shop to get everything I want....v annoying!

Will check out USTyme....the kids would love that. Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
I got the hep B in the UK.

I wanted to put the kids up a grade, but school was totally inflexible. Frankly for my son 2nd grade maths is too easy, but the sheer pace of the written work may have been too much for him in 3rd grade. For my kindergarten age daughter she is at the top of the class but there are 2 others who can read. I think in short they fall right between the grades ability wise. Socially my son found it v hard so I'm glad at least the work was easy. We'll just have to do some at home.

Hubby is on an E2 visa but Tmobile do accept others. .

No grocery delivery and I find I need to go to more than one shop to get everything I want....v annoying!

Will check out USTyme....the kids would love that. Thanks
Thanks for getting back to me again. I'll speak to my GP about the hep B. Sounds like our children are very similar ages - our son is currently in year 2 (in a class mixed with year 3); our daughter is in reception. I think I'll plan to keep them in their age appropriate year regardless - I don't want them struggling with school work whilst trying to settle, and like you, I can always help with extra maths.

Not looking forward to going back to in store grocery shopping - have been with Ocado for years!! Oh well, all part of the adventure, I guess!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I moved when my oldest was 6 so she'd done 2 years of UK school and was top of her class there.

As she's a June birthday we kept her with her age group and relied on the school to give her more advanced work as needed.

It has worked pretty well - she's now 12. Socially she's definitely better with her age group. Academically - she scored 98% in her standardised maths tests. She is in the talents program for language and maths so she gets challenged there, and she also goes to clubs after school for maths and robotics (where she's learning to program in C).

Also I would echo much of what Zez said above - Trader Joes for food, laundry is much easier, Geico for car insurance (they have never quibbled about paying out a mix of small and large claims), Facetime for face to face chats.

Our landline is through Vonage and we pay $5 extra a month for a UK number that my family uses to call us here at no charge to them.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:33 am
Just Joined

sav2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - I am still UK based but looked at grocery delivery a few weeks ago as part of my immigration preparation. I am not sure if they are in your area (I was looking in the OC), but I am pretty sure Vons and Target both deliver. Might not be a full range of products though but certainly worth a look.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kins
I moved when my oldest was 6 so she'd done 2 years of UK school and was top of her class there.

As she's a June birthday we kept her with her age group and relied on the school to give her more advanced work as needed.

It has worked pretty well - she's now 12. Socially she's definitely better with her age group. Academically - she scored 98% in her standardised maths tests. She is in the talents program for language and maths so she gets challenged there, and she also goes to clubs after school for maths and robotics (where she's learning to program in C).

Also I would echo much of what Zez said above - Trader Joes for food, laundry is much easier, Geico for car insurance (they have never quibbled about paying out a mix of small and large claims), Facetime for face to face chats.

Our landline is through Vonage and we pay $5 extra a month for a UK number that my family uses to call us here at no charge to them.
Thank you - that's reassuring. Our son is also a June birthday and certainly was towards the top of his class (not so much now he's in a mixed year class with older children!), so it's nice to hear that your daughter is doing well.

Will check out Vonage, thanks!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sav2001
Hello - I am still UK based but looked at grocery delivery a few weeks ago as part of my immigration preparation. I am not sure if they are in your area (I was looking in the OC), but I am pretty sure Vons and Target both deliver. Might not be a full range of products though but certainly worth a look.
Thanks you - I hadn't heard of Vons, but looks like they do deliver (although you have to sign up to check their product range). Not so sure about Target - there's certainly a store with fresh food, but no mention of home delivery.

However, initially I may well venture out into the real world for groceries - it might give me a social event!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:10 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Toby was due to go into Y3 and was in top set for everything, top reader in his class and scored 3c across the board at the end of y2. I think 3rd grade maths would have been right, but I think he'd have struggled in 3rd grade. They are much more strict on reading comprehension (for eg if they get the answer correct but forget the full stop its zero marks) and there is a lot more independent work with less teacher input. If he does work but his handwriting isn't up to scratch the teacher will deduct marks or simply remove it and he has to do it again. Sounds harsh but its worked for him and he's now much less "that'll do" and slap dash. I'm sure he would have coped in 3rd but probably wouldn't have been self disciplined or driven enough to do well and would not have been at the top of the class. As it stands he's consistently scoring above grade level which has helped his confidence as he settles in.

There is v little maths in Kindergarden. reading/phonics is too easy for Harriet, but the expectations on handwriting (correct size, on line etc) are much higher than she is used to so she is still learning.

Completely different emphasis...more rote learning and higher expectations. So 70% was acceptable in the UK for a maths task which was pitched quite high and they were practicing a new skill. Here less than 95% is no good, so more emphasis on getting the basics solid before they move on which I can see will have its own advantages in the future.

Waffle over, sorry!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:11 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Ooh, and check the vaccination requirements on your preferred school district website just in case they aren't standard
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I wish they did have more rote learning. My kids are 17 and 20 and don't know their times tables or French verb conjugations, which I can still remember from school.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to the Bay Area in July with our 6yr old twins (they'll be 7 in January). They had completed Year 1 in the UK and we put them in 1st Grade here. Academically they should be in 2nd Grade but we didn't want to put them in a situation where the oldest kid is 15 months older than them! At the start of term, both boys were tested on reading and were graded at 3rd grade level (that was the highest the teacher was allowed to test for). They are also at the top of their class for maths and spelling and writing. However, it'll be interesting to see where they fall once the other kids catch up. We are lucky insofar as their teachers recognise their abilities and give them more challenging work. My biggest issue with school is that it finishes at 2.30 every day and 12.15 on a Wednesday!

But they've settled in really well to their new surroundings and both they and I have made some really nice friends though school already including a few Brit mums and a bunch of New Yorkers (so sarcasm isn't a problem!)- almost everyone here is a "transplant" so we're all in the same boat so to speak!

Re vaccinations - we did all the boys' vaccinations in the UK - they were up to date with everything and had already had the chicken pox vaccine a few years back, so we did the Hep A/B and the TB Test. (My hubby and I also did our Hep A/B in the UK but did our TB Test in the US as part of our Green Card medicals).

Re shopping we buy our fish and meat, veg, fruit and deli type stuff at WholeFoods or Trader Joes. Regular branded stuff at Safeway (we have a nice one near us). I go every 1-2 days but to be honest, it gives me something to do!

I speak to my friends and family all the time - Viber, facetime, what's app, Skype and Google Voice - all from my cell phone so whilst it's obviously not the same as hanging out with them face to face, it makes life much easier.

Cars - we bought one car outright and the other we bought on finance once we arrived via the VW expat programe (to help build up our credit rating). We also did an AMEX Global Transfer as everyone here suggested.

DMV (DVLA) - go there as soon as get you SSN/arrive and book yourself in for the theory test then read the handbook they give you and download the DMV California app (not the free one) and keep practicing the test - it's really easy and then the wait for the actual driving test round here was 2 months after passing the theory (plus insurance goes down once you get your license)

I was worried about not living near my family and friends but it is what it is and quite quickly you'll meet mums through school who are in the same position as you and you help each other out.

My biggest learning curve here has been filling up my car. Have only one it twice in 2 months on my own (keep having to ask for help)

Can't think of anything else for the moment.... but hope it helps.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I wish they did have more rote learning. My kids are 17 and 20 and don't know their times tables or French verb conjugations, which I can still remember from school.
Funny how different school districts are different isn't it. My daughter learnt her multiplication tables in 4th grade here, they were really quite strict about it. They were quizzed every day, they had 1 minute to answer 50 questions, so they had to just know the answer, no time for figuring it out. Then in 5th grade they learnt all the states, state capitals, and where they were on a map, again they were quizzed quite rigorously on them.

I think we are very lucky in our current school district, we seem to be one of the very few places that teaches geography. My daughter is currently learning about the continents and oceans, different forms of rocks... They are currently studying Egypt in Social Studies, and also have to do maps in conjunction with that.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Funny how different school districts are different isn't it. My daughter learnt her multiplication tables in 4th grade here, they were really quite strict about it. They were quizzed every day, they had 1 minute to answer 50 questions, so they had to just know the answer, no time for figuring it out. Then in 5th grade they learnt all the states, state capitals, and where they were on a map, again they were quizzed quite rigorously on them.

I think we are very lucky in our current school district, we seem to be one of the very few places that teaches geography. My daughter is currently learning about the continents and oceans, different forms of rocks... They are currently studying Egypt in Social Studies, and also have to do maps in conjunction with that.
They might just be thick
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They might just be thick
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
Thanks you - I hadn't heard of Vons, but looks like they do deliver (although you have to sign up to check their product range).
Vons is not in the bay area but Safeway is (the parent of Vons) and Safeway does deliver. Even though I live across the street from a Safeway (a smaller Safeway), they deliver from one of the larger stores in the area so that there is complete selection of groceries.

If you order over $150 and select 5 items from a list of about 200 items (changes every week), delivery is free during a 1 hour window that you select. The are also "internet only" specials, "Just 4 You" specials, free items, and electronic manufacturer coupons.

Last time I had a order delivered, I saved $33 on "Just 4 You" and manufacturers coupons, $13.50 for internet specials, $53 on "card savings specials", 20 cents off per gallon at Chevron gas stations, and free delivery.

http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Home

You need to sign up for a free Safeway card to get their "card savings specials", delivery, "internet specials", "Just 4 You" specials, electronic manufacturers coupons, and up to 20 cent off per gallon at Chevron stations.

This weeks free items are a 8-12 lb turkey (since it is thanksgiving), Greek mousse, 10 oz bag of tortilla chips, sardines, Rana pastas, and guacamole.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 13th 2013 at 3:03 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.