Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Dreamin'

Wikiposts

California Dreamin'

Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:53 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Dreamin'

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
California law permits a vaccine waiver.
I thought only for all vaccinations, I didn't think you could pick and choose which ones.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think vaccinating against chicken pox is just going too far, and to my surprise the school nurse said, "It's not an effective one anyway; I'll say you have an objection and you won't get hassled any more."
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think vaccinating against chicken pox is just going too far, and to my surprise the school nurse said, "It's not an effective one anyway; I'll say you have an objection and you won't get hassled any more."
Interesting! We were most put out that we couldn't even elect to have the vaccination here - it's not a pleasant childhood illness, and we'd have preferred not to have our children go through it. However, since they've both now had it, the issue is now academic! I have heard that it is preferable for them to have the actual illness, as they're more likely to have proper immunity against shingles in later life, something I don't believe the vaccine provides.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

But doesn't having gotten the Chicken Pox vaccine mean that you won't get shingles?

Since her little ones have already had the pox, it is moot.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
But doesn't having gotten the Chicken Pox vaccine mean that you won't get shingles?

Since her little ones have already had the pox, it is moot.
I think it's the other way around.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-epidemic.aspx
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Mercola is an anti-vax nut job.

Here are the CDC pages on chicken pox and shingles.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/varicella/

http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/overview.html

Shingles is caused by the latent chicken pox virus left in the body after getting chicken pox as a child. There is a small chance that you can also get shingles from the vaccine but it's a lower chance than the wild virus.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Mercola is an anti-vax nut job.

Here are the CDC pages on chicken pox and shingles.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/varicella/

http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/overview.html

Shingles is caused by the latent chicken pox virus left in the body after getting chicken pox as a child. There is a small chance that you can also get shingles from the vaccine but it's a lower chance than the wild virus.
I don't see the need to vaccinate for chicken pox.

But my point was that there does seem to be some leeway within the system.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:03 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
your daughter (thank god) is one of the lucky ones. My nephew isnt. neither is 1 in 50. thats right 1 in 50! children have autism, there is a clear link to mercury and autism.
i would choose measles over autism anyday! I didnt want to take that chance with my child, I paid for single vaccines and guess what i dont have sleepless nights worrying whether that could have been the vaccine that gave my child autism.

the government is now shelling out millions to people in compensation. in out of court settlements. what you think if there wasnt a link the government would do this??!! come on....!

Even congress are admitting a link to vaccines
http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/2013...ou-that-10425/
I don't think this is the thread to debate this. Maybe open a new one if you want to?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I don't think this is the thread to debate this. Maybe open a new one if you want to?
Thank you! I didn't like to say it myself!!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
Thank you! I didn't like to say it myself!!
Stick around here long enough, and you'll notice that most threads go totally off topic within the first 15 replies.

It's kind of nice to have the debate side of things, but not on threads that are trying to help newbies.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
Stick around here long enough, and you'll notice that most threads go totally off topic within the first 15 replies.

It's kind of nice to have the debate side of things, but not on threads that are trying to help newbies.
Lol - yes, I've noticed that! But, thanks again for your plea - especially as this particular issue is a moot point for me!!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved the off topic posts relating to autism to a new thread in The Trailer Park.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814997
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
Thank you so much for your reassuring and helpful response!

With the immunisations, do you know what happens with chickenpox? My two have had all their UK vaccinations, but chickenpox isn't one of these; however, they've both had it, so won't now need the vaccination! Do we need proof they've had it - and if so, what kind of proof? I have some hideous photographic evidence, but guess a doctor's letter would be required?
I just told the children's paediatrician that they'd had chickenpox and she put it in their notes and wrote a letter for each child 'To whom it may concern.' I've used it a few times for things like ore-school, camps etc.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:49 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

If you search some of the other recent threads I've posted a bit. In short we moved to Foster city with a 7 yr old and a 5 yr old 9 weeks ago. What follows is a brain dump.

Schooling....v different, and there is no doubt they will be behind on maths if I don't do something. But literacy teaching is going well and the constant grading is helping my son be less slap dash!! I'm a teaching assistant in the UK and volunteering here 4 days a week to keep my hand in. It's honestly not been as bad as I thought.

Medical....we needed to get Hep B to get the kids into school. We also got UK doctors to write a note saying they had had varicella on the basis or pox photos. The school accepted this.

House prices..,.urg! Need I say more!!

Credit rating. ...our tips were that we went to VW directly for a car, no deposit required for Tmobile with hubby's visa type, AT&T waived deposit because we signed up to autopay, as did pacific gas and electric. Voila, minimal deposits paid and beginning to establish credit. It wasn't as bad as I feared.

Car insurance- we found Geico helpful and reasonably priced.

What to take- we took everything bar electronics (except for the nespresso , my guitar amp and sewing machine) which we run on a monster of a transformer

Shopping....trader Joes! Not as junk filled as Safeway, nor as expensive as whole foods. Costco also to keep costs down

Housework....you'll love the washing machine and tumble driers! A week's washing in 2 loads!

Hope some of this helps!
Missing home...if you haven't already, make sure everyone has an apple device for FaceTime. Also, on Tmobile for $10 extra a month I get free calls to UK landlines and free texts to UK mobiles. Has made keeping in touch really easy and I don't miss them as much as I thought.

Friends- it's actually been v easy to make friends. We've been here 9 weeks and I'm honestly not short of friends.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kins
I just told the children's paediatrician that they'd had chickenpox and she put it in their notes and wrote a letter for each child 'To whom it may concern.' I've used it a few times for things like ore-school, camps etc.
That sounds much easier than I'd expected, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.