Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

California Dreamin'

California Dreamin'

Old Nov 12th 2013, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default California Dreamin'

Hi current and aspiring British Expats!

I've been following this forum for a while, and am finding it really informative, so thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I'm Leanne, and will be moving with my husband and two children (who'll be 5 and 8 by then) to San Francisco's bay area in July next year, which is exciting and terrifying at the same time!!

I've found lots of the articles and discussions on here really interesting, both in allaying and increasing my concerns. The Wiki article on things to do before relocating was particularly useful at this stage!

Things I'm exciting about: the weather, the adventure, the amazing places to visit.

Things I'm worrying about: where to live, the house prices, schooling, building up a credit rating, what to take/not take, relearning the basics of everyday living (e.g. shopping/cooking/washing - which I know will be similar, but slightly different!), making friends, not living 10 mins from my mum, etc etc etc.

You can see my concerns list is a bit longer, which I guess is natural, but has anyone got any top tips on easing the transition?

Leanne
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:14 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Dreamin'

First off - what visa will you be moving on? Is your husband transferring within the company? Are you going to be seeking work?

to BE - those familiar with the West Coast will be up in a few hours
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
First off - what visa will you be moving on? Is your husband transferring within the company? Are you going to be seeking work?

to BE - those familiar with the West Coast will be up in a few hours
Thank you for your quick reply - I wasn't expecting any responses until later this afternoon!

My husband is being transferred, so we'll be on L1/L2 visas. I haven't decided if I'll work yet - ideally not, but will see how the finances pan out! That's one of the few things I'm not worrying about at the moment!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Well luckily with the L2 you are able to get work authorization, it does require an extra step once you are in the US (applying for an Employment Authorization Document) which does take around 90 days - but it will be approved and as soon as you have it you can work if you choose to do so.

There is plenty to worry about, we all know the feeling. Have you been there before?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Well luckily with the L2 you are able to get work authorization, it does require an extra step once you are in the US (applying for an Employment Authorization Document) which does take around 90 days - but it will be approved and as soon as you have it you can work if you choose to do so.

There is plenty to worry about, we all know the feeling. Have you been there before?
We've been to the US on holiday a number of times, including an amazing 2.5k mile road trip around California/Arizona/Nevada in 2005. I also spent 3 months working in Ocean City MD as part of a student exchange programme when I was 19. I joined my husband when he came out for his interview to look at the bay area with "living" rather than "holiday" eyes, and was really impressed! It's only now that the theory is becoming reality that the enormity of our Californian adventure is hitting me!!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 3:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
Hi current and aspiring British Expats!

I've been following this forum for a while, and am finding it really informative, so thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I'm Leanne, and will be moving with my husband and two children (who'll be 5 and 8 by then) to San Francisco's bay area in July next year, which is exciting and terrifying at the same time!!

I've found lots of the articles and discussions on here really interesting, both in allaying and increasing my concerns. The Wiki article on things to do before relocating was particularly useful at this stage!

Things I'm exciting about: the weather, the adventure, the amazing places to visit.

Things I'm worrying about: where to live, the house prices, schooling, building up a credit rating, what to take/not take, relearning the basics of everyday living (e.g. shopping/cooking/washing - which I know will be similar, but slightly different!), making friends, not living 10 mins from my mum, etc etc etc.

You can see my concerns list is a bit longer, which I guess is natural, but has anyone got any top tips on easing the transition?

Leanne
Hi Leanne, the Bay Area is a wonderful place to live, you are right to be excited. It's a great place to be on a day to day basis, you can also be in the City or at the beach within an hour, and Yosemite and Tahoe are just 4 hours away. No matter what it is you enjoy doing, you'll find it here. The weather is lovely too, as it gets cool in winter, but no snow (unless you seek it out) and rarely gets above 100 in the summer.

House prices in some parts of the bay are crazy, however areas like Foster City or Fremont area are cheaper than Palo Alto area. Competition for houses can also be very high, expect there to be around 20 other people wanting the same house. Also, be prepared to pay extra deposits on all your utilities, as you have no credit rating. There are loads of threads on schools, if you do a search at the top of the page (or even just look down recent threads in the US forum.)

It's good that you are aware that things will be slightly different, however, still be prepared for a few wobbles along the way. I remember bursting into tears because I didn't know where to buy baubles for the Christmas tree. It's always the simplest things...

Things to ease the transition. Make sure you have all the kids immunizations up to date for when you register them in school (different to UK.) Bring everything that you are unsure of, you'll instantly find you need it if you don't. Bring plenty of home comforts, chocolates and candy. If the kids have favorite foods/drinks try find out where to buy them, Robinsons squash for instance. If you don't have an Amex card, get one, you can transfer it to a US card when you get here, that will help your credit rating.

We live in Mountain View, and have a now 11 year old. We love living around here, and although had a shaky start to the school system, we were overall pleased with elementary, and have been very impressed with the first trimester at middle school. If you have any specific questions on the area, fire away.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to CA about 8 months ago. I'm in the Monterey Bay Area which is about an hour south of where you will be. All I'll say is West coast, best coast
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
Hi Leanne, the Bay Area is a wonderful place to live, you are right to be excited. It's a great place to be on a day to day basis, you can also be in the City or at the beach within an hour, and Yosemite and Tahoe are just 4 hours away. No matter what it is you enjoy doing, you'll find it here. The weather is lovely too, as it gets cool in winter, but no snow (unless you seek it out) and rarely gets above 100 in the summer.

House prices in some parts of the bay are crazy, however areas like Foster City or Fremont area are cheaper than Palo Alto area. Competition for houses can also be very high, expect there to be around 20 other people wanting the same house. Also, be prepared to pay extra deposits on all your utilities, as you have no credit rating. There are loads of threads on schools, if you do a search at the top of the page (or even just look down recent threads in the US forum.)

It's good that you are aware that things will be slightly different, however, still be prepared for a few wobbles along the way. I remember bursting into tears because I didn't know where to buy baubles for the Christmas tree. It's always the simplest things...

Things to ease the transition. Make sure you have all the kids immunizations up to date for when you register them in school (different to UK.) Bring everything that you are unsure of, you'll instantly find you need it if you don't. Bring plenty of home comforts, chocolates and candy. If the kids have favorite foods/drinks try find out where to buy them, Robinsons squash for instance. If you don't have an Amex card, get one, you can transfer it to a US card when you get here, that will help your credit rating.

We live in Mountain View, and have a now 11 year old. We love living around here, and although had a shaky start to the school system, we were overall pleased with elementary, and have been very impressed with the first trimester at middle school. If you have any specific questions on the area, fire away.
Thank you so much for your reassuring and helpful response!

With the immunisations, do you know what happens with chickenpox? My two have had all their UK vaccinations, but chickenpox isn't one of these; however, they've both had it, so won't now need the vaccination! Do we need proof they've had it - and if so, what kind of proof? I have some hideous photographic evidence, but guess a doctor's letter would be required?

We both have American Express cards - taken out earlier in the year entirely for the credit building. I don't think there's anything else we can do on this front beforehand, is there?

We're thinking of starting off in Pleasanton. Hubby's company's corporate bus has a stop there and it's where the only friends we currently have in the US live. However, I will check out the other places you mention, as suitable housing is looking so thin on the ground in Pleasanton.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by markonline1
I moved to CA about 8 months ago. I'm in the Monterey Bay Area which is about an hour south of where you will be. All I'll say is West coast, best coast
Haha - love it! Will have to remember that one!!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:56 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your reassuring and helpful response!

With the immunisations, do you know what happens with chickenpox? My two have had all their UK vaccinations, but chickenpox isn't one of these; however, they've both had it, so won't now need the vaccination! Do we need proof they've had it - and if so, what kind of proof? I have some hideous photographic evidence, but guess a doctor's letter would be required?

We both have American Express cards - taken out earlier in the year entirely for the credit building. I don't think there's anything else we can do on this front beforehand, is there?

We're thinking of starting off in Pleasanton. Hubby's company's corporate bus has a stop there and it's where the only friends we currently have in the US live. However, I will check out the other places you mention, as suitable housing is looking so thin on the ground in Pleasanton.
Get your doctor to make a note in your kids medical records, and bring a copy of all the medical records with you. We didn't do this, but told our US doctor, and I also had photo evidence Our doctor in the US made a note on the vaccination form to say that my daughter had had CP.

You will probably have more success with houses around Pleasanton, they are more readily available than this side of the bay, and cheaper. Keep in mind, good rentals normally go within 1 week, so don't worry too much if you only see 10 at the moment, there will be a different 10 next week...
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Haha - love it! Will have to remember that one!!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Get your doctor to make a note in your kids medical records, and bring a copy of all the medical records with you. We didn't do this, but told our US doctor, and I also had photo evidence Our doctor in the US made a note on the vaccination form to say that my daughter had had CP.

You will probably have more success with houses around Pleasanton, they are more readily available than this side of the bay, and cheaper. Keep in mind, good rentals normally go within 1 week, so don't worry too much if you only see 10 at the moment, there will be a different 10 next week...
That's really helpful again - many thanks!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, that's all a bit LA. This is more representative of my little part of California

Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you have all the kids immunizations up to date for when you register them in school (different to UK.)
California law permits a vaccine waiver.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
Unfortunately California law permits a vaccine waiver.
FTFY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.