California

Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: California

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
The concensus here seemed not to bother as it didn't cover much. .
didnt bother either as the excess was ridiculous - assume George W will help me out if the house falls in a hole (although we are not as big an earthquake area as you I still don't know anyone with it )
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:49 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Back to earthquakes, do my fellow Californians have disaster supplies and plans, or do you not worry about it? A lovely but Cassandra-like Iranian girl nearby was telling me about the '94 quake and how they were "shitting in the street for a week" and that "nobody will help you - no-one". she is not easily fazed having lived through all sorts in Iran and larking about during the big fires we had here, asking me why I was shaking!

As long as you all don't get all whiney about not being rescued withing 48 hours after the 'big one'...an 8.8 that kills a million or two. And as far as water and MRE's...forget it, there's too many of you. After the wild dogs eat the corpses of the million or so dead, I assume the survivalists will form hunting trips to kill them off, but I really am tired of hearing all the bitching and whining by all the folks who knew what the eventuality would be.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
As long as you all don't get all whiney about not being rescued withing 48 hours after the 'big one'...an 8.8 that kills a million or two. And as far as water and MRE's...forget it, there's too many of you. After the wild dogs eat the corpses of the million or so dead, I assume the survivalists will form hunting trips to kill them off, but I really am tired of hearing all the bitching and whining by all the folks who knew what the eventuality would be.
It is a pretty fair bet that I'll get whiney.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eskimo
didnt bother either as the excess was ridiculous - assume George W will help me out if the house falls in a hole (although we are not as big an earthquake area as you I still don't know anyone with it )
15% Co-insurance

Which means you would be 15% short rather than 100%

The maximum excess/deductible should be viewed it he light of your potential maximum loss. My guess is that it would still leave a healthy amount.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
15% Co-insurance

Which means you would be 15% short rather than 100%

The maximum excess/deductible should be viewed it he light of your potential maximum loss. My guess is that it would still leave a healthy amount.
is that 15% of the rebuild value ? thats not what we where told - I think it was a $200k excess, but there were so many exclusions and the premium was about 5k per year it didn't seem worth it
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Eskimo
is that 15% of the rebuild value ? thats not what we where told - I think it was a $200k excess, but there were so many exclusions and the premium was about 5k per year it didn't seem worth it
I was just going by the post on the first page by KEVNTRACE. My personal experiance were with commercial risks, but their numbers sounded about right.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, 15% of the rebuild value, which equates to about $75k in my case. I got my insurance thru AAA, which in turn uses CEA (California Earthquake Authority) for earthquake insurance. Contents coverage is $5k by default, which is pretty worthless in my opinion. I upped it to $75k which took the premium from $1800 to $2300.

Also there is some verbage about coverage if there is a massive catastrophe and the fund may not have enough to cover all claims. If that is the case, you can bet your arse I'll be whining.

Originally Posted by Boiler
I was just going by the post on the first page by KEVNTRACE. My personal experiance were with commercial risks, but their numbers sounded about right.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Only reason I've decided to take earthquake insurance is because I have a lot of equity in this darn house. I own about 85% and the bank owns 15%. If the numbers were the other way around, I would seriously consider not taking it.

Speaking of insurance, just been getting my insurance "life" in order this past year. I've taken out an umbrella policy, which covers me for $2M personal liability - again because of the house equity thing. And I'm the middle of a life insurance app now we have a kiddie. But its a lot of hassle - had a medic company come out and visit 4 times now to take blood and urine samples. Still waiting for the decision from the underwriter And I've got no medical condition I'm aware of, and I'm not on any medication.

Only thing I haven't looked at is long term disability insurance. I've read the scare stories that you are more likely to be left with a disability than suffer death in an accident, and which may mean you can't continue earning a living and may need constant medical care. So presently I'm not insured for that scenario - not sure how much insurance for that will be. Anyone taken out such a policy?

What with all these insurance policy premiums, mortgage and 401K I'll soon not have anything left to live on!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Only reason I've decided to take earthquake insurance is because I have a lot of equity in this darn house. I own about 85% and the bank owns 15%. If the numbers were the other way around, I would seriously consider not taking it.

Speaking of insurance, just been getting my insurance "life" in order this past year. I've taken out an umbrella policy, which covers me for $2M personal liability - again because of the house equity thing. And I'm the middle of a life insurance app now we have a kiddie. But its a lot of hassle - had a medic company come out and visit 4 times now to take blood and urine samples. Still waiting for the decision from the underwriter And I've got no medical condition I'm aware of, and I'm not on any medication.

Only thing I haven't looked at is long term disability insurance. I've read the scare stories that you are more likely to be left with a disability than suffer death in an accident, and which may mean you can't continue earning a living and may need constant medical care. So presently I'm not insured for that scenario - not sure how much insurance for that will be. Anyone taken out such a policy?

What with all these insurance policy premiums, mortgage and 401K I'll soon not have anything left to live on!

You have to draw the line somewhere.

No doubt the bank would require you to buy coverage.

PHI, well that's the UK term is/was provided usually by the employer in the UK if you had an OK or better package.

It was 50% of salary + pension contributions until the Pension kicked in.

Have nothing now. And this sort of benefit seems more and more restricted.

Death by accident is a low risk, hence cheap premiums.